At 154 lbs.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime for prime - Sugar Ray Leonard v Mike McCallum

A competitive fight that will no doubt go to the cards, but I'm sticking with Leonard. McCallum was a superb natural at 154, but Leonard had no problems competing well at this weight class. His speed and volume would be the key. About the only thing I'd worry about if I were Angelo Dundee, is McCallum's relentless body attacks, which posses a threat for wearing Ray down late. But at the end of the day, I can see Leonard taking a close yet decisive win on points.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
A competitive fight that will no doubt go to the cards, but I'm sticking with Leonard. McCallum was a superb natural at 154, but Leonard had no problems competing well at this weight class. His speed and volume would be the key. About the only thing I'd worry about if I were Angelo Dundee, is McCallum's relentless body attacks, which posses a threat for wearing Ray down late. But at the end of the day, I can see Leonard taking a close yet decisive win on points.
SRL was gassing in the 9th of the kalule fight & Journyman howard parked him on his arse & Leonard could'nt quit the sport fast enough.

This is a tough 15 rounder & i'am going with the body snatcher too force a corner retirement around 13/14. Kalule was pounding on Leonards head all night & even started to get the crowd roaring him on from the 6th. Leonards not going to move around the ring, he ai'nt ALI, Leonards gonna do what he always did & thats plant-em & unload, but going by the Kalule fight he's gonna get slowly busted up.

I don't doubt leonards balls & heart for a micro second but he could'nt cut it above 154 & if the ref had'nt stopped that Kalule fight right on the bell then Leonard was in very deep dark water as he was gassed after that last do or die assault. Kalule was slowly coming onto leonard & matching him punch for punch & as far as i'am concerned it was all down hill for leonard once the 10th got under way.

McCallam for me is a teak tough top class technician & over 15 he's a lock for the UD or TKO.
duranimal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
SRL was gassing in the 9th of the kalule fight & Journyman howard parked him on his arse & Leonard could'nt quit the sport fast enough.

This is a tough 15 rounder & i'am going with the body snatcher too force a corner retirement around 13/14. Kalule was pounding on Leonards head all night & even started to get the crowd roaring him on from the 6th. Leonards not going to move around the ring, he ai'nt ALI, Leonards gonna do what he always did & thats plant-em & unload, but going by the Kalule fight he's gonna get slowly busted up.

I don't doubt leonards balls & heart for a micro second but he could'nt cut it above 154 & if the ref had'nt stopped that Kalule fight right on the bell then Leonard was in very deep dark water as he was gassed after that last do or die assault. Kalule was slowly coming onto leonard & matching him punch for punch & as far as i'am concerned it was all down hill for leonard once the 10th got under way.

McCallam for me is a teak tough top class technician & over 15 he's a lock for the UD or TKO.
leonard fiught Howard after being in retirement for more than two years, so its not surprising that he looked rusty. This is supposed to be a prime for prime match-up after all, and I think Leonard's peak ended with the Bruce Finch bout... kalule was finished after that knock down, so I think the referee's decision was a sound one....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DzCpPsCVwk[/ame]
Old 05-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
leonard fiught Howard after being in retirement for more than two years, so its not surprising that he looked rusty. This is supposed to be a prime for prime match-up after all, and I think Leonard's peak ended with the Bruce Finch bout... kalule was finished after that knock down, so I think the referee's decision was a sound one....

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Obviously Kalule was stunned but he was one tough nut & as i said about SRL with regard to his gassing out it's there for all to see as his punches where coming in at wider & wider arc's. OK there power shots as Ray's going for broke, but i'am not so sure he could have upped it in the later rounds as he was tired & just look at the ease at which Kalule was catching him & that was down to fatigue. Hence my opinion that the bodysnatcher would have had his way with Ray over 15.

I think SRL was one of those bright super-nova's that explodes bright then rapidly fades. In the larry bonds fight prior to hearns he struggled & Dundee was screaming at him at the end of the 2nd "You do know you've got a stiff in front of you don't you" & Leonard laboured. But all respect to him when you consider he fought 5 times in 15 months...incredible
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

THis is an amazing match up and I will say here and now a prime McCallum would have been Ray's toughest fight bar none ... Mike had the chin, strength and stamina to make it a brutal affair over 15 and it could go either way .. Kalambay proved Mike could be outboxed but he was a bigger , stronger natural middleweight than Ray ... just not sure ... may favor Ray but would not bet it ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
Obviously Kalule was stunned but he was one tough nut & as i said about SRL with regard to his gassing out it's there for all to see as his punches where coming in at wider & wider arc's. OK there power shots as Ray's going for broke, but i'am not so sure he could have upped it in the later rounds as he was tired & just look at the ease at which Kalule was catching him & that was down to fatigue. Hence my opinion that the bodysnatcher would have had his way with Ray over 15.

I think SRL was one of those bright super-nova's that explodes bright then rapidly fades. In the larry bonds fight prior to hearns he struggled & Dundee was screaming at him at the end of the 2nd "You do know you've got a stiff in front of you don't you" & Leonard laboured. But all respect to him when you consider he fought 5 times in 15 months...incredible
True.

And who knows? I agree that McCallum in his prime would have been a tough proposition for anyone. He was probably one of the very best Jr Middles that ever lived and certainly had an incredible blend of stamina, skill, durability and rare skill - particularly in the defense and body work department. He might very well have beaten Leonard on second though...
Old 05-10-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Leonard UD.

Tough fight for sure but SR piles up points with speed. Kalumbay was tougher for McCallum than Kalule was for Leonard, and Leonard had the right skill set to do what Sumbu did in neutralizing McCallum enough for a win.

Bottom line, Leonard had that champion gene in abundance and would find a way in his biggest challenges.

Great thread.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Leonard UD.

Tough fight for sure but SR piles up points with speed. Kalumbay was tougher for McCallum than Kalule was for Leonard, and Leonard had the right skill set to do what Sumbu did in neutralizing McCallum enough for a win.

Bottom line, Leonard had that champion gene in abundance and would find a way in his biggest challenges.

Great thread.
Yet you neglect to mention Mccallum vs Kalule or Kalambay II in your analysis.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Leonard would have to dig as deep as he did against Hearns in the first fight. I think he gets it done though in a close and enertaining fight.

Leonard by split decision.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #11
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Leonard by close but clear UD.

McCallum would have success but I think Ray could use his speed and he was one gritty SOB when he needed it.
ETM is online now  Top
Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #12
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Ray wins on the cards but is the more damaged of the two, is my best guess. Nearly an even fight, this. I wouldn't make any man 60-40 over the other.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #13
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I pick SRl over McCallum because of his advantage in foot speed. Ray just moves much better than Mike. I still think Mccallum was the better JW, but foot speed was his achiles heel.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For all Leonard's greatness, this is 154. McCallum's better suited to it. Being the bigger man, he systematically body-batters Ray, living up to his nickname in a clear UD.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Vintage Kalule fight Leonard has too much for Mike.
lora is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum