Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
santiagoraga
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Benson Henderson can't finish

Funny how so many couch potatoes dissed GSP for his lack of finishes, yet when it comes to Benson Henderson...crickets.
santiagoraga is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117
Default Re: Benson Henderson can't finish

GSP is playing it to safe at times i think he said that he something along the lines of I went in there to win and not to fight.
Benson on the other hand when was the last time you saw him in a boring fight?
At least he tries to finish fights and GSP didnt want to finish them he was content with a UD
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Gsp doesn't go for the finish, hendo does but has faced two of the hardest to stop fighters in the sport! But the elite level are much harder to stop.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
chrisbonnie
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Gsp doesn't go for the finish, hendo does but has faced two of the hardest to stop fighters in the sport! But the elite level are much harder to stop.
i think you're being unfair to GSP there.

the only fight where he should have finished, imo was the Hardy fight. Hardy was nowhere near his level, and Georges should have disposed of him like a used nappy.

The fight fight was a mauling, Fitch was knocked down, and basically battered from pillar to post for the full 5 rounds. Thiago Alves was the same.

the condit fight was close, so you could hardly slate him for that.

Henderson on other hand is boooooooooooooooooring.

i cant stand watching him fight. He lost both fights against Frankie Edgar yet goes on like he's gods gift to the lightweight division. Im not a fan, he's just not entertaining, too much fence hugging for my liking
chrisbonnie is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Benson has only had one fight that I would even consider boring, and that would be the second Edgar fight. He has been in at least two fights that I consider ATG's, and has been in several others that would earn FOTN on the majority of cards.

Far from boring.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
GSP is playing it to safe at times i think he said that he something along the lines of I went in there to win and not to fight.
Benson on the other hand when was the last time you saw him in a boring fight?
At least he tries to finish fights and GSP didnt want to finish them he was content with a UD
This actually proves the TS' point.

Henderson is actually TRYING to finish fights -- and can't. You agree St. Pierre is not trying. When he was (Pre-Serra upset) 9 of his 13 victories came via stoppage. (Not including the cut-stoppage against Denny.)

When does one draw the line between "not being in a boring fight" and just plain "sucks"? (Not implying Henderson sucks, at all.)

Henderson doesn't finish fights because he's putting on a show? Can the same be said about the likes of Leonard Garcia?
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

hendersons cardio is why he plays it safe, he doesnt want to go for a finish and leave himself half ****ed in the last rd

he is a very clever fighter and he knows playing it safe is the best option because of his drastic weight cut
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
santiagoraga
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Exactly, he can't finish. He's unable to finish fights. What champ hasn't faced elite competition? Hardly a reason.
santiagoraga is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Not his style, GSP either. Guys like Anderson Silva, Jon Dodson, JDS, and Johny Hendricks finish fights because they are trying to punch you out.

I would compare GSP and Ben Henderson to Boxers, whereas the others are similar to Boxer Punchers.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree with Rob Floyd, Bendo is far from boring - he's got more surprises and tools in his arsenal than the average fighter, as we tend to see from guys that have a more diverse martial arts background than the typical wresting, muay thai, BJJ guy.

I also agree that knockouts and finishes are exciting. However, the knockout artists (exception to Anderson Silva) tend to lose just as spectacularly as they win. Who's to say which style is better?

GSP and Bendo are solid champs - GSP has defended his title very impressively, and Bendo will probably do the same.

They will always be challenged by young brash reckless fighters who will make for exciting fights - why complain? They're champs because of their smart styles.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #11
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

It was prior UFC but within the last 3 years hes managed to finish 2 pretty good Lightweights in Cerrone and Varner. GSP hasnt finished a fight in close to 5 years.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

If Ben Henderson starts to finish guys! wow, we'll have a serious ****ing monster on our hands.

He's great to watch, and looks to cause damage while keeping a cool strategic head on he's a terrific fighter!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #13
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiagoraga View Post
Exactly, he can't finish. He's unable to finish fights. What champ hasn't faced elite competition? Hardly a reason.
He can't finish incredibly difficult to finish fighters but he can finish.

Nate Diaz - finished once in 2006 despite having fought Guida, Stevenson, Guillard, Maynard, McDonald, Gomi, Cerrone and Miller both at 170 and 185.
Frankie Edgar - Never finished despite having fought Miller, Griffin, Maynard, Sherk and Penn.

On the flip side, Hendo has finished 10 of his 18 victories.

I agree that Hendo is going on some insane run that looks like he can't finish but I think that has alot to do with fighting top operators and him trying to finish his opponents from the off. These fighters shut up shop and it becomes very difficult to stop an opponent who isn't trading as willingly as you are. Its also very difficult to force a stoppage, only true terminators like Tyson could do that.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
achillesthegreat
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbonnie View Post
i think you're being unfair to GSP there.

the only fight where he should have finished, imo was the Hardy fight. Hardy was nowhere near his level, and Georges should have disposed of him like a used nappy.

The fight fight was a mauling, Fitch was knocked down, and basically battered from pillar to post for the full 5 rounds. Thiago Alves was the same.

the condit fight was close, so you could hardly slate him for that.

Henderson on other hand is boooooooooooooooooring.

i cant stand watching him fight. He lost both fights against Frankie Edgar yet goes on like he's gods gift to the lightweight division. Im not a fan, he's just not entertaining, too much fence hugging for my liking
He doesn't appear to be trying to stop Shields, Koscheck or Hardy. Thats where he developed the look of someone who doesn't want to finish. The GSP vs Condit shocked me in his approach and him getting hurt so badly shows why he doesn't take the risks that he did a few years ago.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

Quote:
He can't finish incredibly difficult to finish fighters but he can finish.

Nate Diaz - finished once in 2006 despite having fought Guida, Stevenson, Guillard, Maynard, MacDonald, Gomi, Cerrone and Miller both at 170 and 185.
Nate Diaz has never fought at 185lbs.

And of course Ben Henderson has fought tough competition -- but so has Georges St. Pierre. The irony in the attempt to contrast both Henderson and St. Pierre's competition is that there almost is no distinction between the two weight classes (155, 170lbs) -- as they are, by far, the two top weight divisions in the sport.

Sure, Henderson has beaten: Frankie Edgar (2x), Nate Diaz, Jim Miller, Clay Guida.

But St. Pierre has fought his own list of durability-personified fighters: Jon Fitch, Matt Hughes (2x), Josh Koscheck (2x), Jake Shields (finished just once leading up to his title-shot), B.J. Penn (2x), Sean Sherk (never been stopped leading up to their fight).
the_bigunit is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum