Raging Bee is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: George Foreman vs Larry Holmes

When they were young? Holmes beats him up. jabs him to death, 6th or 7th round ko. Easy fight. Holmes was Ali with pop.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Foreman has a better shot if he fought him in his second career, in prime vs prime as much as it pains me too say Holmes by a ko or tko in the late rounds, he was too good of a boxer, better than Peralta or Young any of them
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

While Holmes was a good boxer he was not a defensive fighter like Young, Holmes got hit with the right hand and Foreman was a 2-fisted bomber with more killer and the will to win than Shavers but with poor stamina as well, If Larry survives the early rounds he can take George into deep water but can Larry survive George right hand, left hook and uppercuts...this fight is pick-em for me...Ali could rope a dope but Larry is not ALi
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Foreman clubs Larry Holmes to the canvas in the early rounds once maybe twice. I believe Holmes climbs off the canvas and survives. I agree Holmes isnt Ali but he has just as much heart and he knew how to get through being hurt. Look at the punch Shavers landed. Who else gets up after that?

By the midrounds Mr Holmes senses Foreman slowing down and starts peppering him with one two`s.

I like Larry Holmes by TKO in the 9th.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
I think Foreman clubs Larry Holmes to the canvas in the early rounds once maybe twice. I believe Holmes climbs off the canvas and survives. I agree Holmes isnt Ali but he has just as much heart and he knew how to get through being hurt. Look at the punch Shavers landed. Who else gets up after that?

By the midrounds Mr Holmes senses Foreman slowing down and starts peppering him with one two`s.

Agree Shavers said that was the hardest punch he ever landed as well... So i can't imagine many others who could've gotten up from that
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Holmes was easily capable of outboxing and outlasting Foreman providing he boxes with caution,and stays out of harm's way until George starts to tire. But count Foreman out at your peril !! If he lands a big right on Larry, a la Shavers,he knocks Holmes out. Shavers failed to follow up,but George would rarely let his man off the hook.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

I like Holmes in this one but he has to fight the right sort of fight or foreman could get the win
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post

good analysis but I do think there is a difference between Foreman and Shavers and finishing skills, Young did get Rocked badly by Foreman and survives to take George deep but Shavers had Lyle,Mercado,Cobb,Stander,and Holmes either down or hurt badly and got stopped shortly afterwards....I could see it going either way but IMO George had a bit more than Earnie to fear
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
good analysis but I do think there is a difference between Foreman and Shavers and finishing skills, Young did get Rocked badly by Foreman and survives to take George deep but Shavers had Lyle,Mercado,Cobb,Stander,and Holmes either down or hurt badly and got stopped shortly afterwards....I could see it going either way but IMO George had a bit more than Earnie to fear
Cant argue with that. Foreman was a terror in the ring. I wouldnot count him out. I do think Larry had enough pop on his jab and rightcross to make George show some respect as the fight went on.

Once Larry can establish that time and room to box I think it would go his way as the bout went into deep water.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Prime for prime I like Holmes to stop Foreman around 10-11, while healthily ahead on the cards...

Old vs Old I like Holmes to take an 8-4/9-3 type of decision.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Prime for prime I like Holmes to stop Foreman around 10-11, while healthily ahead on the cards...

Old vs Old I like Holmes to take an 8-4/9-3 type of decision.
Im with you..Holmes a much better boxer would work him over, maybe have George outa there around the 10th maybe sooner....Unless Holmes gets caught with something devistating, but I think Larry was smart and slick enough to not let that happen, but then again Spinks found a a way.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Old vs old I may have to give it to Foreman...That Foreman made miracles happen...
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Im with you..Holmes a much better boxer would work him over, maybe have George outa there around the 10th maybe sooner....Unless Holmes gets caught with something devistating, but I think Larry was smart and slick enough to not let that happen, but then again Spinks found a a way.
Perhaps Spinks always had the style to cause Holmes trouble (although I am not convinced)...Either way, this is hardly a peak/prime Holmes so I am not sure why we would refrence this version anymore than Foreman of the Jimmy Young fight???
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Perhaps Spinks always had the style to cause Holmes trouble (although I am not convinced)...Either way, this is hardly a peak/prime Holmes so I am not sure why we would refrence this version anymore than Foreman of the Jimmy Young fight???
Your right..it wasnt peak Holmes...Spinks I believe just had Larrys number, although im not completely convinced either...And I thought everyone forgot about that Jimmy Young fella...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum