Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Orlando ''Siri'' Salido vs Mikey Garcia

This is a damn good fight, tomorrow night on Boxnation.

It's got the battle hardened champion in Salido and the young contender who's not put a foot wrong in Garcia. Pressure fighter vs Counter Puncher and both can punch.

Garcia's been steadily matched, he's built a solid record and developed over the duration of his 30 fight career. He's now 25 years of age and has now filled out and developed into a good athlete. He fights patiently, you can see he's well schooled. He looks to counter punch from most of stuff i've watched this week. I know Slip made a thread a while back on the lad and watching more of him see that he likes to allow openings to come then jump on them.

Stays in a solid base, Looks comfortable in his own skin. Is happy to lead off if openings don't present themself like against Concepcion. He's got the speed of hand and variety to set things up. He's also light on his feet when attacked and out of position he gets himself back out to long range quick enough.

I'd say his offense is his defence, He's a little up right and tends to get clipped with right hands and left hooks. He doesn't pick them off as well as a counter puncher should do but due to his sharp counters normally limits much offense and controls behind his jab which is uses to control and disrupt fighters advances.

Salido isn't just a brawler, i like this guy. He advances well as he shuffles feet through the ranges. He doesn't just run forward he approaches behind a tight guard. He moves the head on way in, Bobs the lead hand up and down to keep you thinking then when he gets close he touches you with a jab and sometimes just lets them bombs go without a jab.

He stays low, can jab or turn to a lead hook. He's got a awkward overhand right and digs well to body. He's also on his toes, and is willing to parry a jab and have a look at how to get in. Once he gets into war mode and has success he's a very hard man to stop. He throws punches from any angle and digs. He can be over zealous as we saw against Haya but we also saw he's willing to get off the floor to win and taken on some big punchers and saw the final bell or duked it out and won.

As for the fight:
Garcia is facing his first acid test IMO, He's looked good so far. Mature in his displays but one wonders how he deals with Salido's onslaughts.

-Establish the Jab: Cannot let Salido just walk forward, He has to try keep this fight at long range. Salido's not as effective there, also with the jab established you can start to cause damage and leave Salido all at sea.

-Hold centre ring: Felt Juanma in second fight came out gunshy, testament to Salido's power but i think backing up near ropes and letting Salido get him into position a awful idea. Garicia circles well, pivots and keeps in stance. I think he's going to have to keep this in centre ring. Stay in punching position, Will take a brave, confident display but it can be done.

-Balance leading off and countering: Mikey needs to know when to shoot counters and when not to trade with Salido. He's going to have to fend off the advances. Force Salido into throwing the bombs from long range and see them early and make him pay but also balance when to counter and lead. He's going to have to fight a 12 round fight, but try not to fire fight with Salido and look for stunning counters all the time. Salido grows off small successes.

For Orlando Salido:

-Tempo: Garcia isn't a guy who likes to fight at to much of a pace, he's very settled and likes to see his fighter and pick them apart. Salido has to take him out of element. Unsettle him and keep the fight at a tempo where he doesn't let Mikey think and pick shots.

-Limit openings: Garcia isn't exactly a dancer, Salido doesn't need to show him his cards to early. Just needs to keep that pressure on, doesn't always have to punch. Just get close, let him feel the strength and keep him backing up. Try position him closer to ropes if possible.

-The right hand!: Key punch, Whether he straightens it or loops it. Garcia is a tad upright. Not stiff but upright and at times rolls onto that punch. I think Orlando has to let the right hand go when in short range. Vary it and let it land. Garcia's not been asked those type of questions and he's open to it.

I have a feeling it's going to be exciting, a fancy a stoppage. I think if Garcia can settle down he could well stop Salido late but i got a nagging feeling Orlando's going to win inside 9 rounds. I just think his relentless pressure and variety will unsettle Garcia and just got a feeling he may be a little to rough round the edges for Mikey.

It's a tough fight to call, But just sense the awkwardness being a little to much.

How you see it going down?.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Orlando ''Siri'' Salido vs Mikey Garcia

Most intriguing fight of the night for me Mand. Thats a great post BTW.

I've gone with Salido because he's answered questions at a higher level than Garcia has so far. Thats not to say Garcia can't step up and he's the more skillful fighter but I think if it goes to the trenches at any point then Salido will come through.

I'm not at all confident in that though!!
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post

I've gone with Salido because he's answered questions at a higher level than Garcia has so far. Thats not to say Garcia can't step up and he's the more skillful fighter but I think if it goes to the trenches at any point then Salido will come through.

Thanks Gaz , I agree mate it's a tough fight to call. I'm same going with someone who's answered these questions before. Nice run of form Salido's on bar Gamboa as well.

Martinez vs Burgos will be a nice tear up as well, think this is a show i will stay up for .
Old 01-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Thing is Salido is battle tested at a higher level but Garcia is the "coming fighter". Proper pick 'em fight.

I fancy Burgos to beat Martinez but again not really with a massive amount of conviction.

I've got to be up early Sunday morning so it'll be Sunday night before I get to watch the card.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Thing is Salido is battle tested at a higher level but Garcia is the "coming fighter". Proper pick 'em fight.

I fancy Burgos to beat Martinez but again not really with a massive amount of conviction.

I've got to be up early Sunday morning so it'll be Sunday night before I get to watch the card.
Yep no doubts tomorrow i'll start swaying for a Garcia win ..

Haven't seen much of Burgos, Saw a few clips and thought he's gonna mesh well with Martinez style.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
PUG
Everyday Is LIke Sunday
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

CHB ALERT!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
PUG is offline  Top
Old 01-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Tough tough fight to call. I'm going with Garcia watched him a few times I really think he has the tools to cause most problems very good boxer and he has the punch to get anyone's respect. Salido though is the worst type of fighter you can throw someone in with if they are A. Not good enough, B. Not ready yet or C. Not prepared. Salido as you mentioned Mand Salido is a solid high tempo pressure fighter and he actually knows how to intelligently pressure a fighter not a good combination for any opponent add to that he is tough as nails. I think Mickey though is very aware in the ring which will be the key Mickey looks to be a fighter who gets himself safe first and throws. Looking forward to this as you say an Acid test even if he comes through it with the win it will be good to see what the PH levels are after the litmus test.

LHL is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412

Been a Garcia fan for a while now but not sure about this one
I can see Garcia dominatin the first 6-8 rounds even knockin Salido down but then I think the pressure will get to him and he will get stopped in 10-12
2 power punchers tho anythin could happen
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
Hoshi
bigboi
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2419

Hard to pick a winner. Edging to Salido but I am a fan of both.

Any idea of the ringwalk time for this fight. Going to set my alarm and get the coffee on. No chance of staying up unless I have friends round. Ta.
Hoshi is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
sportofkings
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Whenever you can say you've got a 50-50 fight between two good fighters, you know its an excellent matchup. Were going to find about Garcia's intangible qualities tonight, and if he can pass this massive test, the skys the limit for him at 126. Really looking forward to this card overall, GGG putting someone to sleep is always exciting, Brugos and Martinex cant be anything other than a slugfest and we've got this fight right here.
sportofkings is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
Jim Bowen
MARVELOUS
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUG View Post
CHB ALERT!!!

What's you point oddball. This isn't communist China, people are free to go on whatever Boxing Forum they wish, as my man IB will attest to.
Jim Bowen is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Great post as usual Skills.Siri seems to have found a new resolve and I don't see him slipping just yet.He has the style to completely upset Garcia's rhythm and I'm thinking of sticking a few rupees on the late stoppage.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Thanks lads, & Thanks PTF. I think you use a key word there. ''Rhythm'' how's Garcia going to feel if he's not allowed to settle, Can he adapt and can he see out the stormy parts of the fight..
Old 01-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
This is a damn good fight, tomorrow night on Boxnation.

It's got the battle hardened champion in Salido and the young contender who's not put a foot wrong in Garcia. Pressure fighter vs Counter Puncher and both can punch.

Garcia's been steadily matched, he's built a solid record and developed over the duration of his 30 fight career. He's now 25 years of age and has now filled out and developed into a good athlete. He fights patiently, you can see he's well schooled. He looks to counter punch from most of stuff i've watched this week. I know Slip made a thread a while back on the lad and watching more of him see that he likes to allow openings to come then jump on them.

Stays in a solid base, Looks comfortable in his own skin. Is happy to lead off if openings don't present themself like against Concepcion. He's got the speed of hand and variety to set things up. He's also light on his feet when attacked and out of position he gets himself back out to long range quick enough.

I'd say his offense is his defence, He's a little up right and tends to get clipped with right hands and left hooks. He doesn't pick them off as well as a counter puncher should do but due to his sharp counters normally limits much offense and controls behind his jab which is uses to control and disrupt fighters advances.

Salido isn't just a brawler, i like this guy. He advances well as he shuffles feet through the ranges. He doesn't just run forward he approaches behind a tight guard. He moves the head on way in, Bobs the lead hand up and down to keep you thinking then when he gets close he touches you with a jab and sometimes just lets them bombs go without a jab.

He stays low, can jab or turn to a lead hook. He's got a awkward overhand right and digs well to body. He's also on his toes, and is willing to parry a jab and have a look at how to get in. Once he gets into war mode and has success he's a very hard man to stop. He throws punches from any angle and digs. He can be over zealous as we saw against Haya but we also saw he's willing to get off the floor to win and taken on some big punchers and saw the final bell or duked it out and won.

As for the fight:
Garcia is facing his first acid test IMO, He's looked good so far. Mature in his displays but one wonders how he deals with Salido's onslaughts.

-Establish the Jab: Cannot let Salido just walk forward, He has to try keep this fight at long range. Salido's not as effective there, also with the jab established you can start to cause damage and leave Salido all at sea.

-Hold centre ring: Felt Juanma in second fight came out gunshy, testament to Salido's power but i think backing up near ropes and letting Salido get him into position a awful idea. Garicia circles well, pivots and keeps in stance. I think he's going to have to keep this in centre ring. Stay in punching position, Will take a brave, confident display but it can be done.

-Balance leading off and countering: Mikey needs to know when to shoot counters and when not to trade with Salido. He's going to have to fend off the advances. Force Salido into throwing the bombs from long range and see them early and make him pay but also balance when to counter and lead. He's going to have to fight a 12 round fight, but try not to fire fight with Salido and look for stunning counters all the time. Salido grows off small successes.

For Orlando Salido:

-Tempo: Garcia isn't a guy who likes to fight at to much of a pace, he's very settled and likes to see his fighter and pick them apart. Salido has to take him out of element. Unsettle him and keep the fight at a tempo where he doesn't let Mikey think and pick shots.

-Limit openings: Garcia isn't exactly a dancer, Salido doesn't need to show him his cards to early. Just needs to keep that pressure on, doesn't always have to punch. Just get close, let him feel the strength and keep him backing up. Try position him closer to ropes if possible.

-The right hand!: Key punch, Whether he straightens it or loops it. Garcia is a tad upright. Not stiff but upright and at times rolls onto that punch. I think Orlando has to let the right hand go when in short range. Vary it and let it land. Garcia's not been asked those type of questions and he's open to it.

I have a feeling it's going to be exciting, a fancy a stoppage. I think if Garcia can settle down he could well stop Salido late but i got a nagging feeling Orlando's going to win inside 9 rounds. I just think his relentless pressure and variety will unsettle Garcia and just got a feeling he may be a little to rough round the edges for Mikey.

It's a tough fight to call, But just sense the awkwardness being a little to much.

How you see it going down?.
I was saying to Bogo on the Gen the other day that I love how Siri almost fights from a crouch but isn't flat footed.I think he could use the jab a bit more as he can be effective with it,but what I like most about him that he follows up brilliantly.If that first punch doesn't connect,you're almost guaranteed there'll be another one or two coming right behind it.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Good point mate, Lot of fighters feel they need to touch there opponent before throwing another punch but Salido just lets em' go. The fact Garcia's upright, those akward power punches Salido throws are dangerous.

Been watching some padwork of Garcia's, Looking like he's going to box using lateral movement and changing angles.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum