Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
janwalshs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Pipino Cuevas Vs. Maurice Hope or Ayub Kalule

I'm talking the pre-Hearns Cuevas for this fight and both Jr. middle champs would be at their primes. I always link Hope and Kalule together as jr. middleweights due to some similarities. Both are European based southpaws. Both solid boxers. Both fair to decent punchers although not really KO artists.

Could Cuevas overcome a slight weight disadvantage to hurt or stop either of these fighters? Could he hold up against their punches? Were both too stylish for Cuevas?

This is a tough call for me. As champ, Cuevas did KO 2 southpaws, Backus and Volbrecht, although Backus was past prime and Volbrecht gave the champion some trouble before 1 big left hook KO'd him.

I would guess both Hope and Kalule may be a little too slick and would box safely to decision wins. Anybody else have an opinion?
janwalshs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pipino Cuevas Vs. Maurice Hope or Ayub Kalule

Quote:
Originally Posted by janwalshs View Post
I'm talking the pre-Hearns Cuevas for this fight and both Jr. middle champs would be at their primes. I always link Hope and Kalule together as jr. middleweights due to some similarities. Both are European based southpaws. Both solid boxers. Both fair to decent punchers although not really KO artists.

Could Cuevas overcome a slight weight disadvantage to hurt or stop either of these fighters? Could he hold up against their punches? Were both too stylish for Cuevas?

This is a tough call for me. As champ, Cuevas did KO 2 southpaws, Backus and Volbrecht, although Backus was past prime and Volbrecht gave the champion some trouble before 1 big left hook KO'd him.

I would guess both Hope and Kalule may be a little too slick and would box safely to decision wins. Anybody else have an opinion?
I second your opinion.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

For a Welter, with a very upright methodical straight-line approach, two versatile Mobile Lt -Middles like Hope and Kalule would be favoured to be a step or two, too far...their Size and indeed Style is all wrong for Pipino, he will be vunerable to Ayub's combinations....and Hope when he had established his rhythmic approach was hard to knock out of his groove, and having gained possession of long range and the middle No mans Land, Hope would plant himself for the heavier shots, aggressive tough guys Mattioli and Antefermo failed to hear the final bell against Hope, Hope like Ayub was not a "walk Through" opponent, At Welter Pipino has chances with most through his punching power, with the Lt Middles too many other factors combine to derail him..
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #4
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

True, hope was very good vs the less technical come forward sluggers and swarmers.He'd probably end up giving Cuevas a beating\stoppage while on the slow backfoot retreat.Kalule similar, only he'd not stop Cuevas, but just tuck up against the wild hooks with his high guard and angles and counter him to bits.
lora is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Kalule too big and strong for a true welter Pipino, but I think Hope was more vulnerable. He's ahead at the time Cuevas lands the left hook and swarms him for a stoppage somewhere around the 10th to 12th.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pipino murders them both. Just far too much firepower.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

these are hard fights to figure just because Cuevas did not fight great at 154. I think he would beat Hope easily and edge Kalule.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #8
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
Pipino murders them both. Just far too much firepower.
Don't know if he has the skill to beat those two or not.
The point I'd like to make though is I don't think Cuevas gets anywhere near the press he deserves for his god-like punching power. That little bastard broke opponents bones when he landed. He should be in everyones top 10 hardest punchers of all time.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
Don't know if he has the skill to beat those two or not.
The point I'd like to make though is I don't think Cuevas gets anywhere near the press he deserves for his god-like punching power. That little bastard broke opponents bones when he landed. He should be in everyones top 10 hardest punchers of all time.
losing to Hearns in 2 rounds really hurt the Cuevas legacy, and he never recovered.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
losing to Hearns in 2 rounds really hurt the Cuevas legacy, and he never recovered.
Cuevas was amazing and strange at the same time. Before the championship he a journeyman type of record(15-6, yuck!). After the championship a .500 fighter.
Then those 12 fights as champion as he left broken bodies and broken dreams he was unstoppable. Then he fought Hearns and well, unconciousness and .500 record afterwards on the road to palookaville.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
Cuevas was amazing and strange at the same time. Before the championship he a journeyman type of record(15-6, yuck!). After the championship a .500 fighter.
Then those 12 fights as champion as he left broken bodies and broken dreams he was unstoppable. Then he fought Hearns and well, unconciousness and .500 record afterwards on the road to palookaville.
He obviously fought well when he had momentum on his side. Had he been able to beat Duran in 1983 I think he might have kept on going, but he really was not built for 154 pounds. I still think he was great regardless of Hearns. Tommy Hearns knocked out many guys. I would have loved to see Leonard vs. Cuevas. I still think it would have been tough for Ray, but Ray would have won had he fought the right fight.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
Woller
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Kalule was way too strong for Cuevas and would force him back snapping that right hand jab into his face again and again.
No sure about Hope, he could run into a wild left hook.

Woller
Woller is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #13
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
True, hope was very good vs the less technical come forward sluggers and swarmers.He'd probably end up giving Cuevas a beating\stoppage while on the slow backfoot retreat.Kalule similar, only he'd not stop Cuevas, but just tuck up against the wild hooks with his high guard and angles and counter him to bits.
This is a def

Maurice was a solid operator, was giving Benitez a horrible night until that cut woke him up.
duranimal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum