Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Protein Shakes - Training

I workout Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays and take a protein shake post workout, should I incorporate them as part of my daily diet? Including the days I dont train? and should I have 2 one the days I do train? 1 for breakfast and one post workout?
rampant is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Aplin
Nak Muay
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Protein Shakes - Training

That question is impossible to answer based on what you've written.

It depends how much protein you get during the day.

Protein shakes are a supplement... supplement means something that completes or enhances something else when added to it.

Therefore: protein shakes are a small part of your overall protein intake.
Aplin is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #3
Aplin
Nak Muay
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

If you are an adult multiply your body weight in ibs by 0.6.

In my case, 170ibs is around 102.

My minimum protein intake should therefore be 102grams a day (for repair & recovery).

I'd recommend up to 0.8 depending on your goals (i.e. building muscle).

--

If you take 25g protein in the AM and 25g protein after training, you've taken 50g of your protein. You then need to find the rest from other foods.

Example:

0.6 x 170ibs = 102 grams of protein required to sustain body weight and repair my body after training.

25g protein shake
25g protein shake
32g protein in tuna roll
20g protein in fish

Total: 102g protein goal has been accomplished.
Aplin is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cheers, Im around same weight 80kg (bit heavier) but looking to lose a few and increase muscle but not by lifting weights other than small weights and kettlebells.

The protein Im using gives me 32g per shake, I dont stick to a full on diet as Im not training for anything specific other than for health reason's and looking good.

Makes sense so you also maintain those levels of protein on days not training?
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

How long do you train for during those three days? Sounds more like you don't work out enough to even need protein supplements.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
How long do you train for during those three days? Sounds more like you don't work out enough to even need protein supplements.
1hr sessions, they are boxercise classes and are of quite a high intensity, Its a diet protein which is supposed to also aid fat burning and I thought would help with recovery?

I do also cycle 10miles a day which is commuting to a from work.

Do you think I dont need them, will they not provide any real benefit?

I also thought it would help with keeping my calorie intake low/lower

Here'san example of what I might eat on a daily basis.

Breakfast - Yoghurt mixed with muesli / banana
Mid Morning - Coffee and snack bar
Lunch - Sandwich or Left over dinners, Chicken/Rice/Lasagne/Jacket potato/Bolognaise/pizza not strict
Mid Afternoon - Fruit,
Dinner - As lunch, I will eat before going to a class and only have a protein shake post workout no more food intake.

Water throughout the day, have a Vitam C with Zinc drink in the morning and take fish oil tablet with lunch.

Weekend may blow out a little and have chicken wings / ribs and probably some alcohol

Recently had a healthcheck done and am at 17% bodyfat

Last edited by rampant; 01-09-2013 at 10:50 AM.
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Depends on context. Variables such as:

- Type of training.
- Gaining or losing weight,
- If the latter, how large is your caloric deficit.
- How lean you are.

An example of why they have any significance:

If you're quite lean and training with intensity, fat is going to become less of a preferencial fuel in the body. You're also going to go through periods of glycogen depletion if you're lean and in a calorie deficit, so processes like gluconeogenesis (essentially protein being converted to carbohydrate) are going to increase. Now, gluconeogenesis only works one way; amino acids can be converted in to glucose, whereas glucose cannot be converted to amino acids. So that's one example of how protein needs can increase.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
So would you say I dont really need to take protein shakes? Will they not help with building leaner muscle anyway?
rampant is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampant View Post
So would you say I dont really need to take protein shakes? Will they not help with building leaner muscle anyway?
You mentioned you're not working towards anything more other than losing weight and "looking good". You also only workout every other day (need more specifics) which only leads to believe protein shakes aren't very helpful in your case.
You already get plenty of rest between workouts. I'm not the expert on supplements here, but 32 grams per shake is crazy. Please don't say you have multiple shakes a day.
You would benefit more on focusing on the actual workouts to see more physical results.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
You mentioned you're not working towards anything more other than losing weight and "looking good". You also only workout every other day (need more specifics) which only leads to believe protein shakes aren't very helpful in your case.
You already get plenty of rest between workouts. I'm not the expert on supplements here, but 32 grams per shake is crazy. Please don't say you have multiple shakes a day.
You would benefit more on focusing on the actual workouts to see more physical results.
I only have a shake post workout and only on those days - it's a diet protein look it up you see it with just googling diet protein.

What specific's do you need? what I'm doing in my workouts? They are classes so group and partners. (Boxercise)

Workouts are varied on each day but incorporate all the floor type excersises, can also be circuit orientated and includes padwork but not for boxing technique just for fitness, although does include combinations, slipping/blocking/ducking and moving after each combo or could be more of a drill type, floor exercises will also be combined with using pads.

They are usually quite a high intensity though and include alot of squats / lunges.

Cheers for responses.
rampant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing