Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default Ken Buchanan vs beau jack

Buchanan vs jack over 15 rounds

It's buchanan's boxing skills against the swarming powerful volume punching of a prime jack
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ken Buchanan vs beau jack

Buchanan braves the best that Jackcould offer and wins going away in a 15 rounder. Tough fight.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Buchanan braves the best that Jackcould offer and wins going away in a 15 rounder. Tough fight.
couldn't say it any better myself
Nightcrawler is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I lean towards Ken here...in a very tough encounter, helped perhaps by two elements, Buchanan being, despite his quire boy looks, a flint hard competitor, and perhaps Beau Jack's commitment to attack, leaving him prone to being matadored, sidestepped by the Buchanan zig-zag, unlike many speed-merchant mobile boxers, in the mode say of Howard Davis, Ken rarely found the Ropes a Spiders web entrapment, he would bob up and down..left and right..and spin out like a whirling Tartan Top...only to the assault the air-fanning opponent with a volley of stattaco Jabs...and a semi-jig of footwork to rub some salt into the growing frustration, if not wounds,

Perhaps the reason Duran beat Buchanan was because of his Uncultured street aggression...the ex- street urchin from Panama bought an Extremely unpredictable element to his aggression that really threw Kenny off, as perverse as it sounds, perhaps Ken would of fared better against the more cultured thoughtful Duran of post Dejusus 1st fight (?) I think Beau Jack does not bring quite the same "Rough Edges" as the Panama Kid...Tough Edges and Core..Yes, But i think Buchanan could read this more conventional approach,
and surf it, and absorb it when he has to, a tough encounter because Beau Jack will not stop trying, but i think their are enough occassions when Ken has Jack wrong-footed and swiping the air...that the "─rtistically Memorable " moments are seen to belong to him...and that garners Ken a hard fought decision,
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Thanks for the post,s . I was watching some highlights of the Duran/Buchanan fight the other day when this match up occurred to me. Buchanan had really top level skills but the one thing that I was left thinking was against an elite swarmer like jack would he be able to control distance during the fight.
This fight would be so good to watch there would have to be a trilogy and for me one of the close decision's would go jacks way
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

The Beau Jack I saw at his best is never seen on film except for the Ike Williams ko.
So to say that a Ken Buchanan [a fine boxer] could hold off a dynamo like the prime Beau Jack is wrong I believe...Beau flattened a Tippy Larkin, as good a boxer ever, he
decisioned a truly master boxer Willie Joyce, Beau kod a terrific classy boxer Allie Stolz, beat Lulu Constantino who had a 56 win streak, kod British bomber Eric Boone, beat the
bigger, trickster Fritzie Zivic twice in one month, beat a terrific Bob Montgomery,
ALL above would most likely beat a Ken Buchanan. Beau Jack swam in an era of tougher sharks,with the exception of Roberto Duran...Beau Jack overwhelmes the defense of Ken Buchanan IMO...
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
The Beau Jack I saw at his best is never seen on film except for the Ike Williams ko.
So to say that a Ken Buchanan [a fine boxer] could hold off a dynamo like the prime Beau Jack is wrong I believe...Beau flattened a Tippy Larkin, as good a boxer ever, he
decisioned a truly master boxer Willie Joyce, Beau kod a terrific classy boxer Allie Stolz, beat Lulu Constantino who had a 56 win streak, kod British bomber Eric Boone, beat the
bigger, trickster Fritzie Zivic twice in one month, beat a terrific Bob Montgomery,
ALL above would most likely beat a Ken Buchanan. Beau Jack swam in an era of tougher sharks,with the exception of Roberto Duran...Beau Jack overwhelmes the defense of Ken Buchanan IMO...

Thanks burt great post
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The thing that's overlooked here is Buchanan's toughness. Sure it's listed as Duran tko 13 Buchanan, but it was of a low blow and therefore Buchanan was never truly stopped. He's easily the best fighter ever from the UK...even if he had an aborted championship reign.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
The thing that's overlooked here is Buchanan's toughness. Sure it's listed as Duran tko 13 Buchanan, but it was of a low blow and therefore Buchanan was never truly stopped. He's easily the best fighter ever from the UK...even if he had an aborted championship reign.
I don't think I have if your referring to me that is.as if he was not a truly tough man jack would no doubt stop him. I don't think either man stops the other although out of the two I would think jack throws the harder punches. My worry for Buchanan here is could he hurt jack enough to keep him off.either way this would be a great fight
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
I don't think I have if your referring to me that is.as if he was not a truly tough man jack would no doubt stop him. I don't think either man stops the other although out of the two I would think jack throws the harder punches. My worry for Buchanan here is could he hurt jack enough to keep him off.either way this would be a great fight
Br B. Maybe i can offer some insight on the toughness of Beau Jack;'s chin...In the 1940s there was a neighbor of mine Al [Bummy] Davis,who had the greatest left hook of the lightweight division. An authentic tough guy whose left hook flattened Tony Canzoneri and the marvelous boxer Tippy Larkin amongst others...Bummy threw his left-hook from an orthodox position [left hand in front]. My dad and I saw Al Davis fight the terrific
lightweight Bob Montgomery at MSG. Davis was a 1-8 underdog to lose, but in the very first round Bummy flattened Montgomery with that powerful
left hook and the crowd went wild...Well a few weeks later in a sold out MSG , Al Davis met Beau Jack in a shootout. My dad and I had great seats
so we could watch Davis and his left hook crash on the powerful Beau Jack's chin and ko Beau. Then it happened just after the bell rang in the
1st round, when Davis's left hook crashed on Beau Jack's chin and to our
surprise, Beau tottered for a split second and and then hit Bummy Davis with every punch in the book for the rest of the fight...So there is no way
Buchannan a fine boxer could hit hard enough to hold off the tornado that was Beau Jack...Just look at who Beau Jack had to contend with in the
golden age of the 1940s and compare his era of lightweights with the Lws of Buchanan's times...No contest...cheers.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I side with Burt here and give Beau the nod over 15 competitve rounds.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
Br B. Maybe i can offer some insight on the toughness of Beau Jack;'s chin...In the 1940s there was a neighbor of mine Al [Bummy] Davis,who had the greatest left hook of the lightweight division. An authentic tough guy whose left hook flattened Tony Canzoneri and the marvelous boxer Tippy Larkin amongst others...Bummy threw his left-hook from an orthodox position [left hand in front]. My dad and I saw Al Davis fight the terrific
lightweight Bob Montgomery at MSG. Davis was a 1-8 underdog to lose, but in the very first round Bummy flattened Montgomery with that powerful
left hook and the crowd went wild...Well a few weeks later in a sold out MSG , Al Davis met Beau Jack in a shootout. My dad and I had great seats
so we could watch Davis and his left hook crash on the powerful Beau Jack's chin and ko Beau. Then it happened just after the bell rang in the
1st round, when Davis's left hook crashed on Beau Jack's chin and to our
surprise, Beau tottered for a split second and and then hit Bummy Davis with every punch in the book for the rest of the fight...So there is no way
Buchannan a fine boxer could hit hard enough to hold off the tornado that was Beau Jack...Just look at who Beau Jack had to contend with in the
golden age of the 1940s and compare his era of lightweights with the Lws of Buchanan's times...No contest...cheers.
What a great post thanks burt
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Wasn't Beau Jack the biggest nonheavyweight draw of his era? I seem to remember reading that he was significantly more popular at the box office than even Hank Armstrong or Barney Ross. I've heard he drew tons of sell out crowd even during WWII.

Can you confirm or deny this BB?
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
I wasn't necessarily referring to you Mr. Butt.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #15
Nightcrawler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
Wasn't Beau Jack the biggest nonheavyweight draw of his era? I seem to remember reading that he was significantly more popular at the box office than even Hank Armstrong or Barney Ross. I've heard he drew tons of sell out crowd even during WWII.

Can you confirm or deny this BB?
I believe he set a madison square garden record with 24 straight sell outs. A massive massive who raised absurb amounts of money for the war drive
Nightcrawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum