Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #46
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 116,186
vCash: 10000
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman6t9 View Post
Heavyweight isn't the most important, it's just the one that's given the most press attention to the general public (well, in the UK, anyway). Fighters at other weights have to work a lot harder and longer to get anywhere near the same amount of exposure, like Calzaghe or Froch...so many people have heard of David Price or Tyson Fury, but Froch and Calzaghe were unknowns when they had the same title at SMW.

I remember it was really funny after David Haye beat Valuev, and all the TV presenters were saying 'So how does it feel to be champion of the world?' and he kept desperately trying to correct them that he'd had even more titles at CW. So no, HW isn't the most important division, its just the one that's most known, and that's probably why the Press always say 'Boxing is dead'...they don't know about the loads of other lively and competitive divisions.


That is hilarious about Haye.

His cruiser reign is far and away the bigger accomplishment than a somewhat controversial HW title win over the past-prime feather fisted giant.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #47
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: STL
Posts: 3,567
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Hell NO!!!!!1
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #48
Tman6t9
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 149
vCash: 300
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post


That is hilarious about Haye.

His cruiser reign is far and away the bigger accomplishment than a somewhat controversial HW title win over the past-prime feather fisted giant.
So true. I do wish the Press would just get behind people based on talent rather than size, but there it is. I was really happy when George Groves was on TV being interviewed all the time last year before and after his fight with DeGale. I was thinking 'Finally, someone who's not a HW is being exposed to the public'...and then the interview asked Groves if it was his dream to fight Amir Khan someday. So. Much. Hate.
Tman6t9 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #49
I Talk Tonight
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: We're not scaremongering, this is really happening
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Widely regarded as p4p number 1 of all time - SRR
Biggest gate for a boxing match - De La Hoya/Mayweather
Biggest cash cow in boxing ever - Mayweather
Greatest fights - Castillo/Corralles - Ward/Gatti - Hagler/Hearns

No
I Talk Tonight is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #50
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Talk Tonight View Post
Widely regarded as p4p number 1 of all time - SRR
Biggest gate for a boxing match - De La Hoya/Mayweather
Biggest cash cow in boxing ever - Mayweather
Greatest fights - Castillo/Corralles - Ward/Gatti - Hagler/Hearns

No
Not adjusted for inflation...

And greatest fights is subjective.

Ike-Tua had as much power punches thrown as 2 great welterweights in a fight.
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #51
Slyk
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 3533
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

The heavyweight crown will always be the most prestigious in boxing for the simple reason that said man with the crown could defeat any other man on the PLANET in a boxing match. Weight divisions protect smaller men, not the other way around. The HW king can say "I will fight anyone in the ring, and defeat them". Welterweight kings must say "I'll fight anyone...from XX weight to XX".

HW's don't need a disclaimer. They are the biggest men in the world and it makes them inherently more interesting/important.
Slyk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #52
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,318
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

These pass couple years the heavy weight class haven't been the top selling or the top watch class in the sport. The lower classes appears to be more entertaining to watch. I'm sure you have boxing fans who would love to see a good heavy weight bout, but if the class never has a outstanding era again. The sport of boxing will still thrive with out it.
Sunchild78 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #53
I Talk Tonight
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: We're not scaremongering, this is really happening
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
The heavyweight crown will always be the most prestigious in boxing for the simple reason that said man with the crown could defeat any other man on the PLANET in a boxing match. Weight divisions protect smaller men, not the other way around. The HW king can say "I will fight anyone in the ring, and defeat them". Welterweight kings must say "I'll fight anyone...from XX weight to XX".

HW's don't need a disclaimer. They are the biggest men in the world and it makes them inherently more interesting/important.
Boxing is about a level playing field, throw a ****ing bear in with Wlad and watch him lose. It's the same as throwing a Heavyweight in with a Lightweight. Means nothing.
I Talk Tonight is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #54
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 174
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Talk Tonight View Post
Boxing is about a level playing field, throw a ****ing bear in with Wlad and watch him lose. It's the same as throwing a Heavyweight in with a Lightweight. Means nothing.
Not entirely the same thing...
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #55
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Ivory Tower
Posts: 12,969
vCash: 588
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Not entirely, as far as I'm concerned, but it is the weight class I have always been most interested in and drawn to. Although I started following boxing during the 70s, during Ali's second reign, I still continue to be very interested in the HWs, regardless of whether they meet the high standard of the 70s or not.
Zakman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #56
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 174
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

The hw title has always been the most prestigious title in the sporting world because the bearer was officially the best (human ) fighter on the planet...

Also it's the weight class with the most kos which appeal to the average person
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #57
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 13,490
vCash: 275
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

One of the least competitive over the past 10 years with some of the worst top tier fighters = One of the worst divisions of the past 10 years

---

Think about an ATG list. How many HW's make the top 50 relative to "division jumpers" and is it justified? They carry their weight in that regards among the other divisions. How many HW's are really better than Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hopkins, or Jones though? Very few.

Think about a current P4P list. How many HW's make the top 100? 2 Klitschko's, 1 Povetkin, and that's it. Haye, Cunningham, and Adamek could on virtue of their cruiserweight runs and the rightfully deserved credit of fighting across multiple divisions.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #58
Manfred
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Yeah, when the HW division has exciting fighters, it can't be beat but right now it's devoid of flavor and dull as a mother****er.
Manfred is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #59
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 13,490
vCash: 275
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Talk Tonight View Post
Widely regarded as p4p number 1 of all time - SRR
Biggest gate for a boxing match - De La Hoya/Mayweather
Biggest cash cow in boxing ever - Mayweather
Greatest fights - Castillo/Corralles - Ward/Gatti - Hagler/Hearns

No
Cash cows should be a list of all of: Mayweather, Oscar, and Tyson.

Three fights which have been called "The Fight of the Century:"
1908- Jack Johnson vs. James J. Jeffries
1938- Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling II
1971- Joe Frazier vs. Muhammad Ali I

Some of the most well known and publicized fights of all time are:
-the above three "Fights of the Century"
-Ali's classics vs. Foreman, plus Frazier, Liston, and Norton rivalries
-Tyson's iconic run and particularly Douglas, Spinks, and Holyfield II
-Good battles with Holyfield/Bowe and Patterson/Johannson trilogies
-Louis in his racially significant and/or FOTY winners vs. Carnera, Baer, Schmeling I, Braddock, Farr, Pastor IIConn I
-Dempsey's iconic run particularly Willard, Firpo, Tunney I & II
-Overly hyped fights in Holmes vs. Cooney, Jones vs. Ruiz, and Klitschko vs. Haye.
-Lennox Lewis TKO6 Vitali Klitschko
-Marciano KO13 Walcott

HW's do have a special place in history. Much of it so happens to be the publicity, but nonetheless, much more than it's supposed 1/8th share of the finest history in boxing has happened in the division.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #60
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 1551
Default Re: Is heavyweight the only weight class that matters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Cash cows should be a list of all of: Mayweather, Oscar, and Tyson.

Three fights which have been called "The Fight of the Century:"
1908- Jack Johnson vs. James J. Jeffries
1938- Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling II
1971- Joe Frazier vs. Muhammad Ali I

Some of the most well known and publicized fights of all time are:
-the above three "Fights of the Century"
-Ali's classics vs. Foreman, plus Frazier, Liston, and Norton rivalries
-Tyson's iconic run and particularly Douglas, Spinks, and Holyfield II
-Good battles with Holyfield/Bowe and Patterson/Johannson trilogies
-Louis in his racially significant and/or FOTY winners vs. Carnera, Baer, Schmeling I, Braddock, Farr, Pastor IIConn I
-Dempsey's iconic run particularly Willard, Firpo, Tunney I & II
-Overly hyped fights in Holmes vs. Cooney, Jones vs. Ruiz, and Klitschko vs. Haye.
-Lennox Lewis TKO6 Vitali Klitschko
-Marciano KO13 Walcott

HW's do have a special place in history. Much of it so happens to be the publicity, but nonetheless, much more than it's supposed 1/8th share of the finest history in boxing has happened in the division.
Jack Johnson fought a guy who was well past prime, came from 300+ pounds.
Ali vs Frazier was Ali with a lot of clinching(not as much as 2 though) and 2 fighters past their physical prime and not that good. (Seeing Ali knocked down isn't worth 14 rounds)
Louis vs Schmeling, Louis was always better in rematches, much too onesided and Schmeling was already said to be past in in their first fight.

Oh well... heavyweights fights aren't that good, maybe Intentionalbutt was right all along
dyna is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013