Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #31
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Are you talking about Roy Jones Jnr here? He had a fight only 6 or 7 months ago.
his last two fights were against guys that had a combined of 37 fights with only 7 KO's. I do not think this was by accident.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: I see Roy Jones hanging past his prime is hurtin his legacy more than Ali hurt hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
It does help that Ali spent his whole career fighting guys weve actually heard of!, cant say the same for Roy. As soon as he got into the ring with an actual contender he got his ass handed to him so I really dont give a shit about Jones Jr's legacy Im just glad I dont have to look at him anymore.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

It's sad to see Roy continue, but I don't understand the whole "He's hurting his legacy" stuff. No he isn't.

People don't think of Ali losing to Trevor Berbick, they think of the Thrilla, the Jungle and the Liston fights.

Duran boxed to 50 years old, and lost to guys nobodies ever heard of.

YOU CAN'T UNDO WHAT'S ALREADY BEEN DONE!

Roy can lose another ten fights. His record pre Ruiz, at 34, after 50 fights, can't ever be changed.

He has his legacy intact.

He was the first person in 106 years, to win a heavyweight title, after winning a one at middleweight.

He's only the second person in history to reclaim the 175 titles after coming back from heavy.

He's the only fighter in the history of the sport, to start his career at 154, and then go on to win a version of the heavyweight title.

Hopefully he'll retire soon, but his legacy was solidified ten years ago.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Twenty years from now Jones will be forgotten as a roided media creation who extended his career by living off of one win and fighting never weres while avoiding the best competition available.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #35
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
Twenty years from now Jones will be forgotten as a roided media creation who extended his career by living off of one win and fighting never weres while avoiding the best competition available.
So your answer to my OP question is "yes". OK, I'm cool with.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #36
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Which is the "one win" you speak of?
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #37
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #38
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
I think Roy wasted most of his money 'investing' in music.
Roy isn't really broke, last time I read an article Roy's worth was still estimated at about 10million, he did lose a bit in the whole record label investment in 2004 but he lives a relatively comfortable life in upscale neighborhood in Florida.
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #39
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftsmash View Post
Roy isn't really broke, last time I read an article Roy's worth was still estimated at about 10million, he did lose a bit in the whole record label investment in 2004 but he lives a relatively comfortable life in upscale neighborhood in Florida.
Why the **** is he fighting on then? Makes it even stupider
Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #40
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJoe View Post
Which is the "one win" you speak of?
Toney.

People would throw Hopkins in there but they ignore the fact that when Jones beat Hopkins Bernard had never fought a legitimate top ten fighter, had never fought for a title, had never fought a real threat as a fighter and as a result was largely unproven and didnt even have the amateur pedigree that Jones had to fall back on.

Ive never understood why Jones fans think Jones should get credit for beating the Hopkins who accomplished so much AFTER he fought Jones when in reality he was completely green when they actually did face and continued to improve dramatically over the next several years. He clearly was not the same fighter he would become.

Hopkins did everything he could to get a rematch with Jones starting in at least 1997, maybe earlier, and Jones did everything he could to avoid the match, just like he did for every challenging fight after Toney. It was thirteen years before Jones agreed to face Hopkins and he had nothing to lose by doing so. He got beaten easily and embarrassed despite the fact that Hopkins was older and arguably had more ring wear.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #41
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Toney.

People would throw Hopkins in there but they ignore the fact that when Jones beat Hopkins Bernard had never fought a legitimate top ten fighter, had never fought for a title, had never fought a real threat as a fighter and as a result was largely unproven and didnt even have the amateur pedigree that Jones had to fall back on.

Ive never understood why Jones fans think Jones should get credit for beating the Hopkins who accomplished so much AFTER he fought Jones when in reality he was completely green when they actually did face and continued to improve dramatically over the next several years. He clearly was not the same fighter he would become.

Hopkins did everything he could to get a rematch with Jones starting in at least 1997, maybe earlier, and Jones did everything he could to avoid the match, just like he did for every challenging fight after Toney. It was thirteen years before Jones agreed to face Hopkins and he had nothing to lose by doing so. He got beaten easily and embarrassed despite the fact that Hopkins was older and arguably had more ring wear.
Ha!

The only person who is getting embarrassed is you!

Where do you get your info from?

Hopkins did everything he could to make the rematch? Ha! I can't stop laughing!

What did he do?

He demanded a 50/50 share from Roy for the rematch, despite the fact that Roy already had the WIN over him, and would have had to have gone DOWN in weight for the catch weight. In 2002, Roy was making plans to go up to heavy.

There was no way in hell, he was going to go down in weight, to fight someone who'd he'd already beaten, who he didn't like, for 50/50.

Do you think if Hop had've won in 93, he'd have given Roy 50/50?

You're having a laugh!

If Bernard had've wanted that fight as bad as what he said he did, then he'd have taken the 40%

40% would still have been a lot of money.

As for Roy's win in 1993, how about the fact that it was Roy's first big fight. How about the fact that he was only 24, with a badly injured right hand? He wouldn't pull out of the fight. Roy wasn't at his best.

Bernard was only interested in Roy, when Roy was finished. He said that Roy was the only guy to truly beat him.

murad muhammad: "bernard was fearful of roy ... - FightHype.com
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Loudon; 01-16-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #42
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftsmash View Post

according to this and a couple other sites, his worth is currently around $45 million.

i don't know how credible these net worth sites are but if you put in tyson and holyfield it says they are worth $1 million. if i had to guess it's less than that. pretty sad. of course i'm one to talk since i don't have any net worth
kmac is offline  Top
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #43
Leftsmash
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post

according to this and a couple other sites, his worth is currently around $45 million.

i don't know how credible these net worth sites are but if you put in tyson and holyfield it says they are worth $1 million. if i had to guess it's less than that. pretty sad. of course i'm one to talk since i don't have any net worth
Tyson's I would say is correct, in the last few years he's had a decent income with media apperances as well as the motivational speaking slots he's been doing, nowhere near to his past life, but he takes care of his family in Arizona.
Leftsmash is offline  Top
Old 01-17-2013, 12:19 AM   #44
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Ha!

The only person who is getting embarrassed is you!

Where do you get your info from?

Hopkins did everything he could to make the rematch? Ha! I can't stop laughing!

What did he do?

He demanded a 50/50 share from Roy for the rematch, despite the fact that Roy already had the WIN over him, and would have had to have gone DOWN in weight for the catch weight. In 2002, Roy was making plans to go up to heavy.

There was no way in hell, he was going to go down in weight, to fight someone who'd he'd already beaten, who he didn't like, for 50/50.

Do you think if Hop had've won in 93, he'd have given Roy 50/50?

You're having a laugh!

If Bernard had've wanted that fight as bad as what he said he did, then he'd have taken the 40%

40% would still have been a lot of money.

As for Roy's win in 1993, how about the fact that it was Roy's first big fight. How about the fact that he was only 24, with a badly injured right hand? He wouldn't pull out of the fight. Roy wasn't at his best.

Bernard was only interested in Roy, when Roy was finished. He said that Roy was the only guy to truly beat him.

murad muhammad: "bernard was fearful of roy ... - FightHype.com

What a joke. Typical Jones fan excuse. "Jones beat him in 1993 and despite having refused every challenging fight for the past 7 years, and Hopkins being at the height of his popularity, should have gotten more money." Why? Why would anyone reward Jones by paying him more than the one guy who Jones could have concievably fought that was as popular as he was?

That makes absolutely no sense, businesswise or any other way. You tell me who was pricing themselves out of the fight.

I dont recall anyone "Roycott"ing Hopkins while he hid behind a fat HBO contract that even HBO regretted because it enabled Roy and forced HBO into a position of promoting the man instead of promoting his fights. Only idiots bought into the bull that was being sold to them. As PT Barnum said, theres a sucker born every minute. You drank the koolaide sucker.

I dont recall Hopkins demanding that his co-workers never mention a prospective opponents name because he continually refused to face him. It was Jones who had absolutely nothing to lose by facing Hopkins when he finally agreed to the rematch. Not the other way around, way to spin that story.

Are you actually going to argue that Jones and Hopkins was an even money match at the time? That Jones was green as Hopkins? He had faces a handful of fighters already that were at least as accomplished as Hopkins, if not more. Hopkins had been an Olympic finalist, Id say that qualifies as a big fight. That is besides all of the other national and international amateur competitions he had engaged in besides his professional experience. The gulf in experience was clearly in Jones' favor. Anyone who argues against that point doesnt know anything about boxing.

"His hand hurt" Hey, at the end of the day the decision to fight rests with the fighter. If Jones felt he was healthy enough to fight Hopkins then he cant blame his hand for that boring performance.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 AM   #45
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Lord Tywin,

Quote:
What a joke. Typical Jones fan excuse. "Jones beat him in 1993 and despite having refused every challenging fight for the past 7 years, and Hopkins being at the height of his popularity, should have gotten more money." Why? Why would anyone reward Jones by paying him more than the one guy who Jones could have concievably fought that was as popular as he was?
It's quite clear that you're a hater, but I'll debate with you.

Tell me the fights that Roy REFUSED, and you better have a credible source and some links etc, or you're going to look stupid.

Lets look at where they both were in 2002.

Hop was the unified champ at 160, and since losing to Roy, his biggest wins were Keith Holmes and Tito.

Roy was the unified champ at 175, he was a three weight world champ, and considered the best fighter on the planet, and was undefeated apart from his DQ to Griffin.

His best wins since beating Hop in 93, were Toney, Griffin, Hill, Reggie Johnson, Harding and Gonzalez.

Roy also had a win over Hop, yet you're asking why should Roy have got more?

Why do you think?

This was explained to you in the previous thread. The catchweight would have been around 168. Roy was at 175. It's a lot easier to put 7 pounds of muscle on, than it is to lose it.

So, you expected Roy to drop down in weight, to fight a guy who he'd already beaten, for the same share of the purse? Ha! I don't think so!

Do you seriously think if Hop would have had to have gone down in weight, and he'd have held a win over Roy, he'd have given Roy 50/50? No chance!

Roy had done more in his career, and he was the man back then. He held the cards. Did you not read the link I sent you?

Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense, businesswise or any other way. You tell me who was pricing themselves out of the fight.
Hop priced himself out of the fight. Then he had a year out, until he came back to fight Hakkar.

Quote:
I dont recall anyone "Roycott"ing Hopkins while he hid behind a fat HBO contract that even HBO regretted because it enabled Roy and forced HBO into a position of promoting the man instead of promoting his fights. Only idiots bought into the bull that was being sold to them. As PT Barnum said, theres a sucker born every minute. You drank the koolaide sucker.
Compare their resumes at that point.

Quote:
I dont recall Hopkins demanding that his co-workers never mention a prospective opponents name because he continually refused to face him. It was Jones who had absolutely nothing to lose by facing Hopkins when he finally agreed to the rematch. Not the other way around, way to spin that story.
If you're talking about Dariusz, you can have a whole page full of links, stating why the fight never came off.

I've spun the story?

Hop wouldn't take the 40% and then never mentioned Roy's name again, until he was washed up and had been knocked out in under 3 mins by Danny Green. Have you ever thought to yourself, that if Hop had've accepted the 40%, the fight would have been made? Also depending on the outcome, they may have been a trilogy. There was a lot of money to be made.

Quote:
Are you actually going to argue that Jones and Hopkins was an even money match at the time? That Jones was green as Hopkins? He had faces a handful of fighters already that were at least as accomplished as Hopkins, if not more. Hopkins had been an Olympic finalist, Id say that qualifies as a big fight. That is besides all of the other national and international amateur competitions he had engaged in besides his professional experience. The gulf in experience was clearly in Jones' favor. Anyone who argues against that point doesnt know anything about boxing.
I don't know why you're arguing this point.

Hop wasn't at his best, but neither was Roy. Apart from Castro, Roy hadn't beaten any really good fighters at the time he fought Hop, and it was also his first championship fight too. He'd only had 20 odd fights.

Quote:
"His hand hurt" Hey, at the end of the day the decision to fight rests with the fighter. If Jones felt he was healthy enough to fight Hopkins then he cant blame his hand for that boring performance.
Where are you going with this?

My point was, that Roy wasn't at his best either. Hop became a more accomplished fighter, and Roy had a badly injured hand, and was only 24.

Boring? That's your opinion. I didn't think it was boring. It was a good tactical fight, fought at a good pace. There was lots of skill involved.

How much better did Hop get though after this fight at 28?

He didn't lose for another 12 years. Roy was the only guy in 12 years to beat him. Bernard also said that Roy was the only guy to truely ever beat him clean.

So what does that say about how good Roy was?

Roy was 24, with an injured hand, but was the only guy in Bernard's own opinion, to have truely beaten him.

That tells me that Roy was an incredible fighter.

Last edited by Loudon; 01-17-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum