Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #16
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Re: Your favourite referee

I liked mills because he took no **** from the fighters was very firm and didnt have to worry about him making a mistake, the fights he refereed he was always in control

Last edited by Theron; 01-15-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 40950

Now, Bayless.

Before, Cappuccino.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #18
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

I always liked Tony Perez. He would let fights come to their natural conclusion rather than stopping it too fast etc. He also stayed out of the way for the most part and let the fighters fight. Too many referees today want to be on TV and get way too involved in the fight.
Rico Spadafora is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Harry Gibbs he used to make me laugh when I was younger if the boxers misbehaved he would clip them round the head .i used to sit there waiting for one of them to hit him back.
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1321

Smoger,Bayliss and Nady come to mind in this era.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #21
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Now, Bayless.

Before, Cappuccino.
Cappuccino was fantastic. I was impressed with when he said he knew it was time to retire (5 years ago?) when his leg went bad and he was more worried about his bum leg holding up in the ring than the fighters. He was/is a class act.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scartissue View Post
Didn't like Steve Smoger myself. It stemmed from him reffing the fight between Lance Whitaker and Lou Savarese. Whitaker dropped Savarese during one of the earlier rounds and Smoger is counting over Lou, when he got to about '8' (I should mention he was wearing a microphone) Lou is making no motion to get up and you can hear Smoger say, "OK, come on get up" before he says '9'. He had no business doing that. A ref has to be impartial. Personally, I always liked Harry Gibbs. Sometimes he'd get his point across heavy-handed if he had to and he was to the letter. I recall him DQ'ing Colin Jones when he clipped Curtis Ramsey after dropping him to a knee. Of course, he's not without his skeleton in the closet. The only time I saw him let things get out of hand was the Zarate-Gomez fight. If the fight took place in London I believe he would have DQ'd Gomez, but I think he was intimidated with the blood-thirsty fans of San Juan.
I've heard Gibbs tell a boxer to" get up,cmon son, you're not hurt." He always argued he was trying to get the best out of both boxers,and show a good fight.

Good guy, and a great referee. imo.

Don't think much intimidated Harry, the night it all kicked of at the Hagler /Minter fight , he left his seat to stand in front of Terry Lawless's wife and shield her from the bottles that were flying down from the upper tiers,he mentions it in his autobiography ,and it's true because I was there.
That wasn't Gibbs, it was fellow Welshman Adrian Morgan , and he blew it on the night. "I'll fight him again he's nothing ."Jones
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Cappuccino was fantastic. I was impressed with when he said he knew it was time to retire (5 years ago?) when his leg went bad and he was more worried about his bum leg holding up in the ring than the fighters. He was/is a class act.
That he was.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

He was also there for many big moments in the sport...

A few each of B-Hop's, Lewis', and Tszyu's title defenses, several Tyson fights including Spinks...and of course Ward vs. Gatti I. Not once did he leave a messy footprint in any of 'em.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #25
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
He was also there for many big moments in the sport...

A few each of B-Hop's, Lewis', and Tszyu's title defenses, several Tyson fights including Spinks...and of course Ward vs. Gatti I. Not once did he leave a messy footprint in any of 'em.
Yep. I was always very impressed with the way Mills Lane was able to keep control, even under the most bizzare of circumstances. I shutter to think what would have happened had it been Joe Cortez in the ring instead of Mills Lane for Holyfield-Bowe II with the fan man or Holyfield-Tyson II with the ear bite.

He'd probably have DQ'd half of the crowd while yelling a bunch of giberish while making weird faces.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I've heard Gibbs tell a boxer to" get up,cmon son, you're not hurt." He always argued he was trying to get the best out of both boxers,and show a good fight.

Good guy, and a great referee. imo.

Don't think much intimidated Harry, the night it all kicked of at the Hagler /Minter fight , he left his seat to stand in front of Terry Lawless's wife and shield her from the bottles that were flying down from the upper tiers,he mentions it in his autobiography ,and it's true because I was there.
That wasn't Gibbs, it was fellow Welshman Adrian Morgan , and he blew it on the night. "I'll fight him again he's nothing ."Jones
My bad, I don't know why I thought that was Harry in the Jones/Ramsey fight. I don't have any issue with a ref coaxing a fight out of a couple of fighters who are hesitant. Seen it enough times and they're absolutely right to do so, but Smoger's coaxing Lou while he was down, during the count, was showing way too much partiality and altered the natural course of the fight. I'll bet Jerry Quarry would have loved that coaxing in the Chuvalo fight. As for Harry, loved his style. But you should watch the Zarate-Gomez fight again. He definitely was intimidated in that one. A Gomez DQ would not have been out of the question in some countries.
scartissue is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #27
Skins
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I always thought Arthur Mercante brought class to a big fight.
Skins is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #28
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins View Post
I always thought Arthur Mercante brought class to a big fight.

yeah he was
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #29
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
Harry Gibbs he used to make me laugh when I was younger if the boxers misbehaved he would clip them round the head .i used to sit there waiting for one of them to hit him back.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #30
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Frank Cappucino

Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum