Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who rates higher for you?
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. 66 43.71%
Julio Cesar Chavez, Sr. 85 56.29%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #226
Starched Him
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: ATG Acid Test: Mayweather, Jr vs. Chavez, Sr.

the mexican
only because i think macho could beat anybody on floyds list
Starched Him is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #227
NOTINDAFACE
No Me Se Rajar
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Just deal with it. Good Lord.

Oscar/Whitaker took Chavez to school. Why are you refuting this?

And Floyd completely massacred Oscar. Made Oscar his baby back bitch.

9-3 beating. Oscar landed nothing that whole fight.
You really have a big problem seeing the diffrence between a figher who is prime and who is not.

Like, Mcbride beat Tyson. You think that would have happend in Tyson's prime?
But to Mayweather nuthuggers prime/not prime, doesnt matter when they look who their daddy fought. The name is all that matters.
NOTINDAFACE is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #228
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
and it wasn't even Julio at his peak, man.

You are so right when you say that Julio should have stayed longer at 135lbs, where he was at his peak.
Despite the numerous quality scalps he took at 130 lbs, it really was at 135 where he leaped to the top of everyone's P4P lists.

Chavez Finally Commands the Spotlight
By PHIL BERGER
Special to the New York Times
Published: November 23, 1987

LAS VEGAS, Nev., Nov. 22 When he climbed into the ring Saturday night at the Las Vegas Hilton outdoor stadium, Edwin Rosario had a conspicuous addition to his entourage.

Rosario's celebrity bucket carrier was Mike Tyson, the heavyweight champion, who stood inside the ring shaking his fist to encourage the crowd, which was chanting Rosario's nickname: ''Chapo, Chapo, Chapo.''

Within the hour, Rosario looked as though he could have used more than token support from Tyson, his friend and stablemate. Rosario, who was stopped by Julio Cesar Chavez at 2 minutes 36 seconds of the 11th round of a scheduled 12-round bout, was cut over his right eye and was bleeding from his mouth and nose. His left eye was all but swollen shut.

Rosario's blood-smudged and distorted face was graphic proof that attention must now be paid to Chavez, who had been largely ignored by the public. Though he had come into the fight as the World Boxing Council superfeatherweight (130-pound limit) champion and was undefeated in 54 bouts, 45 of which he had won by knockout, his reputation had not reached far beyond boxing insiders.

That will change after the beating Chavez gave Rosario. Before a crowd of 8,151 paying spectators, Chavez, a 25-year-old fighter from Culiacan, Mexico, established his prime-time credentials.

Chavez was relentless in his dismantling of Rosario. From the opening bell, he gave Rosario no punching room. He crowded Rosario into the ropes, then repeatedly dug textbook-perfect left hooks into the other man's stomach and ribs, and added his fair share of thudding shots to Rosario's head.

Although he was outgunned, Rosario stood his ground and even landed hard shots of his own. But Rosario's punches never deterred Chavez, who kept after his opponent with a full-court-press doggedness. There were no knockdowns, but Rosario paid a heavy price for staying upright.

Chavez, who afterward said that he considered himself a natural lightweight (135-pound limit), is expected to give up his superfeatherweight crown. He said Saturday that his objective was to unify the lightweight division, then move up to the junior welterweight (140-pound limit) division.

Chavez's promoter, Don King, told reporters that he would like to match the fighter against Jose Luis Ramirez, the World Boxing Council lightweight champion who is also from Mexico. King conceded he had heard rumors that Ramirez was committed to a March 12 title defense in Paris against the 1984 Olympic gold medalist, Pernell Whitaker. But the promoter contended that Ramirez might change his mind and fight Chavez.

The other lightweight champion is Vinny Pazienza, who holds the International Boxing Federation title. Pazienza is scheduled to fight Greg Haugen on Feb. 6 in Atlantic City.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #229
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

BORKED
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #230
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

BORKED

the cobra is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #231
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
BORKED

Kind of unfair when you think about it. When you actually did hit him, it didn't do shit anyway. Then there's the whole thing about being one of the very best ever at cutting the ring, being amongst the greatest inside fighters and body punchers ever.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #232
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Old Man River isn't fighting 'til March, so I've got to change the avatar until then.

You'll like the new one.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:36 AM   #233
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Shocked.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #234
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

It's a cool picture.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a Floyd fan. I am. Just because I happen to recognize and fully understand that Pacquiao was a much more entertaining, much more valuable, much greater fighter doesn't change that.

(Plus, this way, when I talk Pac up in threads where he's compared to Mayweather, it will confuse the hell out of some people)
Old 01-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #235
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
It's a cool picture.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm a Floyd fan. I am. Just because I happen to recognize and fully understand that Pacquiao was a much more entertaining, much more valuable, much greater fighter doesn't change that.

(Plus, this way, when I talk Pac up in threads where he's compared to Mayweather, it will confuse the hell out of some people)

Pac's cool, but there's no way he'd sniff my top 20 favorite list. Or Hagler for that matter... He's been removed indefinitely. Thanks to ESB.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #236
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2123

Chavez has the record for most title fights, most fights going undefeated, most title fights won by KO and is 24-25th on all ATG lists, and fought everyone out there
alakran is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #237
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
Yes "Most" people

Unfortunately, most people have no real knowledge of the sport and simply bandwagon/nuthug popular fighters of the past.

When you have guys on this forum (80% of them) claiming that Ali is the greatest of all time, you know there's problems.

In addition, I have an extensive knowledge of the sport and even though the things I say are controversial, it's almost 100% correct and I definitely know more about boxing than most people on this forum.

Chavez did indeed fight bums for most of his career and never really had a CAREER defining ATG win. His longevity is amazing, had some GOOD wins but never an ATG win.

2 wins over Taylor sure
Rosario was a good win
Camacho meh
Haugen meh
Rog meh
Ramirez meh
Limon meh.

He never could beat Oscar/Whitaker. When faced with the best fighters, he folded under the pressure. That's why he will never rank above Floyd. Floyds undefeated, beat HOFS, great longevity.

I see Chavez like a Vitali/Wlad Klitschko. Beats a lot of decently good fighters but when faced with the best, they never could get it done.
Camacho and Rosario should be great wins, Mayweather hasn't fought anyone on their level
alakran is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #238
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
Dude are you serious? Chavez didn't fight a SHOT as **** Whitaker. Whitaker was arguably P4P the BEST. There is a difference between a DEBUT and fighting for a second time. Cotto is also not at the level of WHitaker. Chavez had been in several wars and was fighting constantly. Almost 100 fights. And was older than Whitaker. The comparison you brought up is waaaaay off.
you should just ignore him, anybody who compares that Cotto with a prime WHitaker should not be taken seriously
alakran is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #239
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What took you so long to find this thread, alakran?
NWS is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #240
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWS View Post
What took you so long to find this thread, alakran?
been to busy lately and then I get on to see some of these peoples opinions and it just makes me wanna leave again
alakran is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum