Would this be at cruiserweight?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
JIm Broughton
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs Evander Holyfield

Gotta go with Evander in this one as much as I hate to but Holy has the edge in just about every category. Height, reach, weight, speed, mobility, and is evenly matched as far as chin, durability and determination are concerned. Evander has taken the bombs of men like Tyson, Bowe, Holmes, Foreman and Lewis, men much bigger and more powerful than anyone Rocky ever faced. Holy's reach, hand speed and combination punching would probably be too much for Rocky to withstand and Evander's chin would stand him in good stead against Rocky's punches. That's not to say that this would be a cakewalk however. If Rocky can sneak in a couple of good rights and lefts in close ala Bert Cooper then he has a chance, but I think a more likely scenario would be Evander jabbing, giving Rocky angles and sending in some brutal combos that would either cut up Rocky or force the ref to call a halt to the match. Evander would have the advantage of sending in his shots from long (Or longer) range while Rocky would have to somehow find a way to get in Evander's chest to land his, all the while taking hard fast shots to the face round after round. This fight makes me think of Holyfield vs Quawi in a styilistic sense. It would'nt be easy but I think Evander would prevail.
JIm Broughton is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 09:05 PM   #4
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Rocky CAN win, but I wouldn't favor him.

Like above poster said, Evander proved himself against far bigger and more competent fighters than Rex Layne.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

And Rocky didnt?? Walcott? Charles?? Archie Moore?? These guys are legends.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
And Rocky didnt?? Walcott? Charles?? Archie Moore?? These guys are legends.
He proved himself against fighters slightly smaller than himself, who were mostly past their primes. 3 of the 4 big name scalps on his resume were... Past their prime.

This is ridiculously well known and I've got zero idea why it needs to be regurditated EVERY thread.

Holyfield proved himself against smaller AND bigger men, moving up in weight considerably.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

And I suppose Holmes, Foreman, and Tyson were in there primes when Evander beat them??
Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
i just cannot see Marciano beating Holyfield. Just cant!
You cant?? I see it as a war, with Marciano's long term work out getting the edge over a tired Evander. The truth is Holyfiled has gas out in more than 1 mere fight. Sure he look great in Tyson 1, but was gas out against the likes of Bowe and Moore. (At Heavyweight)
I think Marciano battles his way to a hard earn victory, maybe even stopping him. I think the early rounds may go to Holyfiled, and when he starts to tired, the edge will swing with Marciano. Also Holyfiled will not get away with the clichs like he did with Tyson. Marciano would head butt and elbow right back.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Holyfield had many problems against the 5ī7- CW- Qawi, and Qawi was at the best a poor man- Marciano and someof you canīt immagine Rocky beating the inconsistent "Roid Deal" Evander? Cīmon guys, even if you donīt like the rock, show some respect for him...

Marciano TKO 10 Holyfield
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
sthomas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holy got hit more often and with way more flush shots than Rock did, and Rock always found his mark. I think he would take Holy out in the late rounds, too much power.
sthomas is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
bxrfan
Sizzle
ESB Addict

Holyfield wins this, I'd like to see Marciano stand up to some of the big guys Holyfield fought. Marciano sure as hell wouldn't go undefeated.
bxrfan is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm Broughton
Gotta go with Evander in this one as much as I hate to but Holy has the edge in just about every category. Height, reach, weight, speed, mobility, and is evenly matched as far as chin, durability and determination are concerned. Evander has taken the bombs of men like Tyson, Bowe, Holmes, Foreman and Lewis, men much bigger and more powerful than anyone Rocky ever faced. Holy's reach, hand speed and combination punching would probably be too much for Rocky to withstand and Evander's chin would stand him in good stead against Rocky's punches. That's not to say that this would be a cakewalk however. If Rocky can sneak in a couple of good rights and lefts in close ala Bert Cooper then he has a chance, but I think a more likely scenario would be Evander jabbing, giving Rocky angles and sending in some brutal combos that would either cut up Rocky or force the ref to call a halt to the match. Evander would have the advantage of sending in his shots from long (Or longer) range while Rocky would have to somehow find a way to get in Evander's chest to land his, all the while taking hard fast shots to the face round after round. This fight makes me think of Holyfield vs Quawi in a styilistic sense. It would'nt be easy but I think Evander would prevail.

I second this gentleman's excellent explanation. Holyfield would win a tough fight. No one in history has an easy fight with Marciano even if they end up winning.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Holyfield had many problems against the 5ī7- CW- Qawi, and Qawi was at the best a poor man- Marciano and someof you canīt immagine Rocky beating the inconsistent "Roid Deal" Evander? Cīmon guys, even if you donīt like the rock, show some respect for him...

Marciano TKO 10 Holyfield
And did you miss the rematch with a more mature Holyfield being one of the few people ever (Along with Foreman) to stop Qawi?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2008, 11:37 PM   #14
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238
And I suppose Holmes, Foreman, and Tyson were in there primes when Evander beat them??
Nope.

But do you really want to argue that the Foreman/Holmes Holyfield beat were any more past their best than Joe Louis when Marciano beat him?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #15
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
And did you miss the rematch with a more mature Holyfield being one of the few people ever (Along with Foreman) to stop Qawi?

And did you miss that this version of Qawi (against Holyfield) wasnīt prime anymore? Watch Qawi against Saad Muhammad and against Holy II and donīt say you didnīt notice the differences here. I donīt know why especially you Russel donīt like/ respect Marciano, but if I hear things like "I canīt immagine Marciano beating Holyfield" or the weight- shit (although Marciano was naturally clearly a bigger man than Evander) than I totally lose the respect/ interest on this forum. Every year Marciano is getting worse, his best wins more shot and older, Rocky smaller (in 2 years he will be 5ī8 or so), you know what I mean? Itīs getting boring now...
Luigi1985 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum