Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #91
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Best Classic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist
Senya exaggerates for effect a lot of the time. He'll think Ken Norton overrated and that Toney has a good chance of beating him and bleat out something farcical like "Toney by shutout". Just his style. He does, in honesty however, hold some pretty 'out there' beliefs.

As for JT, I think he has a pretty good sense of humour and keeps the place pretty lively with his banter. His tag team work with MDWC is pretty good value you have to admit - when you're not on the recieving end of it!
I was only making the point that I believe Senya really does research what he thinks. That is worth an honest read from us, whether we agree with the conclusion or not.

As far as JT is concerned, some of his banter keeps this section fun while at the same time, informative! Conteh (or whomever he is having dinner with at the moment) is the same. One or the other has went after me a time or two I'm sure I hold no hard feelings.... in fact, they may have been correct a time or two... although I'll still say Hearns is a chicken-legged fighter
RoccoMarciano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2008, 03:43 AM   #92
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorlax
Me.
Surely the hypnotic eyes are doing some damage... Perhaps a "legend" in the eyes???
Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #93
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
I was only making the point that I believe Senya really does research what he thinks. That is worth an honest read from us, whether we agree with the conclusion or not.
Agree.

Quote:
As far as JT is concerned, some of his banter keeps this section fun while at the same time, informative! Conteh (or whomever he is having dinner with at the moment) is the same. One or the other has went after me a time or two I'm sure I hold no hard feelings.... in fact, they may have been correct a time or two... although I'll still say Hearns is a chicken-legged fighter
And agree.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #94
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
In the public eye, he's, well, i'd better not say it

I'll suzie-Q her right out of those jeans
Old 02-15-2008, 03:52 AM   #95
RoccoMarciano
Blockbuster
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
And agree.
Glad we agree agree regarding Hearns... it is soooo hard to gain an acceptance of fact these days!

Last edited by ufoalf; 02-15-2007 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:34 AM   #96
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Quite a few Jekyll and Hyde characters around the traps aren't there?
We are definitely not lacking in all sorts of characters

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #97
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Mate, i don't even belong on there lol. But yes Greg Page is certainly reeling people in! I'm too cheeky and know nothing compared to many others pre 70's. I'm also too cheeky and straight . I just stick my nose in and post a lot LOL
But that's just it. As I type this response, JohnGarfield has reached exactly 1000 posts. With over 15,000, you have supplied a tremendous amount of the petrol which keeps this forum in good health. Your "cheekiness" has been provocative enough to spur significant feedback. If nobody had produced more than 1000 posts, this site would be considerably more barren, as priceless a first-hand resource as JohnGarfield's posts are.
Quote:
I mean look at the names not up. I won't go into deep mention as i will forget someone and feel bad, but a guy like Stonehands (Among many others of course) gives an awful lot and goes to great lengths when discussing/debating with people in here.

As janitor hinted, it is the sum of the parts and collection of knowledge and opinion that makes this forum such an incredible source of great information and opinion. Even from bad and misinformed opinions we learn, as these inspire others to reply and address and we all learn something along the way. Therefore in essense, even many a poor/inexperienced/stubborn/silly (Or however one wants to put it) poster is invaluable in his own way as they push into action others who paint a more complete and well rounded picture.

Of course a large amount of this forum is just opinion based, Ali - Louis, Whitaker - Duran etc and many topics are hard to be conclusive on, but the journey sure is fun and enlightening.

A great forum at the end of the day.
Yes, with prolific and articulate posters like yourself setting the tome for the rest of us. You belong on that list because of how you help elevate the discourse, and your ceaseless passion for the sport. This forum will not completely degenerate into primitive and semi-literate insults and trashing exchanges so long as we have such well expressed and thoughful dialogue available here.

If everybody who deserved mention was on a poll like this, then it would probably take up the entire first page of the thread (or more). That there would be some slights and omissions is guaranteed.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #98
Lobotomy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoMarciano
Brain death doesn't become you!
If I meandered into the cesspool of the General Forum to make predictions, my countless deficiencies would become instantly apparent. Wishful thinking is my downfall.
Lobotomy is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #99
Jack Dempsey
Legend
ESB Addict

Agree with John Garfield and Duodenum, also Zivic1941 who used to post here, not seen him about much
Jack Dempsey is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 AM   #100
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Revolver/Homicidal Hank was the best.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #101
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobotomy
But that's just it. As I type this response, JohnGarfield has reached exactly 1000 posts. With over 15,000, you have supplied a tremendous amount of the petrol which keeps this forum in good health.
Jeez, THAT many?

Quote:
Your "cheekiness" has been provocative enough to spur significant feedback. If nobody had produced more than 1000 posts, this site would be considerably more barren, as priceless a first-hand resource as JohnGarfield's posts are.
Some might label it differently from "cheek", but

Quote:
Yes, with prolific and articulate posters like yourself setting the tome for the rest of us. You belong on that list because of how you help elevate the discourse, and your ceaseless passion for the sport. This forum will not completely degenerate into primitive and semi-literate insults and trashing exchanges so long as we have such well expressed and thoughful dialogue available here.
Thanks for the comments mate, much appreciated. Look forward to seeing you in action more.

Quote:
If everybody who deserved mention was on a poll like this, then it would probably take up the entire first page of the thread (or more). That there would be some slights and omissions is guaranteed.
Yes, polls like this have always made me leery as if one goes into names he will always miss out someone, then another, then another etc. There must be at least 20 posters in here i take extreme notice of, and then some. I've quite enjoyed Chris Pontius' transformation from a slightly subdued poster who gathered info all the time to a more provocative, assertive and confident guy who has the courage of conviction to take on controversial topics at times and go hard with the best of them. He's also prolific as well.

For humour dinner is in a class of his own with RW gone. I don't think even he realises i mostly call him "dinner" now in honor of Nicky Wells Jr's hilarious dealings with him.

I also love Zivic's first hand accounts of big fights at ringside.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #102
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

JT. Your consistent on here, and thats only part of the reason why you can hang in there with the best of em.

Pat_Lowe. Under appreciated.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #103
zivic1941
Journeyman

John Garfield is supposed to be past his prime. Didn't happen. Father time knocked on his door, but he wouldn't let him in.

You folks do a very good job here. Enjoy reading the posts when I can.
zivic1941 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum