Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #46
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Johnson Ketchel knockdown set up fake

I think the best proof is watching the fight film. I remember as a teen watching the knockdown literally frame by frame. My parents had a film spilcer with a 3 inch screen. I could run the film, hand cranked, as slow as i wanted. Johnson, as soon as Ketchel ****s his right to throw it, starts sliding to the canvas. You don't see a reaction like this from JJ in any of his other bouts and quite honestly no fighter starts sliding to the floor in anticipation of a punch unless his intention is to fake a KD. I forget what smith said as to the reason for the faked KD but quite obviously JJ wanted a reason to ko Ketchel. Can anyone with access to that interview chime in with details that I have forgotten over the years?
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #47
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOUDINI View Post
I think the best proof is watching the fight film. I remember as a teen watching the knockdown literally frame by frame. My parents had a film spilcer with a 3 inch screen. I could run the film, hand cranked, as slow as i wanted. Johnson, as soon as Ketchel ****s his right to throw it, starts sliding to the canvas. You don't see a reaction like this from JJ in any of his other bouts and quite honestly no fighter starts sliding to the floor in anticipation of a punch unless his intention is to fake a KD. I forget what smith said as to the reason for the faked KD but quite obviously JJ wanted a reason to ko Ketchel. Can anyone with access to that interview chime in with details that I have forgotten over the years?
that's kinda my point though, the kd itself isn't enough to label it a fix as plenty of people have watched it and concluded it is legit.

I'm tryna say the film doesn't prove it beyond reasonable doubt.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #48
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Why did Johnsons left leg fold in before the punch was landed though, and why when he initially saw the punch coming he instinctively backed away abit and then seemed to realise and stop and fold his left leg in and fall, the way he fell too he puts his left arm around Ketchels back and when he lands on the canvas his left hand perfectly lands on the canvas balancing him, and then once his hand perfectly lands on the canvas to balance him a second later his legs can barely push him up and he seems very dazed and then lands a hard punch and knocks him out, seems abit too far fetched to me
What if Johnson anticipated the punch, moved to avoid it, but just got clipped on the ear?
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #49
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

The chances of a clip to the ear being enough to knockdown Johnson seem a little strange
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #50
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

There is a pretty clear copy of the fight on Youtube. They don't show it in slow motion and just watching the film as is does not provide enough info. In slow motion however JJ starts to the floor before the punch is anywhere near him. I seem to remember that the fight was thought to be a miss match and that Ketchel wore padding in his clothes and high heeled boots for promotional photos to hide the size differential. There is no doubt that the KO was legit but I just don't buy the KD....Johnson just does not try to get away from shots like this by ducking them and he was sliding to the floor pretty much as Ketchel ****ed his right hand to throw it.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #51
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Smith doesn't really give an explicit reason why, but says "they pulled a fake knockdown". He describes the knockdown quite accurately, and the fight as a mismatch.
I guess the reason the KD was faked was to add drama to the fight reports and increase the value of the fight film.

Anyhow, I too have been saying this KD was fake long before I became aware of Smith's comments.
I didn't go in to viewing the fighting looking for a fake KD but as a boxing fan wanted to see Ketchel's famed right, and ended up seeing a fake knockdown.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #52
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post

No paper says it was a phantom punch. McVey doesn't like newspapers that ruin his agenda. Nothing new here.

How can you keep parroting this when they clearly did and one was posted here to prove it. Sometimes I wonder about you. Youve got this agenda that really keeps the blinders on you.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #53
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Another point is...if the fight indeed was fake and both men agreed not to throw a KO blow (which Ive read countless times) what is forgotten is that JJ did indeed KD Ketchel earlier in the fight and busted him up pretty bad over the first 11 rounds. Funny I don't remember Fleisher writting much about this bout. You would think of all people he would know the truth since he was best friends (literally) with both men. Unless of course he knew the truth and this is why he did not write much about it????
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #54
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Another point is...if the fight indeed was fake and both men agreed not to throw a KO blow (which Ive read countless times) what is forgotten is that JJ did indeed KD Ketchel earlier in the fight and busted him up pretty bad over the first 11 rounds. Funny I don't remember Fleisher writting much about this bout. You would think of all people he would know the truth since he was best friends (literally) with both men. Unless of course he knew the truth and this is why he did not write much about it????
Good point
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #55
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Are you saying BOTH men faked the KD? My vantage point is that for some unknown reason JJ himself decided to fake his KD to give a reason why he KOed Ketchel. Or are you saying both the KD and the KO were faked?
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #56
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

The point about fleisher not writing much about it
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #57
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Are you saying BOTH men faked the KD? My vantage point is that for some unknown reason JJ himself decided to fake his KD to give a reason why he KOed Ketchel. Or are you saying both the KD and the KO were faked?
No, no one says the KO was fake.
Smith said "they pulled a fake knockdown" but that's possibly just a turn of phrase, like he's referring to Johnson and his backers as 'they'.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #58
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
The chances of a clip to the ear being enough to knockdown Johnson seem a little strange
Not necessarily.

You have a nerve bundle at the base of the ear, and believe it or not, you actually use your ears for balance!
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #59
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

I agree with one of mcvey's earlier posts
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #60
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Johnson appears to be falling before the punch lands,if it indeed lands.
He had agreed to take it easy on Ketchel, and did, as can clearly be seen.

I think Ketchel got frisky ,Johnson saw it coming, went down to make it look good ,and decided to take revenge once he arose.
This is the quote
Mr Butt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum