Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mike Spinks vs Pinklon Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Ivey_76 View Post
instead of Holmes. Who you got?

At his best,Thomas beats Spinks. If,however,Pinklon is going off as he was against Trevor Berbick,Spinks would win.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Michael Spinks, because something was wrong with Thomas after the Weaver fight.

I don't know if it personal issues with his marriage, or managerial worries, or whether he was using heroin again, or the punches he took against Weaver ... or his singing career .... or a combination of all that, but he was never much good after the Weaver fight.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 09-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Michael Spinks, because something was wrong with Thomas after the Weaver fight.

I don't know if it personal issues with his marriage, or managerial worries, or whether he was using heroin again, or the punches he took against Weaver ... or his singing career .... or a combination of all that, but he was never much good after the Weaver fight.

Probably the drugs.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

At his best, Pinklon beats Spinks, but, as mentioned before, after Weaver, not the same fighter.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #6
FlyingFrenchman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Talking Re: Mike Spinks vs Pinklon Thomas

Michael Spinks by decision.

Pinklon Thomas is one of those guys on this forum who seems to get better as time goes by, in retrospect anyway. Thomas showed potential to be better than what he actually was, but what he was and what some people say he was, were two totally different things.

Thomas beat a bunch of bums thru the first four years of his career. Guys who on their best day couldn't beat my old out of shape ass. He stopped Quick Tills in the 8th, fought a 10 round draw with Coetzee, stopped Alfonzo Ratliff in the 10th (I think he played on Silver Spoons and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, he also used to hang out with Michael Jackson, real tough guy), he barely beat an out of shape Witherspoon to win the WBC HW title. He went life and death with Weaver before stopping him in the 8th- then I guess he was supposed to be washed up the next day???

Thomas got the snot beat out of him by Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Morrison, and others. I know, drugs, women, past prime, blah, blah, blah. He really wasn't that good to begin with, deal with it!
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
ROCKYMARSHMELLO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrenchman View Post

He really wasn't that good to begin with, deal with it!

I truthfully don't think anyone gives a flying fvck.
ROCKYMARSHMELLO is offline  Top
Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Mike was so weird to fight with all those gangly bizarre angles he came at his opponents from, that Needles wouldn't be sure if he was clean or doped up after the opening bell rang. Pinko loses a pretty clear UD here. One didn't jab his way to a decision win over Michael.
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrenchman View Post

Pinklon Thomas is one of those guys on this forum who seems to get better as time goes by, in retrospect anyway. Thomas showed potential to be better than what he actually was, but what he was and what some people say he was, were two totally different things.

Thomas beat a bunch of bums thru the first four years of his career. Guys who on their best day couldn't beat my old out of shape ass. He stopped Quick Tills in the 8th, fought a 10 round draw with Coetzee, stopped Alfonzo Ratliff in the 10th (I think he played on Silver Spoons and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, he also used to hang out with Michael Jackson, real tough guy), he barely beat an out of shape Witherspoon to win the WBC HW title. He went life and death with Weaver before stopping him in the 8th- then I guess he was supposed to be washed up the next day???

Thomas got the snot beat out of him by Tyson, Holyfield, Bowe, Morrison, and others. I know, drugs, women, past prime, blah, blah, blah. He really wasn't that good to begin with, deal with it!

Nah, he declined for sure.
You make the excuse for "out of shape" Witherspoon, and then imply that even Thomas's losses to Bowe and Morrison mean something. That's not right.

Look, the guy was a heroin addict at 14, and somewhere in his career he went back to using drugs. I don't know when that was, but eventually it got out of hand - and it likely was to be a factor.

More narrowly, he definitely wasn't the same fighter for the Berbick fight as he had been when he beat Witherspoon. He fought three bums after that and looked bad and some were saying he was 'washed-up' going into the Tyson fight, which might have been an exaggeration.

Can't see how anyone would argue that he wasn't washed-up for the Holyfield fight and every fight after though.
Unforgiven is online now  Top
Old 09-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
Ipay4leavingNot
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

spinks has a knack for beating tall jabbers like holmes, hence I favour him
Ipay4leavingNot is offline  Top
Old 09-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Spinks was lucky to face a past-his-prime Holmes.Put him in against a Dokes, Page, Tubbs, Williams, or Witherspoon, he gets that ass handed to him every time.
Titan1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum