Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Default Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

Boxing needs to revamp itself, all you would need is a billionaire to buy the WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO belts and create new divisions creating far more competition and making the word champion far rarer.

210 + Super-Heavyweight

210-190 Heavyweight

190-170 Light-Heavyweight

170-155 Middlweight

155-145 Weltwerweight

145-135 Lightweight

135 - Featherweight
Black2023 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
cesare-borgia
‹bermensch in fieri
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Weed capital of the world
Posts: 14,469
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

I dont mind the current divisions, just want one clear champion per division and all the alphabet sanctioning bodies to **** off.
cesare-borgia is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
FORMIDABLE
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 275
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

The sanctioning bods are about making money. If a billionaire got into the sport, he'd have the same principles and they'd just continue issuing all the belts and collecting all the sanctioning fees. Boxing is how it is, and it's only going to stay the same at best, or get worse as it gradually has been since multiple belts came into play. There is no miracle cure, other than the sanctioning bods all going bankrupt, which the fighters themselves don't seem to want to allow being willing to pay sanctioning fees in order to call themselves a champion. WBC came so close to being killed off by the Rocchigianni case, that was the closest we came to getting rid of one of these shitty orgs, still it managed to survive. They really are like ****roaches, fans just have to get used to them being a part of boxing forever.
FORMIDABLE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 835
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

wait only down to 135?

need the low weights too

i think 4 titles is too much and that the weights divided by like 4 pounds should be gone 118, 122, 126, 130 erase 2 of those and thats ok

i could live with 4 titles if boxing was on free non cable TV

its hard to follow the top of the game if you dont have HBO and Sho even some Americans dont get ESPN

if its on 2-10 its watchable if boxing was on once or twice everyweek for all it would catch on again
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
pinolero1981
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 625
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

I think you still need the smaller divisions...

112 flyweight
118 bantamweight
126 featherweight

Although not popular in the U.S., these divisions have a big following in countries like Japan, Mexico, Philippines, Thailand, Nicaragua, etc. To eliminate would mean to cheat all those fans of seeing great fighters such as Koki Kameda, Giovani Segura, Nonito Donaire, Chris John, and Roman Gonzalez own championship belts.

Futher, after these divisions, I think the weight classes should follow as this -

135 Lightweight
147 Welterweight
160 Middleweight
175 Light Heavyweight
190 Heavyweight
210 Super Heavyweight

Basically, this is what the boxing landscape was prior to 1959...

And yes, I agree...one champion per division and eliminate all other sanctioning bodies...

Last edited by pinolero1981; 11-23-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Edited comment
pinolero1981 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #6
KO KIDD
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,563
vCash: 835
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

i think with less weights 4 titles may be more acceptable

still its bad but with less weights more guys have to squeeze into less divisions and the best will more likely fight the best if you erase 140 the guys would go up or down meaning that

Bradley and Alexander and Khan would be in the same division as either Manny or Mayweather of Marquez and Rios
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinolero1981 View Post
I think you still need the smaller divisions...

112 flyweight
118 bantamweight
126 featherweight

Although not popular in the U.S., these divisions have a big following in countries like Japan, Mexico, Philippines, Thailand, Nicaragua, etc. To eliminate would mean to cheat all those fans of seeing great fighters such as Koki Kameda, Giovani Segura, Nonito Donaire, Chris John, and Roman Gonzalez own championship belts.

Futher, after these divisions, I think the weight classes should follow as this -

135 Lightweight
147 Welterweight
160 Middleweight
175 Light Heavyweight
190 Heavyweight
210 Super Heavyweight

Basically, this is what the boxing landscape was prior to 1959...

And yes, I agree...one champion per division and eliminate all other sanctioning bodies...
I like that, yeah have it like that....middlweight should mean middle so need an etc on below say a 126 division.

210 plus Super Heavyweight
210 Heavyweight
175 Light-Heavyweight
160 Middlweight
147 Welterweight
135 Lightweight
126 Featherweight


If boxing looked like this could someone draw up a top 10 list for each division.

Heavyweight could have guys like Chambers, and Haye sticking there and making good money.

Light-Heavy could have guys like Pascal, Dawson, Bute, Froch, Dirrell, Kessler, Hopkins, Cleverly, Ward STACKED

Welterweight would be stacked aswell
Black2023 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Black2023
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO KIDD View Post
i think with less weights 4 titles may be more acceptable

still its bad but with less weights more guys have to squeeze into less divisions and the best will more likely fight the best if you erase 140 the guys would go up or down meaning that

Bradley and Alexander and Khan would be in the same division as either Manny or Mayweather of Marquez and Rios
Exactly thats the whole point, the best would have to fight the best, if your good enough your big enough, Marquez has shown that....he is what 5'7 and naturally around 142 and yet did better than 5'11 165 pound Margarito.
Black2023 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Ultimate Boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
Default Re: Revamp Boxing NOW - Time for change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black2023 View Post
Boxing needs to revamp itself, all you would need is a billionaire to buy the WBC, WBA, IBF, WBO belts and create new divisions creating far more competition and making the word champion far rarer.

210 + Super-Heavyweight

210-190 Heavyweight

190-170 Light-Heavyweight

170-155 Middlweight

155-145 Weltwerweight

145-135 Lightweight

135 - Featherweight
I do have a solution and it doesn't require buying the other sanctioning bodies or even require their cooperation.

The solution is to create one GOOD sanctioning body which fans and boxing experts consider to be the only belt that really matters. All the other titles have at least one major problem with them which this new sanctioning body would correct.
Ultimate Boxing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013