Aaron Pryor 1 4.00%
Roberto Duran 24 96.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Who wins this fight? Aaron Pryor who fought Arguello vs. Roberto Duran 1979 -140

Who would win this fight. The timeline of Pryor fighting Roberto in 1979 is not there since Aaron was not ready for Roberto at that time, so let's put the Roberto of 1979 who could make 140 probably with Aaron who fought Alexis.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who wins this fight? Aaron Pryor who fought Arguello vs. Roberto Duran 1979 -14

Roberto Duran, coming off of his June, 1978 trilogy Knockout win over three-time archrival Esteban DeJesus, versus Aarron "The Hawk" Pryor, coming off of his dramatic November, 1982 knockout over Alexis Arguello, at 140 would be huge fireworks all around. A promoters dream.

Aarron would take it to Duran early, just like DeJesus did to Duran in the first two of three fights between them, before Roberto would start to adjust and find his own rythm by exploiting Pryor's defensive lapses and cutting him down. A flash knockdown by Pryor is possible but the end result would be a late knockout by Duran.

Duran KO 13 or 14 Pryor!

Note: In a best of three fight series between them I can see Aarron taking one against Roberto, but overall "Manos De Pidras" has better skills over "The Hawk".
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who wins this fight? Aaron Pryor who fought Arguello vs. Roberto Duran 1979 -14

Duran counters the bejeezus out of Pryor and stops him mid-rounds. Pryor tripping over his own feet to fall into Duran with a million punches would be a dream come true for Duran.

Duran would throw alot less but land a higher percentage of punches, not neglecting body work early. He'd take the steam out of Pryor by mid-rounds and it would be all Duran come round 6 or 7.

Unlike Arguello, Duran has the speed of footwork and defense, in addition to the power and accuracy that Alexis had to keep Pryor somewhat respectful.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Can't think of a single advantage that Pryor has. Perhaps stamina, but probably not without his magic potion.

If Duran comes in at his best, I just can't see Pryor with a chance. I actually think Roberto would ruin him. That technically flawed defence coupled with an iron chin is bad, bad news against a prime Duran.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
FIN
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Dream fight,Duran on points in a war..
FIN is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Duran of that time frame (vs Palomino) was one of the most complete & best fighters in the history of boxing, Pryor from that time frame (vs Arguello) was one of the best 140 lbers in history, that`s the gap here. Duran at his peak beats Pryor all day long, but it will always be a fantastic FOTY type fight & Pryor always does well & makes Duran bring out the big guns to get the job done.

Pryor`s open defence & Duran`s excellent defence will be the main things here.

Duran by UD (clear-cut but an outright war)
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I really wanted to pick Pryor...but in reality I would be very surprised if he won. I just don't see it. I see aarons aggresiveness being more of a disadvantage than an advantage against Duran.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
I really wanted to pick Pryor...but in reality I would be very surprised if he won. I just don't see it. I see aarons aggresiveness being more of a disadvantage than an advantage against Duran.
Yeah, his best bet is to try and box Duran. He could box quite well when he wanted to. Of course, he won't win that way, but if he walks into Duran it will be be a painful beatdown in the end. Duran in 1979 was much, much quicker than the versions of Arguello and Cervantes Pryor fought and every bit as precise as Arguello. Add better power, chin, strength, stamina and defence to that and you have someone who could take an onrushing Pryor absolutely apart.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

This is obviously going to be an excellent fight but I see Duran winning by ud or a late round stoppage
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Hands of Stone takes this UD
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

I agree with most of you. Duran would love the way Aaron fought Arguello and would win a late round knockout.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I dont think it would be a one sided fight by any stretch of the imagination. Aaron Pryor brought great handspeed, good power and uncommon intensity into the ring himself.

Pryor threw punches in bunches but more importantly he threw from very awkward angles and he had good power on them.

I do think Duran`s superior boxing skills and defense are the difference at the end of the day. He is not going to be running into Pryor`s shots full force the way Aaron is going to eat Duran`s rightcross.

I just dont see any fighter from `35-`40 taking Duran`s righthand consistantly without serious consequences eventually. Even a man as tough as Aaron Pryor will be staring at the ringlights.

Excitement all the way though.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate 2011 View Post
Roberto Duran, coming off of his June, 1978 trilogy Knockout win over three-time archrival Esteban DeJesus, versus Aarron "The Hawk" Pryor, coming off of his dramatic November, 1982 knockout over Alexis Arguello, at 140 would be huge fireworks all around. A promoters dream.

Aarron would take it to Duran early, just like DeJesus did to Duran in the first two of three fights between them, before Roberto would start to adjust and find his own rythm by exploiting Pryor's defensive lapses and cutting him down. A flash knockdown by Pryor is possible but the end result would be a late knockout by Duran.

Duran KO 13 or 14 Pryor!

Note: In a best of three fight series between them I can see Aarron taking one against Roberto, but overall "Manos De Pidras" has better skills over "The Hawk".

Just how I feel about this one. Duran would stop Pryor in the latter part of the fight.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #14
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

The only thing Pryor has on Duran is stamina but in boxing that's pretty important, still goto go with Duran
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum