Holyfield 19 39.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Rocky Marciano vs Evander Holyfield

I find size telling when the fighter possessing it is just as if not more skilled to boot.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I find size telling when the fighter possessing it is just as if not more skilled to boot.

What you´re saying makes absolutely no sense. It wasn´t so that Holyfield totally destroyed all his opponents, only when he stepped up to HW the big and skilled HW´s troubled him a bit (Bowe, Lewis, etc.), he also struggled with small HW´s like Moorer or Cooper, who weren´t nowhere near the class a ATG like Marciano had.
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #18
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIm Broughton
Gotta go with Evander in this one as much as I hate to but Holy has the edge in just about every category. Height, reach, weight, speed, mobility, and is evenly matched as far as chin, durability and determination are concerned. Evander has taken the bombs of men like Tyson, Bowe, Holmes, Foreman and Lewis, men much bigger and more powerful than anyone Rocky ever faced. Holy's reach, hand speed and combination punching would probably be too much for Rocky to withstand and Evander's chin would stand him in good stead against Rocky's punches. That's not to say that this would be a cakewalk however. If Rocky can sneak in a couple of good rights and lefts in close ala Bert Cooper then he has a chance, but I think a more likely scenario would be Evander jabbing, giving Rocky angles and sending in some brutal combos that would either cut up Rocky or force the ref to call a halt to the match. Evander would have the advantage of sending in his shots from long (Or longer) range while Rocky would have to somehow find a way to get in Evander's chest to land his, all the while taking hard fast shots to the face round after round. This fight makes me think of Holyfield vs Quawi in a styilistic sense. It would'nt be easy but I think Evander would prevail.
I agree, altough Marciano wouldn't do better than Qawi did. Qawi was alot faster and buiser than Marciano was. I see Holyfield fighting his fight and doing what he wants. Marciano is great because of what he accomplished, but he was lucky to come around when the division was weak and filled with past thier prime greats greats like Charles, Louis, Moreer, Walcott, ect. If Marciano had fought a bit while longer, he would have been out boxed badly and stopped on cuts against Ali, and knocked out for the first time if he had fought Liston. I dont think hes overated but by some people he is. Holyfield is just in a different league.
slicksouthpaw16 is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #19
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksouthpaw16
I agree, altough Marciano wouldn't do better than Qawi did. Qawi was alot faster and buiser than Marciano was. I see Holyfield fighting his fight and doing what he wants. Marciano is great because of what he accomplished, but he was lucky to come around when the division was weak and filled with past thier prime greats greats like Charles, Louis, Moreer, Walcott, ect. If Marciano had fought a bit while longer, he would have been out boxed badly and stopped on cuts against Ali, and knocked out for the first time if he had fought Liston. I dont think hes overated but by some people he is. Holyfield is just in a different league.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #20
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Now even a fighter like the 41-12 or so 5´6- Qawi is head-to-head better than Marciano.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #21
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I see you're still embarrassing yourself

JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #22
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi1985
Now even a fighter like the 41-12 or so 5´6- Qawi is head-to-head better than Marciano.
Show me where i said that he was better? I said that Qawi was was buiser and quicker than Marciano.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #23
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1

I see you still dont know anything about boxing and reading posts wrong.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #24
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:

Look at his prediction, he said Marciano wouldn´t do better than Qawi did against Hoyfield, and in another thread he picked Toney to beat Qawi at CW, let´s ask him who win between Toney and Marciano...
Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #25
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Show me where i said that he was better? I said that Qawi was was buiser and quicker than Marciano.

You wrote that Marciano wouldn´t do better against Holyfield, and it´s not a style thing or so, so in your opinion Qawi is head-to-head better. Marciano would brutally KO Qawi in 3 or 4 rounds.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #26
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Look at his prediction, he said Marciano wouldn´t do better than Qawi did against Hoyfield, and in another thread he picked Toney to beat Qawi at CW, let´s ask him who win between Toney and Marciano...
Sometimes i wonder if he even knows what day it is
Old 02-23-2008, 09:58 AM   #27
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Sometimes i wonder if he even knows what day it is

Toney RTD 1 Marciano

Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #28
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I see you still dont know anything about boxing and reading posts wrong.
Most people tend to show a bit or respect after being put over someones knee and spanked red raw
Old 02-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #29
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Toney RTD 1 Marciano

Nothing would surprise
Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #30
slicksouthpaw16
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
You wrote that Marciano wouldn´t do better against Holyfield, and it´s not a style thing or so, so in your opinion Qawi is head-to-head better. Marciano would brutally KO Qawi in 3 or 4 rounds.
No, he wouldn't. Marciano was never even a big heavyweight back then and today he would only be considered a small cruiserweight. The guy was only about 5'10 and 185lbs when he was at his best. That would be an even fight. Its just laughable the way you overate him. The man is great but not as great as you make it seem. He would only be a contender in the Ali/Liston or Ali/Frazier era.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum