Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Stevie Adams Jr

vCash: 500
Default Barker vs Murray in 2014?

With Eddie Hearn and Ricky Hatton working together again, and assuming that both men are successful in their fights with Felix Sturm and Garth Wood respectively, is it possible that Darren Barker could defend the IBF middleweight title against Martin Murray in the Spring of 2014?
Stevie Adams Jr is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Bungle85
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Barker vs Murray in 2014?

I think Murray has been earmarked as the man next up for Golovkin and I think that where his sights are set as well tbh.

Think Eddie is keeping Barker well clear of GGG, notice how he's always throwing Frochs name out as a potential opponent before Barker really so maybe he has an eye on how Murray does for a potential uni bout if he nicked it.

I also think Eddie may even see Lucas Browne down the line as the fight Joshua takes to really announce himself, definitely some vulnerabilites that AJ could exploit and Browne is creeping up the rankings.
Bungle85 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Stevie Adams Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle85 View Post
I think Murray has been earmarked as the man next up for Golovkin and I think that where his sights are set as well tbh.

Think Eddie is keeping Barker well clear of GGG, notice how he's always throwing Frochs name out as a potential opponent before Barker really so maybe he has an eye on how Murray does for a potential uni bout if he nicked it.

I also think Eddie may even see Lucas Browne down the line as the fight Joshua takes to really announce himself, definitely some vulnerabilites that AJ could exploit and Browne is creeping up the rankings.
I think you could well be right sir. I'm sure Murray would put up a valiant effort against GGG, but I'm not sure whether theirs anybody at 160lbs that could actually beat him. However, I'd very much like Murray to find a way to win, because he's been so unlucky in the past.

As for the Anthony Joshua - Lucas Browne thing, I actually had the same thought from ringside on Saturday night. Lucas is a monstrous puncher, but he is very limited in the skills department and he can be hurt. AJ could well take him on after 10 or 11 fights.

Thanks for the reply my friend.
Stevie Adams Jr is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
Solaris
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Seriously, what MW would step in the ring with GGG unless it was for ridiculous money?
Solaris is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Too true if you are well ranked with all bodies HBO are going to have to pay opponents top dollar to get competitive fights for GGG.

Would love to see Barker v Murray but Barker has already stated it's now all about money hence the fight with Sturm in Germany but with the buffer of a return clause.
Makingweight is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
lencoreastside
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Adams Jr View Post
I think you could well be right sir. I'm sure Murray would put up a valiant effort against GGG, but I'm not sure whether theirs anybody at 160lbs that could actually beat him. However, I'd very much like Murray to find a way to win, because he's been so unlucky in the past.

As for the Anthony Joshua - Lucas Browne thing, I actually had the same thought from ringside on Saturday night. Lucas is a monstrous puncher, but he is very limited in the skills department and he can be hurt. AJ could well take him on after 10 or 11 fights.

Thanks for the reply my friend.
Murray is as good a challenger as anyone for GGG right now. If he gets his shot he might as well take it. With his size, strength, very tight guard and sound fundamentals he would make GGG work for the win.

But GGG has the full range of shots down pat, and power to burn, so I would expect him to break Murray down at some point.

In fairness I can't agree that Murray has been unlucky at all.
he has stepped up precisely twice and did very well both times.
He got clearly out pointed by Sturm and got a gift draw in that fight. Against Sergio he fought a severely handicapped champion. Now he is back in line for another title shot...hardly unlucky...
lencoreastside is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
silly_illy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie Adams Jr View Post
With Eddie Hearn and Ricky Hatton working together again, and assuming that both men are successful in their fights with Felix Sturm and Garth Wood respectively, is it possible that Darren Barker could defend the IBF middleweight title against Martin Murray in the Spring of 2014?
No, because he has to fight Geal again.
Also Sturm fight has rematch clause...So Barker is pretty much occupied.
silly_illy is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Big Bang
Contender
ESB Senior Member

GGG Isn't unbeatable. In fact, Murray has the perfect style to make it very difficult for him. Tall solid build with great reach matched with a solid tight defence and granite chin gives Martin a serious chance. GGG has power, but that power landed flush many many times on both Curtis Stevens body and head and yet he only hit the canvas once in 8 rounds to which he regained composure pretty darn quick. In fact I was surprised it took GGG so long to get the stoppage.......
Big Bang is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bang View Post
GGG Isn't unbeatable. In fact, Murray has the perfect style to make it very difficult for him. Tall solid build with great reach matched with a solid tight defence and granite chin gives Martin a serious chance. GGG has power, but that power landed flush many many times on both Curtis Stevens body and head and yet he only hit the canvas once in 8 rounds to which he regained composure pretty darn quick. In fact I was surprised it took GGG so long to get the stoppage.......
True-but with the punishment Stevens took,who knows what it took out of him.Perhaps it would have been better if Stevens took a knee in an earlier round to save himself for the future.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
WhamBam
Keeping Cool
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

martin murray has to be the most overrated fighter on this forum, he gives martinez a tougher fight then people expected, a martinez who broke his hand in the fight and had to have knee surgery and who is 38 years old!!!! felix sturm clearly beat murray in germany. i think martin murray would struggle with fighters like rosado and curtis stevens nevermind Golovkin.
WhamBam is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

Murray would be wise to aim for a big domestic fight with Barker than GGG. It's a great fight.
jc is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
lencoreastside
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBam View Post
martin murray has to be the most overrated fighter on this forum, he gives martinez a tougher fight then people expected, a martinez who broke his hand in the fight and had to have knee surgery and who is 38 years old!!!! felix sturm clearly beat murray in germany. i think martin murray would struggle with fighters like rosado and curtis stevens nevermind Golovkin.

lencoreastside is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
paddymickey
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 933

Murray Barker Lee and Macklin are all on "The Golves are off" on sky sports next week. I
think it will happen next year between them all.
Looks like 1st up is Lee V Macklin in March.
paddymickey is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

I want as much as anyone to see Barker, Murray, Macklin & Lee to get it on but I think we'll be looking at the back end of next year for one of them to come off if we're lucky.

Barker has to honour certain contracts in order to keep hold of his title.

Murray won't get the Barker fight right now, has a fight lined up and is gunning for a world title. He's not going to entertain Macklin or Lee when they have nothing to offer in terms of a title.

The one fight I can see happening first & foremost out of the two, would be Macklin v Lee. I'd be backing Macklin by mid to late stoppage in that also.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2013, 02:33 AM   #15
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Murray will probably get a fight with Golovkin. Murray will get knocked out.........
Farmboxer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum