It is true, at 21, no heavyweight would be able to handle Tyson. 61 78.21%
No I feel at 21, a certain heavyweight could beat Tyson 17 21.79%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
floyd_g.o.a.t
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3091
Default At 21, Is there any heavyweight in history that would be able to beat Mike Tyson?

Meaning both heavyweights at the time are 21.

I was having a chat with my mate, who is a Tyson 'fanatic' and was talking about the myth of, 'No heavyweight in history ever being able to handle a Prime Tyson'.

Then he explained that at 21, no heavyweight would be able to beat Tyson, providing they're 21 aswell. I wasnt too sure if I could disagree with that, of course it doesnt make Tyson better H2H than any particular heavyweight. But I just wanted everyone's opinion on this.
floyd_g.o.a.t is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: At 21, Is there any heavyweight in history that would be able to beat Mike Tyson?

No.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side VIP

vCash: 1385
Default Re: At 21, Is there any heavyweight in history that would be able to beat Mike Tyson?

Not a hope.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
raichu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

me.
raichu is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
xzero
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75

Mike Tyson had the body of a man before he was even a legal adult
xzero is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
miniq
神風
East Side VIP

vCash: 158

Maybe

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Stick in there for 6+ rounds.. how would young Tyson react?

22 year old Ali TKO'd Liston...

Liston was a badass mofo...
miniq is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniq View Post
Maybe

Liston is the Vitali of the 60s.

Biggest guys in the division
Both cheaters (Blinding Clay by Liston, and Roidali)
Both quit because their shoulders hurt
Both never beat a guy with a win record of 75% after 12 fights or a fighter that has never been KO'd before
Both lost to the best fighter they ever faced
Both are seen as iron chinned despite one being knocked the **** out by featherfist Ali, and the other being dropped by a golfer.

My post is meant for a laugh, pull away that hammer.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
j0llsrud
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 748

No one!
j0llsrud is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
Dunks
Absolute Grandmaster
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniq View Post
Maybe

Its funny how people are sometimes, fact is Ali would have made any version of Tyson look foolish in a boxing ring. Tyson was so dominant and aggressive early in his career because he was fighting stiffs and bums who had 4, 5, 6, 7 , 8, 9 losses on their records. They were made to Order for Tyson, seeing a Lion slaughter a lamb isnt impressive, now seeing a Lion slaughter another Lion, thats a different thing. Ali would have destroyed Tyson from the outside with hard jabs and fast right hands all while moving. Buster douglas did this exact thing and knocked Tyson out, Douglas is no Ali. Ali beat some of the greatest HW's ever who I would rank higher than the flash in the pan 21 year old Iron Mike.

Tyson has no stamina to go a full 12 rounds, he was merely a 6-8 round fighter while Ali was going 15 rounds with BEASTS. Even in Mike Tysons punch out they designed the game so that Tyson gets tired by the 3rd round so his opponent will be able to take advantage of his stamina issues.
Dunks is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

There's only one.

dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #11
Dunks
Absolute Grandmaster
ESB Addict

Arrow Re: At 21, Is there any heavyweight in history that would be able to beat Mike Tyson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
There's only one.

Dunks is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post
Its funny how people are sometimes, fact is Ali would have made any version of Tyson look foolish in a boxing ring. Tyson was so dominant and aggressive early in his career because he was fighting stiffs and bums who had 4, 5, 6, 7 , 8, 9 losses on their records. They were made to Order for Tyson, seeing a Lion slaughter a lamb isnt impressive, now seeing a Lion slaughter another Lion, thats a different thing. Ali would have destroyed Tyson from the outside with hard jabs and fast right hands all while moving. Buster douglas did this exact thing and knocked Tyson out, Douglas is no Ali. Ali beat some of the greatest HW's ever who I would rank higher than the flash in the pan 21 year old Iron Mike.

Tyson has no stamina to go a full 12 rounds, he was merely a 6-8 round fighter while Ali was going 15 rounds with BEASTS. Even in Mike Tysons punch out they designed the game so that Tyson gets tired by the 3rd round so his opponent will be able to take advantage of his stamina issues.
Hahahaha, Tyson was fighting an era that was both better and heavier than the 60s.

21 year old Ali doesn't have the chin he had later in his career.

Muhammad Ali after getting knocked down by Tyson: "Pass me the smelling salts, please"
dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Sauron
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Tyson faced some decent competition on his way up, and was quite busy prior to winning his title. He KO'd a pretty decent Marvis Frazier, and also fought good fighters afterward. Saying he mowed through bums is ridiculous.

Ali had a tendency to gas in the later rounds. He wouldn't have been a 1st round KO for Tyson, but I think Tyson could knock him out in the later rounds. Given the problems that Frazier gave Ali, I think Tyson would've fared pretty well against him.
Sauron is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Dunks
Absolute Grandmaster
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
Hahahaha, Tyson was fighting an era that was both better and heavier than the 60s.

21 year old Ali doesn't have the chin he had later in his career.

Muhammad Ali after getting knocked down by Tyson: "Pass me the smelling salts, please"
wait wait wait wait.....Tysons Era was better than Ali's era at HW?

please explain this. Ali's era has some of the greatest HW of all time. Id like to give Tyson credit for beating Larry Holmes but this wasnt a prime Holmes and he was coming off a 2 year layoff.
Dunks is offline  Top
Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #15
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
Tyson faced some decent competition on his way up, and was quite busy prior to winning his title. He KO'd a pretty decent Marvis Frazier, and also fought good fighters afterward. Saying he mowed through bums is ridiculous.

Ali had a tendency to gas in the later rounds. He wouldn't have been a 1st round KO for Tyson, but I think Tyson could knock him out in the later rounds. Given the problems that Frazier gave Ali, I think Tyson would've fared pretty well against him.
Frazier isn't Tyson at all though.

The closest "hw" like Tyson is Patterson.
dyna is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum