Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Kostya Tszyu vs. Oscar De La Hoya: Who Wins?
Tszyu 49 34.75%
De La Hoya 89 63.12%
Evens....Draw 3 2.13%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
punch13
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 980
Default Kostya Tszyu vs. Oscar De La Hoya

A fight that was suppose to happen, but never did. Kostya Tszyu vs. Oscar De La Hoya: Who wins? Prime vs. Prime here at 140 lbs. or 147 lbs.

Please vote on the poll
punch13 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Illmatic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kostya Tszyu vs. Oscar De La Hoya

DLH wins by UD at either weight.
Illmatic is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Andrey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Tszyu by a body shot KO.....

kidding, maybe De La Hoya would win, but I serioulsy De La Hoya would no way have easy time with him. De La Hoya with his 10 punch flurries landing one in ten to Tszyu landing a punch and hearing it in back of arena I think it could go either way but obviously Oscar has a better resume and beat better fighters.

Andrey
Andrey is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
hell on legs
The Human tank
ESB Jr Member

Location: when Bruce banner got mad he turned into the hulk, when the hulk got mad he turned into hell on legs

Kostya is a great man, a good boxer and an ispiration to all, but he would have been ko'd before mid fight.
hell on legs is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 PM   #5
doomeddisciple
Belt holder
ESB Addict

KT chops down the perenial late fading DLH in a classic war.
doomeddisciple is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
angelos
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 82

Hoya by ko. Oscar is too fast for Tszyu.
angelos is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #7
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelos
Hoya by ko. Oscar is too fast for Tszyu.
Just like Judah, Mitchell and Hurtardo were too fast for him as well hey??? Lucky Oscar doesn't leave himself WIDE OPEN for the right hand against one of THE BEST right hands in the history of the division, otherwise he might be in trouble...
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
gatorage
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Interesting point from around both fighter's primes, that common opponent Miguel Angel Gonzales (who was undefeated then lost by points to De La Hoya and KO to Tszyu) that Tszyu hit alot harder than De La Hoya. Gonzales said he'd never been hit harder than his fight with Tszyu, and that was straight after the DLH fight.

The weight does make a difference. At 147 De La Hoya is too big, Tszyu's chance is clearly at 140. If De La Hoya got into some of those flurried brawls like against Mosely and Quartey with Tszyu, I think he'd get put down hard.

I would never count out Tszyu at 140. The man was a beast and one of the sport's best finishers. I saw De La Hoya make plenty of mistakes that would hurt him against Tszyu. Still, DLH has a great chin...

Most likely scenario, De La Hoya is going to start looking flashy, make the mistake of flurrying for the crowd, get hit with a big Tszyu right that puts him on his ass, get back up and carefully jab his way to victory after that. I do think that if he tried to showboat a bit for the crowd, Tszyu certainly had the power to hurt him. De La Hoya doesn't swarm or pressure opponents, Tszyu would certainly have time to set up his punches.

No matter how fast or skillful you are, no one is going to blow Tszyu away at 140. Brutal bodypuncher as well, he headhunted way too much for most of his career, but I remember him saying in an interview about a potential matchup with DLH he'd hurt him to the body.

What a great fight it would have been. So close to happening too!
gatorage is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Borincano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't see Oscar doing that chicken dance Zab did. Oscar by UD.
Borincano is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
CJLightweight
Lightweight Kingpin
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Just like Judah, Mitchell and Hurtardo were too fast for him as well hey??? Lucky Oscar doesn't leave himself WIDE OPEN for the right hand against one of THE BEST right hands in the history of the division, otherwise he might be in trouble...
That was judah's first ever KO loss..but i do think that KT might upset DLH and could only win by KO/TKO.

ODLH at 140 was at his prime. Oscar by UD
CJLightweight is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorage
Interesting point from around both fighter's primes, that common opponent Miguel Angel Gonzales (who was undefeated then lost by points to De La Hoya and KO to Tszyu) that Tszyu hit alot harder than De La Hoya. Gonzales said he'd never been hit harder than his fight with Tszyu, and that was straight after the DLH fight.

The weight does make a difference. At 147 De La Hoya is too big, Tszyu's chance is clearly at 140. If De La Hoya got into some of those flurried brawls like against Mosely and Quartey with Tszyu, I think he'd get put down hard.

I would never count out Tszyu at 140. The man was a beast and one of the sport's best finishers. I saw De La Hoya make plenty of mistakes that would hurt him against Tszyu. Still, DLH has a great chin...

Most likely scenario, De La Hoya is going to start looking flashy, make the mistake of flurrying for the crowd, get hit with a big Tszyu right that puts him on his ass, get back up and carefully jab his way to victory after that. I do think that if he tried to showboat a bit for the crowd, Tszyu certainly had the power to hurt him. De La Hoya doesn't swarm or pressure opponents, Tszyu would certainly have time to set up his punches.

No matter how fast or skillful you are, no one is going to blow Tszyu away at 140. Brutal bodypuncher as well, he headhunted way too much for most of his career, but I remember him saying in an interview about a potential matchup with DLH he'd hurt him to the body.

What a great fight it would have been. So close to happening too!
I like the start of your post, however i think you are a bit off with your analysis. Oscar does not possess the boxing skills to out slick KT. Zab Judah couldn't do it, and a prime mitchell couldn't do it, both of whom are better counter punchers then Oscar. Oscar would be fighting at mid range, against a guy that excels from this position. I honestly think KT would be too much for him. KT was sooo strong, so powerful, and very very accurate. KT applies a tonne of hard pressure, and would force Oscar into a war. Oscar would land some good flurries, but he leans his head forward all the time, straight into the zone for the right hand of KT. I can see Oscar eating too many punches and losing a close decision, after getting KD a couple times. Great fight though... I just don't see Oscar getting to the inside where he can use his superior combination punching. He would have trouble getting there on a guy like KT.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #12
blood_lust
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

At 140 - Tyszu
At 147 - De La Hoya, since Tsyzu never fought at that weight.

Tsyzu could win by a KO or outboxing DLH. People forget that no one has ever outboxed Tsyzu, as he was a fantastic boxer with amazing amateur pedigree. His two career downfalls happened at the beginning and end of his career.

In Phillips, he got out-slugged against a good vet, due to his overconfidence and love of his power. In Hatton, he got beat by a very good young fighter that got away with very questionable tactics and a low blow that basically sapped all the life out of him. Again, Tyszu was overconfident again and on the way out.

On the flipside, Tsyzu would have been in the best shape of his life for a fight with De La Hoya and would have boxed, slugged and countered. Tsyzu in his prime was a monster. His only weakness was his ego.
blood_lust is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #13
punch13
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 980

I know that DLH's hands are fast, and to some extent powerful. But above 147 lbs., it seemed below average, which suggest to me that his true power effectiveness is at 147 lbs. or less. In my opinion, Tszyu is more powerful, and I know he'll find a way to penetrate through DLH's defense. It won't be easy since DLH has a good jab, and left hook, but I have Tszyu winning at 140 lbs., and a draw or a decision loss at 147 lbs since Tszyu might be a little too small for that weight level.
punch13 is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #14
doomeddisciple
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJLightweight
That was judah's first ever KO loss..but i do think that KT might upset DLH and could only win by KO/TKO.

ODLH at 140 was at his prime. Oscar by UD
How the hell do you figure that?

He had three fights at 140 - Chavez, Daryl Tyson and Miguel Angel Gonzalez.

Against Gonzalez, DLH's jab was a laser guided weapon and he dominated him - But Gonzalez did not even blink at DLH's power at any time.

As per Gatorage's post - Tszyu's Miguel Angel Gonzalez was his career best performance IMO - A thorough brutalising.
doomeddisciple is offline  Top
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 PM   #15
dave82
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I love KT however De La Hoya had all the tools to dismantle Tszyu. Late TKO for Oscar
dave82 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum