Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #1
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Oscar De La Hoya

Not too many threads about De La Hoya. What are some of your thoughts on Oscar? Great, almost great, overrated, underrated?

What about his close wins? What about his close losses?

Honestly, I think some people just hate on him for whatever reason.

I've heard people say he should have lost to Molina. This fight was not even a close fight IMO. Molina showed heart but a case can not be made that he won or even fought even with Oscar.

His win over Whitaker was close and a case can be made for a draw or even a close win for Whitaker. I feel that Whitaker rose to the occasion and Oscar did not fight the best fight he could have fought. I feel that Oscar got better after this fight. Not a robbery.

I've heard people say that Quartey should have beat Oscar. I really don't see it. Yes, the fight was close but I can't see a case being made for a Quartey win or even a draw to be honest.

He was undefeated going into the fight with Felix Trinidad in 1999. Trinidad got the decision but I had Oscar clearly winning the fight.

His first fight with Mosley was very good. I had Mosley winning by a point but a case can be made for a draw or even a close win by Oscar. Not a robbery.

He fought Mosley again and again lost a decision. This time I felt Oscar won by a couple of points.

He moved up to MW and fought Felix Sturm. Oscar did not look good at MW and in my opinion lost this fight. The decision went to Oscar and his next fight was Hopkins.

He showed heart vs. Hopkins but was stopped in the 9th. He retired.

He came back two years later and stopped Mayorga in 6. A year after that he fought Mayweather and lost a SD. A case can be made that he won this fight but no robbery.

He looked awful vs. Pacquiao and was stopped in 6. He hadn't fought below JMW in almost 8 years.

So, a case can be made that-

He lost to Whitaker, Mosley, Sturm, Hopkins, Mayweather, and Pacquiao.

A case can also be made that-

He beat Whitaker, Trinidad, Mosley x2, and Mayweather.

Someone who hated him could just say, "he should have 7 losses because Sturm beat him".

Someone who likes him could say something like, "the first fight with Mosley was a draw but he beat him in the rematch and he really only lost to MW Sturm, MW and LHW legend Hopkins, and Pacquiao when he was 137 years old and weight drained at 145 Lbs.

Thoughts please?
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Oscar De La Hoya

I beleive Oscar DelaHoya was a great star. Good for boxing in a sense. He was a very good, not great fighter IMV. He had good talent. Quick hands and that blistering lefthook. Nice left jab as well but he didnt develop his right hand enough to made it a viable threat from both sides of the plate.

Had he kept an consistant trainer throughout his career instead of switching he may have gotten the most out of his talent. Look at some of his big fights...the decisions aside he was extreme one way or the other. He was plodding forward against Shane Mosley one night dancing like Hector Camacho another time.

Mid fight adjustments were virtually non existent. The best I saw him integrate aggression with smart movement was against Fernando Vargas. That was the closest Oscar ever got to putting it all together IMV.

Cant talk about Oscar DelaHoya without mentioning the stamina issue. His habit of fading down the stretch. I believe he was in good physical condition but I dont believe he ever learned how to relax in the ring like the old pros do. Look at Felix Trinindad and his amazing stamina throughout his career. He was more natural and more relaxed as a fighter.

Anyway Oscar was a helluva fighter. A great star and at the end of the day his career was a success. Made alot of $ and took on a lot of good fighters. Though I do feel he let the fans down in some of those major PPV fights.

I believe the word "great" gets a little overused in referring to fighters.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427
Default Re: Oscar De La Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETM View Post
I beleive Oscar DelaHoya was a great star. Good for boxing in a sense. He was a very good, not great fighter IMV. He had good talent. Quick hands and that blistering lefthook. Nice left jab as well but he didnt develop his right hand enough to made it a viable threat from both sides of the plate.

Had he kept an consistant trainer throughout his career instead of switching he may have gotten the most out of his talent. Look at some of his big fights...the decisions aside he was extreme one way or the other. He was plodding forward against Shane Mosley one night dancing like Hector Camacho another time.

Mid fight adjustments were virtually non existent. The best I saw him integrate aggression with smart movement was against Fernando Vargas. That was the closest Oscar ever got to putting it all together IMV.

Cant talk about Oscar DelaHoya without mentioning the stamina issue. His habit of fading down the stretch. I believe he was in good physical condition but I dont believe he ever learned how to relax in the ring like the old pros do. Look at Felix Trinindad and his amazing stamina throughout his career. He was more natural and more relaxed as a fighter.

Anyway Oscar was a helluva fighter. A great star and at the end of the day his career was a success. Made alot of $ and took on a lot of good fighters. Though I do feel he let the fans down in some of those major PPV fights.

I believe the word "great" gets a little overused in referring to fighters.
True, except I call him great though. He consistently tried to prove himself against the best competition for a long time. Even in losses, he lost to atgs in Hopkins, Mayweather, Pacquiao, mosley. The style changes aspect you nailed. I honestly like his Vargas fight as his legacy win in a way. It proved his greatness. But yes he had flaws. I remember scoring it 8 to 4 Mayweather, just recorded it last night. In gonna give Mayweather/DeLaHoya another watch, but Oscar still troubled Mayweather.
hookfromhell is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum