Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default tall pressure fighters

So last friday I was sparring this guy at my gym. He's taller than me and has a longer reach, doesn't hit very hard at all but has a lot of agression, speed and energy. Likes to pressure people, fight at a pace they're not comfortable fighting at. I don't mean to sound ****y but this is honestly what usually happens. When someone tastes my power they revert to staying on the outside and circling away from me, especially if they have a longer reach. This guy fights in explosive bursts almost like charges with straight punches pushing off his back foot throwing 4-8 in a row. I am not used to being pressured so it's new to me. When I try to fight fire with fire by charging back at him we usually end up in a clinch and he holds me. He's kind of awkward or maybe i'm just not used to this type of fight. After a few rounds I switched up my game plan a little bit, rather than clashing with him I stepped back as he lunged in and launched an uppercut that caught him flush on the chin. I can also bob and weave and come up with a big hook. He doesn't like getting hit by me but I honestly think he just doesn't know how to fight backing up. Maybe he's just aggressive in nature. Have you guys ever came across a fighter like this? Not a big puncher, tall, long reach, fast, energetic and aggressive? He's the only guy I know that is like this, any thoughts on how to deal with this guy? He doesnt get the better of me usually but he always takes me out of my comfort zone. I've been timing him and catching him with big shots one at a time kind of as a counter puncher...advice.thoughts?
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: tall pressure fighters

Watch Mayweather vs Corrales

Mayweather in middle rounds was using stealing tactics: each time Corrales was charging for the strike, Mayweather would "slap" him light and fast. He did the same with Hutton, but Hutton was smaller, so this is not your case. This stealing tactics is very distracting. So you need couple of quick punches in your arsenal and good footwork for that
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah Corrales thats a good call, I was thinking margarito too they're both tall and lengthy but pressure fighters not particularly noted for being KO artists but aggressive pressure fighters. Mayweather ****ed up Corrales lol
Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
tchaoyeah
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

watch how martinez or lara beat paul williams
tchaoyeah is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
So last friday I was sparring this guy at my gym. He's taller than me and has a longer reach, doesn't hit very hard at all but has a lot of agression, speed and energy. Likes to pressure people, fight at a pace they're not comfortable fighting at. I don't mean to sound ****y but this is honestly what usually happens. When someone tastes my power they revert to staying on the outside and circling away from me, especially if they have a longer reach. This guy fights in explosive bursts almost like charges with straight punches pushing off his back foot throwing 4-8 in a row. I am not used to being pressured so it's new to me. When I try to fight fire with fire by charging back at him we usually end up in a clinch and he holds me. He's kind of awkward or maybe i'm just not used to this type of fight. After a few rounds I switched up my game plan a little bit, rather than clashing with him I stepped back as he lunged in and launched an uppercut that caught him flush on the chin. I can also bob and weave and come up with a big hook. He doesn't like getting hit by me but I honestly think he just doesn't know how to fight backing up. Maybe he's just aggressive in nature. Have you guys ever came across a fighter like this? Not a big puncher, tall, long reach, fast, energetic and aggressive? He's the only guy I know that is like this, any thoughts on how to deal with this guy? He doesnt get the better of me usually but he always takes me out of my comfort zone. I've been timing him and catching him with big shots one at a time kind of as a counter puncher...advice.thoughts?
My strategy would be to ensure he doesn't have the opportunity to throw his combos.

Counter his lead punch to prevent him getting his combo started.

When he steps in to start his combo with a jab, drop down low and throw a straight right into his solar-plexus and follow with a left hook upstairs.

Throw an over-hand right over the top of his jab.

Slip his jab (either way and start you counter with an uppercut with the appropriate hand).

Any of the above options should reduce the likelihood of getting a blistering combo started.

Another option is to "be first" - put him on the defensive. If you a are not ready to throw, use plenty of lateral movement and feints to prevent him from being able to start a combo. You initiate the attack when you are ready.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
My strategy would be to ensure he doesn't have the opportunity to throw his combos.

Counter his lead punch to prevent him getting his combo started.

When he steps in to start his combo with a jab, drop down low and throw a straight right into his solar-plexus and follow with a left hook upstairs.

Throw an over-hand right over the top of his jab.

Slip his jab (either way and start you counter with an uppercut with the appropriate hand).

Any of the above options should reduce the likelihood of getting a blistering combo started.

Another option is to "be first" - put him on the defensive. If you a are not ready to throw, use plenty of lateral movement and feints to prevent him from being able to start a combo. You initiate the attack when you are ready.
This is great advice thank you, I've had success with overhand rights over his jab, uppercuts backing up, coming up his hooks too thanks a lot well said
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
This is great advice thank you, I've had success with overhand rights over his jab, uppercuts backing up, coming up his hooks too thanks a lot well said
Also, another option that I find works well with taller opponents (due to distance) is to counter their right hand by pivoting right to avoid their punch and throwing your hook simultaneously.

You can make this easier by encouraging them throw the right hand by moving to your left and staying a little bit square (giving him a target) - You will be expecting his right so it just a case of being ready to time the pivot / hook.

It sounds much harder than it actually is - it just a case of getting the timing right, but if this lad is not a banger - it's not the end of the world if he catches you haha. If you pivot to early and he doesn't throw his right hand it's generally no big issue as long as you have your front foot in a good position as it will just bring you back into your stance (you are pivoting away from his left hand anyway).

Just something to have in the back of your mind when moving to your left if you do intend to use lateral movement to prevent him starting a combo.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 01-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Also, another option that I find works well with taller opponents (due to distance) is to counter their right hand by pivoting right to avoid their punch and throwing your hook simultaneously.

You can make this easier by encouraging them throw the right hand by moving to your left and staying a little bit square (giving him a target) - You will be expecting his right so it just a case of being ready to time the pivot / hook.

It sounds much harder than it actually is - it just a case of getting the timing right, but if this lad is not a banger - it's not the end of the world if he catches you haha. If you pivot to early and he doesn't throw his right hand it's generally no big issue as long as you have your front foot in a good position as it will just bring you back into your stance (you are pivoting away from his left hand anyway).

Just something to have in the back of your mind when moving to your left if you do intend to use lateral movement to prevent him starting a combo.
great stuff! I'll try it out and let you know how it works!

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing