Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Boxnation Financial Figures released

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:

Financial figures have been released by Boxing Channel Media Ltd, the company behind subscription television channel BoxNation.

The bottom line of abbrieviated accounts covering the period up to January 31st 2012 show a Shareholders’ Fund in the negative to the tune of £2,175,259.

The Profit and Loss account shows a loss of £4,175,739 for the first period of trading which is mainly ameliorated by a share premium account of £1,999,800 of which £1,445,000 remains unpaid.

The going concern accounting policy shows that the directors will provide continued support for the foreseeable future.
shaunster101 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 650
Default Re: Boxnation Financial Figures released

I would call that bull****. IF this years trading isnt good the shareholders will want to jump ship asap if they are not already looking for a way out. Its doomed to fail as much as I would like to be proved wrong I just cant see it. IF the first half of 2013 isnt a improvement it might not see out 2013 in my opinion. They are losing out to fights to ESPN and Premier and the more competition from these will put the final nail in the coffin.
leighton is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
I would call that bull****. IF this years trading isnt good the shareholders will want to jump ship asap if they are not already looking for a way out. Its doomed to fail as much as I would like to be proved wrong I just cant see it. IF the first half of 2013 isnt a improvement it might not see out 2013 in my opinion. They are losing out to fights to ESPN and Premier and the more competition from these will put the final nail in the coffin.
These numbers are pretty much what you'd expect for a start-up TV station. Did anyone expect them to make a profit straight off the bat?

It could be two to three years before they see that. What I'd like to see is the current revenue and projections for 2013.

But then, considering lots of "in the know" posters said it would be gone in six months, I think we can ignore the wisdom of ESB.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
These numbers are pretty much what you'd expect for a start-up TV station. Did anyone expect them to make a profit straight off the bat?

It could be two to three years before they see that. What I'd like to see is the current revenue and projections for 2013.

But then, considering lots of "in the know" posters said it would be gone in six months, I think we can ignore the wisdom of ESB.
Thats the thing they made a huge lose for the year how many Subs have they lost within that year aswell? As those subs wont be included in next years numbers. IF a Golf channel failed then the boxing station will go aswell and at the time of the Golf channel they had huge content for 4 days of the week or more at some times with most of it live content. The boxing station will find it hard to ever get a profit even if it was given 10 years it wouldnt ever make a profit in my opinion.
leighton is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

I think its pretty well known in business from directors, shareholders and the like that a business isn't going to be swimming in profit immediately. I believe start up companies should expect to run at a loss for the first 3 years. BN has serious backing and an established product to a degree but they need to get their subscriber base up, which I assume then allows them to increase their advertising portfolio as their exposure increases.

Like Hearns said, boxing is a terrible business model and its simply another area the UFC exposes but year 1 shouldn't be over ****ysed.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton View Post
Thats the thing they made a huge lose for the year how many Subs have they lost within that year aswell? As those subs wont be included in next years numbers. IF a Golf channel failed then the boxing station will go aswell and at the time of the Golf channel they had huge content for 4 days of the week or more at some times with most of it live content. The boxing station will find it hard to ever get a profit even if it was given 10 years it wouldnt ever make a profit in my opinion.
But you're basing that on your opinion, not facts and figures. BN is actually quite a sound model - the international rights aren't crazily expensive and the Haye and Mayweather fights they've broadcast probably brought in decent revenue for the months surrounding them.

It'll take a while to nail the strategy and best approach.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

They don't make brilliant reading, that's for sure.

Because the accounts are abbreviated there's not a lot of info to go on, so you can't really say too much.

Even if there were, you still couldn't anyway, for different reasons

If Allegedly is willing to underwrite this venture, then so be it.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
leighton
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
But you're basing that on your opinion, not facts and figures. BN is actually quite a sound model - the international rights aren't crazily expensive and the Haye and Mayweather fights they've broadcast probably brought in decent revenue for the months surrounding them.

Everything is about opinions and I think its all about how they do there business. Saying that they have the likes of ESPN showing some sort of interest in boxing now along with Sky it would be interesting to see how they cope with the added pressure of those for the big contracts in the long term.

Also added into the fact that Golden Boy are looking to set up in the UK aswell. Golden Boy could well go to any UK Based tv company and offer the content of all there fights to the biggest bidder and walk out on deals with Boxnation. So it could well be a case of Boxnation having F W on it and some German cards and losing out on a lot of there American cards from Golden Boy. I just dont see how they can survive if they lose out on a big American companies fights if they go looking for a tv deal for there fighters in the UK and add in the American fights into the deal.
leighton is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

There is so much I want to say but the fear of a lawsuit stops me.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

ok were not expecting them to make a profit, but losses in excess of £2million is really really bad.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

do you really think the people behind it are capable of that? I see plenty of ways that BoxNation could improve its service for existing subscribers but i don't really see how it can boost its subscriber numbers.
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

If they stick to the cheap cards from abroad and a few domestic cards a year then they should be ok in the medium term. That only worry/uncertainty is if BT Sport start hoovering up the rights to overseas cards to bolster their portfolio, then Boxnation is left with very few options going forward.
I Shot JR is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
ok were not expecting them to make a profit, but losses in excess of £2million is really really bad.
They're really not that bad. It's a high baseline, limited turnover business. Unlike Sky in its early years it didn't have the News Corp muscle to underwrite its losses.

But, before calling it bad, what did you expect it to do? You were one of the ones saying it would have collapsed after six months. It's still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA Rob View Post
do you really think the people behind it are capable of that? I see plenty of ways that BoxNation could improve its service for existing subscribers but i don't really see how it can boost its subscriber numbers.
Well, it's clear from this paragraph that you don't have the capability to think of how. From what I understand they've got a decent management team with a grounding in TV network development.

It will take two to three years to see a profit, I'd expect.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
USA Rob
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shot JR View Post
If they stick to the cheap cards from abroad and a few domestic cards a year then they should be ok in the medium term. That only worry/uncertainty is if BT Sport start hoovering up the rights to overseas cards to bolster their portfolio, then Boxnation is left with very few options going forward.
but does that bring in enough subscribers for it to be worthwhile?

purley in terms of W*rren, will any fighter renew there deal with him?
USA Rob is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shot JR View Post
That would be true, but I don't see it happening. When ESPN came on the scene, a lot of people on here (including me) thought they'd go for it since they already had their US content. Turned out they just ignored that in favour of football.

But it might happen - even if they've *****ed a huge amount on the poisoned chalice of football.

I still suspect that BN is being built just to be sold. Another broadcaster with the economies of scale to offset the production costs could make it profitable a lot faster, especially with a promoter already attached. Just a thought.
dftaylor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum