Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker 73 72.28%
Floyd "Money" Mayweather 28 27.72%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #76
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138
Default Re: Whitaker or Mayweather - Most skilled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I have always stuck to Pea being the more all-around skilled fighter. But, Mayweather's career VS Pea's shows me that he has always been the more disciplined mind and the more professional mentality. And in a legacy rating, it's why he's been able to keep inching closer and closer to Pea on my list as the years go by. If he had Pea's in and out of the ring mentality, I think he'd have dropped the ball by now. Probably gotten clocked into la-la land by somebody while taking the piss out of them. Regardless, I consider focus a skill. A mental skill. And Mayweather has that on Pea easily, for me.
True that PBF is fare more disciplined than Pea was out of the ring always in the gym somewhat of a sick obsession for it. Also more focused inside as well. Pea clowned far too much and it rubs judges the wrong way. Perfect example against Oscar.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #77
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Pea only clowned when he knew he was in complete control. It's not like he was pissing fights away just by messing around. He was toying with opponents because he was an arrogant bastard because he was a stupidly talented bastard.

Floyd is more disciplined and dedicated to the sport though, yeah. Credit to him for that, but it doesn't mean he's a smarter fighter inside the ring. Just because Whitaker liked to have fun in there and be a bit creative doesn't mean he went about it in a foolish way or anything.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #78
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Pea only clowned when he knew he was in complete control. It's not like he was pissing fights away just by messing around. He was toying with opponents because he was an arrogant bastard because he was a stupidly talented bastard.

Floyd is more disciplined and dedicated to the sport though, yeah. Credit to him for that, but it doesn't mean he's a smarter fighter inside the ring. Just because Whitaker liked to have fun in there and be a bit creative doesn't mean he went about it in a foolish way or anything.
So you call what he did against Oscar not clowning? He didn't have that fight in the bag when he started clowning.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #79
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post

Then there's the opposition thing, Floyd can seem smarter since he's fighting lesser boxers than Pea did.

Pea=/>Duran>>>Mayweather.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #80
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp C View Post
So you call what he did against Oscar not clowning? He didn't have that fight in the bag when he started clowning.
That was all the crack, man. Don't you see? He had already been got by then. It wasn't him, he wasn't making those decisions out there...the crack was.

Still probably deserved the decision.
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #81
ATCer777
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Whitaker.
ATCer777 is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #82
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I have always stuck to Pea being the more all-around skilled fighter. But, Mayweather's career VS Pea's shows me that he has always been the more disciplined mind in the ring and the more professional mentality outside and in it. And in a legacy rating, it's why he's been able to keep inching closer and closer to Pea on my list as the years go by. If he had Pea's in and out of the ring mentality, I think he'd have dropped the ball by now. Probably gotten clocked into la-la land by somebody while taking the piss out of them. Regardless, I consider focus a skill. A mental skill. And Mayweather has that on Pea easily, for me.
very interesting way to look at it

Fans too often overlook things like focus, persistence, and determination.
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #83
BobNWeave
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

What makes a complete fighter?
-Skill
-Heart
-Chin
-Power
-Dedication
-Smarts
-Speed
-Offence
-Defence
-Adjustability
Probably some more, I'm not in the mood to think too much..

Skill, as opposed to what many seems to believe, is not about flashy, cute stuff like fast hands, being afraid to get hit etc..

It's about making the things you do well work against your opponent.
If your only good asset is power, well, then you'll need to know how to make it work for you.
You don't have to be a defensive genius to be skillfull.
That's just a different tool to be skillfull at.

Ricky Hatton is extremely skillfull at closing the distance, working the body and keeping himself safe while in there.
He is what some people call an offensive inside expert.
Is there someone better at the same game? Probably. Is it relevant? No.

Mayweather is defensive master, in addition to be a master counter-puncher.
Is he a great infighter? No. He's skilled at it.

Anyways, my point is that you need to make your best assets work for you.
You need to be skilled in order to make your best assets win against your opponents assets.

Whitaker was MORE skilled in MORE areas than Floyd.
That makes him more complete in the skill-area. Does that mean he would beat Floyd? I think so, but it's not a fore gone conclusion.
BobNWeave is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum