Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

The strength and explosiveness gains are obvious, but is it worth the weight gain? Perhaps if strength was retained when you stopped taking it and after the weight gain from water retention was lost.

Your thoughts?
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Also, without sounding like a dick, I'd prefer if posters didn't make claims without substantiating them by linking to a scientific, peer-reviewed article. I would encourage posters to ignore any post that makes a claim without backing it up.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,679
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

I remember, reading The Biochemistry of Exercise 1999, it was the 1st study I believe, it wasnt good reading Im afraid. Like most things you lend, it never came back. But there are loads of information of it about, Im sure it will surface, great Thread
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Massive NO. The added water weight will make you feel sluggish, adding to the fact that you're going to need to drink more water than you already do when you box.

Just drink whey protein with low sugars, low carb and no creatine.
Jappa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappa View Post
Massive NO. The added water weight will make you feel sluggish, adding to the fact that you're going to need to drink more water than you already do when you box.

Just drink whey protein with low sugars, low carb and no creatine.
This is if you're on it when fighting. It's possible to take it, gain strength, then come off it and lose the water weight while maintaining the strength gains.

Not that I disagree with it while fighting. If you're light for your division and can't cut to the division below it's useful to get bigger.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by withoutwire View Post
This is if you're on it when fighting. It's possible to take it, gain strength, then come off it and lose the water weight while maintaining the strength gains.

Not that I disagree with it while fighting. If you're light for your division and can't cut to the division below it's useful to get bigger.
That's true, but when you're on it and hitting pads, sparring and doing a lot of boxing specific training and sweating crazy but with the creatine and the added water weight...? Nah, it's pure protein for me.

But you're right though, I reckon you could get away with that... but doesn't it take a couple of weeks to load up and stuff?
Jappa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,679
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Problem I have with it, Tests showed at the Time, it was Harmful to the reproduction organs, Liver and Kidneys because of overload. Its produced by the Body anyway naturally.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

But not in great amounts though...
Jappa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jappa View Post
That's true, but when you're on it and hitting pads, sparring and doing a lot of boxing specific training and sweating crazy but with the creatine and the added water weight...? Nah, it's pure protein for me.

But you're right though, I reckon you could get away with that... but doesn't it take a couple of weeks to load up and stuff?
Many people gain little to no water weight. Creatine increases endurance so many would argue its benefical for padwork sparring etc.

Loading is not necessary unless you are in a rush to make gains. Loading basically gets you up to maximal saturation straight away, which will happen quite soon anyway on a 5g a day dose. So loading is only desirable for those who want gains very fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Problem I have with it, Tests showed at the Time, it was Harmful to the reproduction organs, Liver and Kidneys because of overload. Its produced by the Body anyway naturally.

Scrap, no studies have shown creatine, when taken in adequate doses, to be damaging to the organs of healthy individuals. It is, however, contrainidicated in those with preexisting kidney disease. I'm sure however that creatine, just like anything else in excess, would be injurious to the body.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,679
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Well it was an independent study, and it Did. My thoughts at the time, there are better ways through Diet, to achieve what was required. If I remember correctly its hard to remove out of the system because of the reproduction organs wont accept it, Hence the Spots .
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Well it was an independent study, and it Did. My thoughts at the time, there are better ways through Diet, to achieve what was required. If I remember correctly its hard to remove out of the system because of the reproduction organs wont accept it, Hence the Spots .
Link to the study? No study that is unpublished has any merit as it can't be trusted as to accuracy, sample sizes, methods etc.

Creatine replenishes the body's ATP, providing energy for muscle contractions. It is very effective at doing this, food alone cannot emulate it's properties.

If by "spots" you mean acne, then these are associated with steroids. Creatine is not a steroid. Perhaps creatine has caused acne in isolated cases (nothing has zero side effects, anything could cause acne in a random individual), in which situation this side-effect could be avoided by switching to a different type of creatine.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 568
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
If I remember correctly its hard to remove out of the system because of the reproduction organs wont accept it, Hence the Spots .
The "reproduction" organs are the penis, scrotum, and vagina so I'm not sure what you mean here.

Creatine is not difficult to remove from the body. As it exists naturally in the body systems are in place already that are equipped to eliminate it. If the subject exercises it is used for ATP production. If the subject does not exercise, the body will convert the extra creatine into creatinine and excrete it through the urine in less than an hour.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
digit
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 79
vCash: 851
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

I remember reading a study on creatine and how it appeared to reduce concussions in football athletes (American football). So another consideration to throw into the mix.
digit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


The main thing is the water weight, if you have a couple of kgs to play with then I think it's a good idea, plus as the poster above me mentioned there is a little bit of research that indicates that it might help prevent concussion.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 AM   #15
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Creatine for boxers. Thoughts?

The last study I looked at showed acute water weight gains of 0.7kg or something, it's really not that much. People exaggerate it greatly. "Yo brah, don't take creatine, it made me hold like 10lbs of water and I lost my abs"
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013