boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Someone on this forum thinks so, and thinks I'm the ignorant nuthugger of modern day fighters because I don't agree. I think he's quite possibly demented honestly. What do you think?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38,055
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Jones is faster.

From conception to detonation Louis is faster p4p at punching, possibly faster actually.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Jones is faster.

From conception to detonation Louis is faster p4p at punching, possibly faster actually.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Simple.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,726
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Jones is faster.

From conception to detonation Louis is faster p4p at punching, possibly faster actually.
Are you saying Louis is faster at reacting to a punching opportunity because he is certainly not. Reactions, speed and getting his shots off first is 1 thing you cant take away from RJJ
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #6
joekirkbycobra
King Of The Ring
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: liverpool (kirkby)
Posts: 1,985
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

jones faster by a mile foot and hand
joekirkbycobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38,055
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Are you saying Louis is faster at reacting to a punching opportunity because he is certainly not. Reactions, speed and getting his shots off first is 1 thing you cant take away from RJJ
No, i'm not.

I'm saying that from conception to detonation Louis is faster p4p, and may have been faster actually.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
No, i'm not.

I'm saying that from conception to detonation Louis is faster p4p, and may have been faster actually.
So you're saying he had faster hands in other words. His punches traveled faster is what you're saying?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38,055
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
His punches traveled faster is what you're saying?
No.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,726
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
No, i'm not.

I'm saying that from conception to detonation Louis is faster p4p, and may have been faster actually.
Conception = thought of the punch
Detonation = threw the punch or landed the punch?

So the time between when he thought of the punch until it was thrown or started to be thrown?

Either way RJJ is allot faster
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38,055
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher
Conception = thought of the punch
Detonation = threw the punch or landed the punch?

So the time between when he thought of the punch until it was thrown or started to be thrown?

Either way RJJ is allot faster
Well, we disagree.

Cerainly in a p4p sense Louis is faster than Jones @ 168 in terms of handspeed + distance of a serious punch. Tha seems obvious. Overall? Close.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:29 PM   #12
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 9,693
vCash: 238
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

It's closer than it appears so. I mean, we're talking about handspeed, right? Jones is in another world when it comes to footspeed and general body movement, but in pure handspeed, they're very close, especially in a pound for pound sense. If Louis had Ali's footspeed, then you'd have Jones.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Well, we disagree.

Cerainly in a p4p sense Louis is faster than Jones @ 168 in terms of handspeed + distance of a serious punch. Tha seems obvious. Overall? Close.
What do you mean by distance of a serious punch? You seem to be basing it on the fact that Louis threw shorter, more compact punches, therefore it's close as to the destination time between the two, because Jones a lot of time threw punches from the outside. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking pure speed, pure hand and body speed. Jones would be out of punching range and jump in so quick with a straight shot from a distance that nobody would see it coming. That's speed. Louis had speed of hand, but your argument is based on how quickly the punch gets to the destination, and your argument for Louis is based on the fact that he threw shorter punches, which would obviously get there quicker(though still, a blink of an eye is a blink of an eye, so he's not really even faster in that sense, and then there's the fact that Jones could throw 5 short punches in a row in the span of about a second). I'm talking pure speed though, quickness, that is what this thread is about.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 38,055
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Jones is faster.

In purely funcional terms, Louis is the faster puncher.

I understand what it is you are saying, but don't be to dismissive of this fact/presented fact.
McGrain is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:16 PM   #15
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: I never sleep, cuz sleep is the cousin of death
Posts: 13,604
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Was Joe Louis faster P4P than Roy Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain
Jones is faster.

In purely funcional terms, Louis is the faster puncher.

I understand what it is you are saying, but don't be to dismissive of this fact/presented fact.
I now understand your argument on this, but either way, Louis's punches, even though shorter, were easily avoidable by many fighters. Jones's longer distance punches were less avoidable, so even though I understand where you're coming from and it seems reasonable, it's still not neccessarily true. Louis was much more avoidable than Jones, so I don't believe he was a faster puncher in functional terms either, not by a good ways.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015