Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker 73 72.28%
Floyd "Money" Mayweather 28 27.72%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #16
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Whitaker or Mayweather - Most skilled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Floyd definitely knows how to win and is a better fighter than Whitaker. Whitaker has a better resume though.

Whitaker with better pure skills. Floyd better balance/right hand/IQ/Adaptability. Whitaker better jab/left cross/left hand/Fighting on the back foot
Floyd wouldn't take the biggest fight of his career. Floyd is NOT a fighter.
Nipple is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Floyd with the more sound guard and has better balance. A better straight/cross too, but that's all I'd give him.

Whitaker as the better general, better jabber, better off the backfoot, better head & upperbody movement, better on the inside, probably better punch placement (mostly to the body - he was superb at that), and better with feints (particularly at not falling for them). I'd also give him the edge as a combination puncher and would say that he was clearly just flat out better at integrating his offense with his defense.

So yeah, Pea.
Straight-forward and to the point. Floyd definitely takes it where defensive fundamentals and technique are concerned, though Whitaker had a better radar, was more fluid and better able to improvise. One of the all-time ring innovators.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #18
NOTINDAFACE
No Me Se Rajar
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Floyd definitely knows how to win and is a better fighter than Whitaker. Whitaker has a better resume though.

Whitaker with better pure skills. Floyd better balance/right hand/IQ/Adaptability. Whitaker better jab/left cross/left hand/Fighting on the back foot
NOTINDAFACE is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #19
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Straight-forward and to the point. Floyd definitely takes it where defensive fundamentals and technique are concerned, though Whitaker had a better radar, was more fluid and better able to improvise. One of the all-time ring innovators.
I think Floyd was maybe just a bit (a lot) more focused on the fundamentals than Whitaker. Pea covered up very well when he had to or at least chose to and probably defended bodyshots better than Mayweather.

The last bit of your post is the main difference between the two as I see it: Whitaker was just far more imaginative and creative in the ring. Well, I guess there are two main differences: that, and the fact that he was genuinely interested in challenging himself...

...and cocaine. He was really interested in cocaine.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think Floyd was maybe just a bit (a lot) more focused on the fundamentals than Whitaker. Pea covered up very well when he had to or at least chose to and probably defended bodyshots better than Mayweather.
Just trying to bring a little balance to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecobra
The last bit of your post is the main difference between the two as I see it: Whitaker was just far more imaginative and creative in the ring. Well, I guess there are two main differences: that, and the fact that he was genuinely interested in challenging himself...

...and cocaine. He was really interested in cocaine.

As for unbalanced, how about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal

Shut it you pathetic nit picking selective hair-splitting squealing flomo***ual bitch, this is a thread for people who now what true boxing ability's all about in it's true difinitive sense & it's not for the likes of shitbags flomo***uals like you who dribble & drool over a real & true fraudster of the modern day ring.

Mayweather is PURE SHIT compared to the all time defensive mastercraftsman in Sweetpea & you never saw sweetpea duck any challenge in his life either, unlike that cherry picking bag of shit mayweather.... Whitaker would dismantle mayweather & pick him apart, he'd humiliate him, floyd would think he's being raped by a boxing octopus It's a Pernell shutout or TKO or disqualification when Floyd jumps out of the ring such would the gulf in class expose mayweather Now **** off
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Boxing octopus
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
Just trying to bring a little balance to the discussion.
He's not on the same level.

He did do a few things a bit better though, so fair enough.

Quote:

As for unbalanced, how about this?

Tired of everyone you talk boxing with judging you and mocking your views? Fed up with always being called names like, "squealing flomo***ual bitch," or, "bitchface?" Looking for a sensible, objective, totally unbiased poster to discuss boxing matters with?

Well, look no further! Purchase the all new duranimal! He's yours for 7 easy payments of
...ah **** it, just take him!
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #23
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Boxing octopus
Sports Illustrated, October 1994:

Whitaker, it turned out, had been burning ever since he beat McGirt in March 1993 at Madison Square Garden. McGirt had made it through that fight with a bad left shoulder, had fought with one arm actually and afterward had had the bad sense to make his medical excuse public. Indeed, he had undergone surgery for a torn rotator cuff nine days after that bout, which had ended in a close decision that gave McGirt's welterweight title to Whitaker, and it was natural for McGirt to wonder how he might have done with a proper left arm to complement the right.

Whitaker, who operates out of Norfolk, a seaport that happens not to be a media center as well, has always been suspicious of the good press McGirt enjoys in New York. He was contemptuous of the speculation that was being published there, that McGirt, dually armed, might beat him. Of his own hometown folk, Whitaker said, "We don't like whiners."

Whitaker didn't even believe that McGirt had an excuse. "If you watch the fight on tape," he said, "you'll see he used his left as much as his right. That injury, just something to fall back on. Operation? That's what they say. He's a big phony. If he had an operation. Actually, I don't believe he had surgery."

Once the deal had been signed—McGirt got $600,000 to Whitaker's $2 million plus—the challenger had to reach under his homburg and scratch his shaved head and wonder what the fuss had been all about. "Everybody's making him out to be King Kong," he said of Whitaker. "And I just don't see it."

Certo seized on the idea, saying, "I mean, who is this guy? All he does, he ducks and bobs, and then he jumps on the ropes." With one arm, McGirt had kept the first fight close (Whitaker ducking and bobbing and then jumping up on the ropes in celebration). So what might happen if McGirt were to have two arms?

Warned Whitaker, "He better have three arms this time."

An octopus couldn't have beaten Whitaker last Saturday.

NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #24
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTINDAFACE View Post
Yup as a pugilist, he's definitely MORE successful as he became the best in boxing, the most known.

Whitaker lost multiple times and don't get me wrong, his resume TRUMPS Floyd's

But Floyd... He just doesn't lose, that's the difference

His adaptability, ring iq, ring generalship is the best Ive seen. Look at his punch stats.

46% landed on opponents, 13% landed on him. He's a beast

He is definitley one of the best in boxing history
MVC is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He's not on the same level.

He did do a few things a bit better though, so fair enough.
Yes, he does.

Quote:

Tired of everyone you talk boxing with judging you and mocking your views? Fed up with always being called names like, "squealing flomo***ual bitch," or, "bitchface?" Looking for a sensible, objective, totally unbiased poster to discuss boxing matters with?

Well, look no further! Purchase the all new duranimal! He's yours for 7 easy payments of
...ah **** it, just take him!

He'll be here soon enough. The one in the Duran/Floyd thread was pretty memorable.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #26
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Oh yeah forgot about the punch stats.

I wish I could change my vote now.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #27
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Pea.

And he proved it against superior opposition too.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrus View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Or

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I didn't see your name in the poll. Looking at the photos you uploaded, you'd chose Whitaker? You wouldn't be wrong, but the gap is not as far as I supect (based on the photos) you think.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #29
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 937

In terms of classic boxing skills? I'd go with Whitaker. Mayweather is more of the tactition though.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
I didn't see your name in the poll. Looking at the photos you uploaded, you'd chose Whitaker? You wouldn't be wrong, but the gap is not as far as I supect (based on the photos) you think.
I just tried to chose similar looking photos and these popped up.
Garrus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum