Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 01-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847
Default Eddie Alvarez: UFC vs. Bellator

Quote:
If Eddie Alvarez frees himself from Bellator, he could not only become an immediate UFC lightweight title challenger but also profit handsomely from pay-per-view sales.

But if he stays with Bellator, the 28-year-old fighter won't be in the poorhouse, either.

A UFC contract outlines the company's intent to book Alvarez for an immediate title shot in March and offer a cut of the promotion's pay-per-view profits, according to an exhibit in a lawsuit Bellator MMA filed against the fighter, a copy of which MMAjunkie.com ([Only registered and activated users can see links. ]) today obtained.

An eight-fight deal would start Alvarez at $70,000 to show and $70,000 to win and raises in $5,000 increments with each win until it tops out at a guaranteed $210,000 for a win, the exhibit states. Alvarez would also be guaranteed a $250,000 signing bonus, payable in two installments of $85,000 and one of $80,000.

When Alvarez fights on a UFC PPV broadcast, the offer states it entitles him to $1 for each "buy" between 200,000 and 400,000 buys, $2 per buy between 400,000 and 600,000 buys, and $2.50 per buy over 600,000 buys.

Additionally, Alvarez is guaranteed a fight on a UFC on FOX card and three appearances as a commentator at UFC-branded events.

The exhibit confirms a previous claim from Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney that his promotion merely changed window dressings on the UFC's offer. Mentions of UFC parent company Zuffa are simply crossed out and replaced with Bellator.

It also shows Bellator offered three additional bonuses to Alvarez when Bellator decided to match the UFC's offer. Included was a $25,000 payout for participating in a behind-the-scenes show filmed by Bellator broadcast partner Spike TV, a $100,000 payout for a head coach position on the second season of Bellator's reality show, and a guest host spot on Spike TV's "Road to the Championship" program.

And Alvarez stood to receive a $250,000 signing bonus upon re-upping with Bellator.

The deals are the same on paper. But Bellator and Alvarez disagree on their value, and they've taken their cases to the court of public opinion.

Before they did that, though, they sued each other.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Quote:
After UFC 155, UFC president Dana White hinted that Eddie Alvarez's contractual situation was going to get ugly.

Just over a week later, we have a better idea what White meant. On Monday's edition of The MMA Hour, the sport's hottest free agent revealed that he and the company for which he's fought for the past four years, Bellator, have entered litigation which could keep the lightweight contender out of action longer than he had planned.

"We went to settlement maybe a couple days ago," Alvarez said. "We had a settlement meeting to where we were supposed to settle our differences and everything was supposed to get worked out. Long story short, I was sued 30 minutes after our settlement agreement was over."

At the heart of the dispute is Bellator's matching clause in Alvarez's contract. After the final fight of Alvarez's contract, Bellator first had a window of exclusivity in contract negotiation, then another period of time in which it could match any contract offers Alvarez received.

Here's where Alvarez and Bellator's opinions differ: Bellator believes they've matched the deal Alvarez received from the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Alvarez and his team disagree.

"We don't believe it was matched at all," Alvarez said. "I want to be able to give the details to you guys, but I'm not allowed because we're in the middle of a pending lawsuit. What I can say is what I said on Twitter the other day. If I wanted to go to dinner with one guy who asked me to dinner, and another guy asks me to do dinner, and the intentions of guy number one is to take me into a fine dining restaurant and to eat lobster, and the intention of the second guy is to maybe take me to McDonald's, guy number two just believes that dinner is dinner. Dinner isn't dinner, there's a huge difference when you're talking McDonald's or some fine dining, the two we don't believe are comparable."

While being vague on the details due to the nature of the pending litigation, the Philadelphia native has made it clear the contractual process has left him frustrated.

"There's two completely different sides to this," the former Bellator champion said. "Over the past year, there's two different sides. I thought, where I grew up and where I'm from, when someone smiles at you and tells you something, you believe it. If someone lies to you, if someone's a man of their word, that's that. It's very simple. That's the reality of where I've been and where I'm from. But this is a different ballgame, man. I'd get eaten alive in this world, because what people say means nothing. It means nothing. Being loyal and them sort of things, that kind of goes out the window."

That said, in spite of what's gone down, Alvarez said he'd have no problem returning to Bellator, so long as he and the company comes to what he considers a fair settlement.

"If it was a match, I would be more than happy to honor the contract," Alvarez said. "I signed that contract, I have to fulfill my obligations, it's what I signed, I'm a man. I have no problems. If it was a match, if this was a hundred percent match, I'd have no problem going and fighting for Bellator. That is not my issue. Do I want to fight the best in the world? Yeah. Would I love to fight the Ben Hendersons? Yeah. The Gilbert Melendezes? Yeah. I'll fight them tomorrow.

"I've always wanted to fight the best guys. That's not the issue. The issue has to do with being fair. If the contract said at the end we have a chance to match this contract, I said OK to that four years ago and I'm accountable for that. In our eyes, this is not a match. This a difference is a lot of money, a lot of money, and its hard to sign on the dotted line. It's a lot of money."

Until then, Alvarez realizes there are bigger forces at play and the situation is out of his control. So he has no choice but to let events play out.

"It's up to the courts now, man," he said. "I'm being sued, it's going to go before a judge. I think it's going to be very clear what's going on. UFC has nothing to say, you know? They're a business, they offered me what they offered me. We feel the UFC's deal is much greater. I like that deal. It wasn't a Hector Lombard deal, but it was a good deal. And given the opportunity that you have, I consider it a good deal, and I consider it a much better deal than the one that Bellator's offering."
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

An interesting and frustrating battle going on over Alvarez at the moment. That UFC deal looks pretty ****ing nice, though, immediate title shot and all. Looks like Eddie may have ****ed himself by signing that matching clause. Bellator doesn't want to just let go of their biggest star.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Eddie Alvarez: UFC vs. Bellator

I'm not happy with Gil getting an instant shot. Alvarez less so. He's a very good fighter don't get me wrong but it looks like the UFC are throwing everything at him just to spite Bellator.

Alvarez is a good addition to a stacked 155lb division, nothing more.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I'm not happy with Gil getting an instant shot. Alvarez less so. He's a very good fighter don't get me wrong but it looks like the UFC are throwing everything at him just to spite Bellator.

Alvarez is a good addition to a stacked 155lb division, nothing more.
I'm a huge Alvarez fan, but I agree that he doesn't really deserve an immediate title shot. Patricky and Aoki are very good wins, but it was only three fights ago that he was tapped by Chandler. I'm a firm believer that you should have to string together at least three high quality wins in a row before getting a shot.

If they could make it happen, I don't think too many people would be upset with a number one contender match between Gil and Eddie, even though I personally don't have any issue with Gil getting an immediate shot.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

They want to get some new blood in the 155 mix.
Most people wouldnt disagree with Melendez getting a title shot. He is ranked #2 after the UFC champ by most people.
With Alvarez i could see more of a problem imo he needs at least one more quality win to earn that shot at the gold
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
I'm a huge Alvarez fan, but I agree that he doesn't really deserve an immediate title shot. Patricky and Aoki are very good wins, but it was only three fights ago that he was tapped by Chandler. I'm a firm believer that you should have to string together at least three high quality wins in a row before getting a shot.

If they could make it happen, I don't think too many people would be upset with a number one contender match between Gil and Eddie, even though I personally don't have any issue with Gil getting an immediate shot.
Gil Vs Eddie; perfect. Winner of Cerrone-Pettis gets a shot. Alvarez-Melendez on the undercard. Easy. Love it.

Chandler Vs Hawn is a brilliant fight. Now I'd love to see the winner of that in the UFC. That'll be the next painful struggle.

I'd gladly give up Alvarez and Hawn to see Pat Curran Vs Jose Aldo though
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greathamza View Post
They want to get some new blood in the 155 mix.
Most people wouldnt disagree with Melendez getting a title shot. He is ranked #2 after the UFC champ by most people.
With Alvarez i could see more of a problem imo he needs at least one more quality win to earn that shot at the gold
There are still a good few challengers coming through for Bendo. If Pettis beats Cerrone the rematch is an absolute priority IMO.

Let's see Eddie or Gil' in with Jim Miller. The best gauge to see whether you're going onto the next level IMO. And the other against Gray Maynard.

These guys should have to fight at least one other contender IMO. Maybe not Gil' because everyone's been going on about him and UFC for a while and it looks as though the actual SF champs will get treated well again (although Gil' and Nage Marquadt seem much more-equipped for a shot than Luke Rockhold is, and Hendo was lined up to get a shot too, as was Nick when he came in)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

big fan of Eddie i hope he comes to UFC. he always puts on a show but, i dont think he will make champ anymore.
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
RJJ's Jab
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1185

I like Eddie but I have no sympathy for him he knew Bellator had the right to match the offer and surely he knew the PPV issue would be null & void due to the fact Bellator don't do PPV. TBH I feel Eddie is getting an incredibly generous deal from the UFC I'm really surprised they have offered what they have offered.
RJJ's Jab is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum