Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 1000
Default Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

I just rewatched this fight and haven't seen it in years. Vargas was very, very game and believe this was the most ferocious version of him, definitely the most motivated he had ever been.
This fight was really back and fourth until the end. De La Hoya took quite a bit of damage although never hurt. What a great fight between 2 bitter rivals at the elite level.
As for Vargas being dammaged goods from tito. Bullshit. This vargas was stronger, fiercer and alot smarter than the one that Tito beat. And his chin held up well until the 10th round.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Flexb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

I hate the style mayweather gave Oscar. Foreman was right saying that during the fight Oscar started resorting back to his style under Alcazar and got the KO because of that. He took a ton more dammage in this fight than vs. Quartey or Mosley. Vargas hit hard but Oscar wasn't getting out of the way like he used to with Mayweathers slugger style, shoulder roll BS had had Oscar executing.
Flexb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: the few, the proud, the Philippines
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 75
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

You know, I'm not really sure how much the Trinidad loss took out of him, but with the pattern of the fight, it's also possible that the undefeated Vargas could've done so much better.

Anyways, the fight was thrilling in it's own right. The ebb and flow is unpredictable. It was like Oscar stabs Vargas with a combination, then Vargas clubs him back with his own the next.

I was rooting for Vargas back then, but I have to concede that Oscar was the better man. I knew he had the better skillset, I just always believed he never had the pop at 154 since he never stopped Castillejo. I was wrong. Vargas was completely out after taking that hook at the end of the 9th. (If I remember correctly)
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: STL
Posts: 3,739
vCash: 500
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Man that just makes me think if he wouldve been 100% into fighting just no telling how good he couldve been.
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Monogamous STD
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 337
vCash: 1414
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

I saw it again today too. It's the first time I've signed in in a while and it made me want to talk boxing again. That's one that makes me think Oscar's stamina problem wasn't all that bad. Eleventh round of a very hard fight and he's still finishing a tough hurt opponent VERY strong.
Monogamous STD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monogamous STD View Post
I saw it again today too. It's the first time I've signed in in a while and it made me want to talk boxing again. That's one that makes me think Oscar's stamina problem wasn't all that bad. Eleventh round of a very hard fight and he's still finishing a tough hurt opponent VERY strong.
Yea, Oscar was actually known for closing championship fights in exciting fashions. He dropped Quartey in 12th, Ko'd Carr in 11th, Ko'd Vargas in 11th and I think I'm missing one more. The mosley 1 and Trinidad fights really put an unfair judgement on him, that he gasses. I mean look at the damage he took here vs. Vargas, yet had the steam to KO vargas anytime he wanted after the 10th round. Yet Vs. Tito, he was literally unscathed yet everyone says he gassed -- I think he just listened to his corner and took off for the hills with the belt knowing he SHOULD have been well ahead. Mind you it may have to do with the flat footed style mayweather gave him compared to the boxer puncher style Alcazar had him with and what he used vs. tito.

Anyway, oscar wasn't the "gasser" that he was labeled, and this vargas fight shows that.
Flexb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #7
Flexb
GQ Smooth
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,736
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarShane_24 View Post
You know, I'm not really sure how much the Trinidad loss took out of him, but with the pattern of the fight, it's also possible that the undefeated Vargas could've done so much better.

Anyways, the fight was thrilling in it's own right. The ebb and flow is unpredictable. It was like Oscar stabs Vargas with a combination, then Vargas clubs him back with his own the next.

I was rooting for Vargas back then, but I have to concede that Oscar was the better man. I knew he had the better skillset, I just always believed he never had the pop at 154 since he never stopped Castillejo. I was wrong. Vargas was completely out after taking that hook at the end of the 9th. (If I remember correctly)
I saw this fight live at a pub. the place was packed with fans for both man. I remember actually believing oscar may lose after a couple of the rounds where vargas pinned him along the ropes and beat him up some. Vargas was a machine in this fight and really don't care if he used steroids.
Flexb is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Monogamous STD
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 337
vCash: 1414
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexb View Post
Yea, Oscar was actually known for closing championship fights in exciting fashions. He dropped Quartey in 12th, Ko'd Carr in 11th, Ko'd Vargas in 11th and I think I'm missing one more. The mosley 1 and Trinidad fights really put an unfair judgement on him, that he gasses. I mean look at the damage he took here vs. Vargas, yet had the steam to KO vargas anytime he wanted after the 10th round. Yet Vs. Tito, he was literally unscathed yet everyone says he gassed -- I think he just listened to his corner and took off for the hills with the belt knowing he SHOULD have been well ahead. Mind you it may have to do with the flat footed style mayweather gave him compared to the boxer puncher style Alcazar had him with and what he used vs. tito.

Anyway, oscar wasn't the "gasser" that he was labeled, and this vargas fight shows that.
Sounds right to me.
Monogamous STD is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Whatever the Trinidad fight might have taken out of Vargas, he more than gained back with the roids for that fight. He was huge and powerful that night, very hard to discourage for awhile. He got caught by some big flush shots that night and seemed to take them all until it finally caught up with him late in the fight, but he just ate a lot of shots until then (Oscar's right hand was very good in this fight from the last time I saw it.)

This is one of my favorite fights: great atmosphere, very entertaining match, great ending as well.

This is probably DLH's 4th best performance after the Trinidad fight (tooled an ATG P4Per in his prime), the Mosley rematch (cleanly outboxed a roided-up Mosley), and the first Chavez fight. I'd say his 5th best performance was against Wilfredo Rivera in 1997 or against Miguel Angel Gonzalez in 1996. Late-1990s Oscar really was a force to be reckoned with.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Hatesrats
"Al Grito De Guerra"
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 28,491
vCash: 5200
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Watching this fight & the Vs. Chavez fights reminds me why it took so long for alot of the Mexican fight fans to warm up to Oscar.

He would showboat, Gloat & almost act bytch like when he won certain fights.
The Ali shuffle...
Sticking the tounge out ect...
(Might sound stupid but it's true)
Hatesrats is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,758
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats View Post
Watching this fight & the Vs. Chavez fights reminds me why it took so long for alot of the Mexican fight fans to warm up to Oscar.

He would showboat, Gloat & almost act bytch like when he won certain fights.
The Ali shuffle...
Sticking the tounge out ect...
(Might sound stupid but it's true)
The other things that made it hard for Oscar to get over with Mexican fans were 1) DLH was always more of a pretty boy/mainstream guy than rugged with a blue collar appeal; 2) more of a strategic, measured boxer than a guy who went to war; 3) he always emphasized the being American as much as being Mexican, while guys like Vargas de-emphasized being from the US; and finally, perhaps most importantly, 4) he increasingly began to look like a white guy as his career went on:

1996:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2007:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Point #4 is irrefutable
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
DobyZhee
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 14,704
vCash: 928
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

I saw this on fuel TV on Thursday..

Wasnt really impressed with either of them to be honest.

Saw this fight at a huge fight party in Vegas when I was in college...too shit faced to remember all the actual fight but Oscar finished him off in the corner I believe
DobyZhee is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #13
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

disagree

I love the floyd style that Oscar had with Sr

it extended his career and he did well
doylexxx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
WatchfortheHook
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 1894
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkFan16 View Post
The other things that made it hard for Oscar to get over with Mexican fans were 1) DLH was always more of a pretty boy/mainstream guy than rugged with a blue collar appeal; 2) more of a strategic, measured boxer than a guy who went to war; 3) he always emphasized the being American as much as being Mexican, while guys like Vargas de-emphasized being from the US; and finally, perhaps most importantly, 4) he increasingly began to look like a white guy as his career went on:

1996:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

2007:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Point #4 is irrefutable
Random thought...do you think some of these points affected Fernando Montiel's popularity in Mexico?
WatchfortheHook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: Vagas vs. De La Hoya Video - forgotten Gem

Oscar's right hands were impressive in that fight. Was also impressed by how he kept his cool under Vargas's onslaught early on.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013