Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #16
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Post Johnson Fight Interview Proves Burns Did Not Have Jaundice

It's a good find of an article.

McVey, many thanks again for turning me on to that Aussie news search. Good stuff on there.
Seamus is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
McVey,

I quoted the Burns book which mentions it that people at Ringside said Burns looked yellow and sick. You ignore that!!!

In addition the foremost historian on early black fighters, Mr. Kevin Smith says there is evidence that Burns was suffering from a jaundice. You will not find a better source.

Johnson beat a very short man who was at a low weight. At at times he fought dirty by hitting on the break.

You quoted the piece of rubbish that has more inaccuracies in it than a dartboard has pin holes.A tome in which I highlighted 12 mistakes in two paragraphs . You've been in trouble before for putting words in others mouths and they have come on this forum expressly to reprimand you for it. I wouldn't go there again if I were you. You wish to quote K Smith ,what comments have you to make on his evaluation of Johnson's abilities?
"Johnson is rated as possibly the best heavyweight who ever fought; He was a master on defense and almost flawless in all other aspects of pugilism; He was fast, possessed an outstanding jab and uppercut, and was practically impossible to hit cleanly
Johnson is rated as possibly the best heavyweight who ever fought; He was a master on defense and almost flawless in all other aspects of pugilism; He was fast, possessed an outstanding jab and uppercut, and was practically impossible to hit cleanly" K SMITH

Burns scaled 174lbs for his defence against Lang, 3 months earlier. He scaled 168.5lbs for the Johnson fight.

Naturally Johnson was a much more serious threat to his title ,and he trained accordingly,shedding 5.5lbs of flab, he looks in excellent condition and the papers commented on it after his sparring sessions.

Burns was 168.5 lbs Johnson 192lbs= 24lbs difference
Contrast with
Jeffries 215 Sharkey 183=32lbs
Jeffries 206 Fitz 167 =39lbs
Jeffries 219 Fitz172=47lbs
Jeffries210 Corbett183=27lbs
Jeffries 218 Corbett 188=30lbs
Are you familiar with the term double standards?

I wonder if you can comprehend just how ridiculous you make yourself look with your stupid crusade against Johnson?

I feel embarrassed for you

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EVIDENCE THAT BURNS WAS SUFFERING FROM JAUNDICE. THERE IS A POST FIGHT INTERVIEW WITH THE FIGHTER HIMSELF, DURING WHICH HE NEVER ONCE MENTIONS THE WORD. ALL YOU HAVE DONE IS POST COMMENTS FROM POSTERS ON CBZ , WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU THINK THIS PROVES, YOU MORONIC IMBECILE?

Last edited by mcvey; 01-11-2013 at 04:01 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

The best one was... yeah looking at the film (and such a high quality masterpiece it is).. he looks grey.... LMAO!!
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
The best one was... yeah looking at the film (and such a high quality masterpiece it is).. he looks grey.... LMAO!!
Exactly ,and the fact he is an ordinary poster on CBZ.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Tommy Burns: Canada's unknown world heavyweight champion

By Dan McCaffery

Check page 204, which says Burns looked unnaturally yellow, and those in the front row thought he looked sick, which might explain his 168 pound weight.

In addition, check page 211 where it mentions Johnson's ribs were broken, and he later told Joe Louis that he was urinating blood.

And page 213 where Jack London admitted he greatly exaggerated the what happened in the ring.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #21
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Tommy Burns: Canada's unknown world heavyweight champion

By Dan McCaffery

Check page 204, which says Burns looked unnaturally yellow, and those in the front row thought he looked sick, which might explain his 168 pound weight.

In addition, check page 211 where it mentions Johnson's ribs were broken, and he later told Joe Louis that he was urinating blood.

And page 213 where Jack London admitted he greatly exaggerated the what happened in the ring.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Dan McCaffrey is almost as stupid as you. Five years prior to writing this trash by his own admission , he did not even know who Burns was, despite being a Canadian himself!

Johnson went for a swim after the fight, then attended a victory party it is well documented.

McCaffrey asserts that Johnson spent aweek in the hospital after their fight ,absolute BOLLOCKS. His book is a piece of poorly researched trash ,with such howlers in it as asserting that Burns defended his title against a Jewish South African boxer,Jewey Smith. Smith was born in Spitalfields London and was C of E. It is a preposterous mix of fairy tales, and hero worship, and as such must suit you down to the ground.
The Burns? Johnson fight was a systematic chastisement of a champion who had called his challenger a n****r. yellow ,and a damned hyena.
Johnson laughed at Burns body shots, and invited him to "hit here Tommy, now here".

FIRST ROUND

After a few moments of preliminary sparring Johnson reached Burns with a sharp uppercut, and the Canadian went to the floor, remaining there for the count or eight. He signaled to his seconds that he was all right, however, and when he arose sailed In for Johnson's body. Johnson swung a hard right to the head, and Burns staggered backward nearly across the ring from the Impact of the blow. Then Burns, rushing in, planted a right of great force on Johnson s chin, and by an excellent display of boxing warded off a return. Johnson, nevertheless, managed to put through a stinging left to the head at the sound of the gong.

SECOND ROUND

When the gone clanged Johnson yelled across to the approaching Burns, " Come right on," and he swung his right and landed hard on Burns chin. The champions ankle gave way under him and he went down. He was up immediately, however, and Johnson got to close quarters with him and placed right and left to face and body. Burns's left eye here commenced to swell. Johnson thus far had the better oŁ the battle. The big black man was coming all the time, and he swung a terrific left Into Burns's stomach. Burns was doing but little. He. was bleeding from the mouth, and apparently was tired. The men were clinched as the bell rang.

THIRD ROUND

Burns swung his right to Johnson's head and then did some wonderful execution at in-fighting, chopping his right to the ribs frequently. Johnson during the round landed some terrific blows to the kidneys.

FOURTH ROUND

the men met In the centre of the ring Johnson shot a heavy right into Burns ribs. The men talked wildly to one another, each seemingly intent upon getting the other excited and landing the money winning punch. During the jeering they sparred fiercely, but few blows being struck. Then Johnson swung left, to the body, and Burns brought right to head. Johnson, closing in, threw a terrific right and left to the head of the , Canadian. The bell found the men In a hard clinch.

FIFTH ROUND

Apparently refreshed from his minute's rest, Burns started the round briskly, landing his right on Johnson's head and punching the body with both hands. Johnson managed to slip over a few rights to the head during the round.

SIXTH ROUND

Johnson rushed, .and Burns clinched. Breaking loose, however, with one hand -Johnson swung his right a dozen times into the white man's ribs. Burns jolted Johnson's body frequently, and swung his right hard over the ribs and put a stiff left to the stomach several, times. Johnson, however, treated these blows as a joke, laughing at the crowd and making sarcastic remarks to his opponent as he bustled Burns Into a corner and scored a couple of rights to the body.

SEVENTH ROUND

Johnson rushed Burns across the ring, dealing out rights in which there was no mercy. Burns got a left to Johnson's jaw, and Johnson raised a lump under Burns's right eye in return. Burns here seemed to be losing strength. Johnson was landing repeatedly on Burns eye, meanwhile addressing the people about the ringside, end though Tommy was working dexterously at infighting, he placed several terrific blows on Burns's ribs, dropping him to the floor for a few seconds.

EIGHTH ROUND

Burns's eyes were puffed up and he was bleeding from the mouth when he emerged from his corner. The white man's blows apparently had little effect on the Texan, who went severely about belaboring the head of the champion.

NINTH ROUND

" Come on, Tommy; swing your right! " yelled Johnson as the gong rang. Burns responded by calling the negro a " yellow dog." There was not very much fighting — probably more talking — during this round.

TENTH ROUND

Both men seemed tiring. Johnson still used his fists effectively on Burns's head and stomach and Burns was doing all he could ill reply. His blows, however, lacked steam.

ELEVENTH ROUND

The perspiration pouring off the body of Johnson made it look not unlike highly polished walnut. Burns tried to cross his right over, but .Johnson cleverly avoided him, meantime laughing at the champion Burns was outclassed, and Johnson apparently was invulnerable. When the bell rang Burns limped to his corner,

TWELFTH ROUND

Again Johnson sailed In, and Burns took a tremendous lot of punishment gamely. His Jaw was greatly swollen,

'THIRTEENTH ROUND

Johnson continued to play for the injured eye and the bleeding mouth of Burns, which was swollen twice its normal size. Blow after blow the colored man rained upon him. and the gong alone saved the white man from defeat, for he was reeling and groggy as it rang.

During the Intermission between the thirteenth and fourteenth rounds the police officials consulted together, and the probability is that they will stop the fight in the next round. Referee Mclntosh went to Burns's corner and had a talk with the champion, who declared that he was strong. Mclntosh then asked the police not to interfere.

FOURTEENTH ROUND

Johnson went right after Burns when time was called. The white man warily backed away, but Johnson, following him up, dropped Burns with a heavy right to the head. "One, two, three," slowly counted the referee, and Burns remained down until eight seconds had been tolled off. When he arose Johnson flew at him like a tiger, and, using both hands unmercifully, he soon had the champion tottering. The police then Jumped into the ring and stopped the fight.

The referee immediately declared Johnson the winner. He added that he considered it the best fight he ever had witnessed In Australia, and that both men had fought fairly.

The referee Hugh McIntosh. Burns closest friend, states both men fought fairly. Mendoza, you inhabit a different universe one which is devoid of reality.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

How do you exaggerate a beating like the ones burns took if you type it as a beating. That is EXACTLY what it was a beating. I see no exaggeration there at all. Shit I even saw Johnson carrying Burns to punish him some more. It was a one sided beatdown and nothing more. Trying to draw conclusions from primative film and photography, is well, kinda silly
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Though I admit Burns was a bit light, one would think he would have used any sickness as basis for the return match he claims to have desired.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
That was quite stunning, yeah. I have a hard time distinguishing between a straight punch and a hook on these films, but to actually diagnose people...
Shake is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #25
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Burns trained like a fiend for this fight. The 168 pound weight is easily explained because of that. There is no doubt in my mind that Johnson, if he really wanted, could have koed Burns very quickly. One of boxings all time greats vs...well.....a not so great.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #26
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Yes, I am well aware of how the fight went down.

I was just commenting on what a prick Burns was when it came to giving Johnson credit.
Johnson never gave anyone credit he always said he took dive when he lost.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #27
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
Immediately after the Willard fight Johnson stated publicly.

"I take my hat off to Willard,I was beaten fairly by youth and condition."

" I have no complaint to make excepting this.
While I was champion ,I made a great many enemies most of whom hated me for no other reason than that I am a negro. These persons have gotten vindication in my defeat,and I hope they obtain full enjoyment from it."

Its a shame Johnson signed a"confession " later that he had thrown the fight. A shame but not unique ,Champions find it hard to accept defeat even to themselves. Jeffries stated in a book that he was given drugged tea before the Johnson defeat. As recently as Ali/ Foreman Foreman said he was drugged . Burns said he was coming on when his fight with Johnson was stopped " prematurely", total shit.
Champions have to believe in themselves completely ,thats what makes them champions. But you appear to think Johnson is the only one who found it difficult to reconcile himself to defeat.
YOU MADE THE SAME UNSUBSTANTIATED CLAIM ON THE JOHNSON/KETCHEL THREAD ON WHICH SUBJECT, 12 POSTS THOUGHT THE KD WAS GENUINE ,AND 48 THOUGHT IT WAS NOT

NOW . NAME ONE OTHER FIGHT IN WHICH JOHNSON CLAIMED HE TOOK A DIVE?

BECAUSE YOU ARE BECOMING VERY PREDICTABLE
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #28
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
Correct. Johnson said he took a dive vs. Willard. Its BS, as he was hurt bad on film the round before he was counted out on his back.

Johnson also said he held back in some of his draws? Did he? Hard to say. One thing is clear, Johnson has many excuses and at times lied about his career.

On the topic of Burns, Johnson said he was the easiest man he ever fought. Likely BS too, but Johnson said it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #29
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
The referee Hugh McIntosh. Burns closest friend, states both men fought fairly. Mendoza, you inhabit a different universe one which is devoid of reality.

If hitting Burns and flooring him on the break is "fighting fairly ", Mcvey, you are more delusional than I thought. Once again, watch the films. McIntosh did Burns no favors on film in this fight. Quite the opposite.

Besides McIntosh had limited experience as a ref prior to this fight.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #30
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Correct. Johnson said he took a dive vs. Willard. Its BS, as he was hurt bad on film the round before he was counted out on his back.

Johnson also said he held back in some of his draws? Did he? Hard to say. One thing is clear, Johnson has many excuses and at times lied about his career.

On the topic of Burns, Johnson said he was the easiest man he ever fought. Likely BS too, but Johnson said it.
After the Jeffries fight, Johnson said Burns gave him a harder fight than Jeffries.
As I pointed out Johnson initially admitted he was beaten by the better man and praised Willard.

Which draws did Johnson say he held back in?

Johnson was complimentary towards Burns praising his courage.

He was complimentary towards Jeffries for the same reason. Both made excuses as to why they were beaten , Burns initially said Johnson was too strong ,and to clever,"how badly I had underestimated him" , then he reflected and said he overtrained for Johnson,[no mention of "a jaundice"].

Jeffries at first accepted he was beaten fair and squarely, but later put his name to a" poisoned tea "story. Its nothing new it only becomes an issue to you because it concerns Johnson.

I can imagine you calling for him to be lynched after he beat Jeffries. What a queer fellow you are to be sure.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum