Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #226
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Re: Dempsey's vaunted run to the Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
It must have been absolutely mad being Dempsey in those days, the pressure to crush whatever guy the wheel out in just a round. Bet the atmosphere was electric.
Yeah like when he fought Brennan, getting booed because he didnt knock him out in the first few rounds imagine if Wlad or somebody fought in those days what the crowd would do to him
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 AM   #227
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
a good result yes but considering it's one of the best wins for what some say is one of the best fighters ever, it's not that impressive
I don't know how high it would rate on a list of Dempsey's best wins. Not very high, I guess. But being the first man to KO Levinsky makes it at least worthy of remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Similar to Louis versus King Levinsky.
Yes.

Though we know that King Levinsky was at least KO'd at least once prior (7 months earlier), though it was unofficially.

BORKED
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #228
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Good, not great.

People got excited when Sam Peter knocked Jeremy Williams cold as a cucumber. No one had done that before. A similar head-turning victory but not a great one.
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily call it a great win. That's semantics though.

Henry Akinwande pretty much destroyed Jeremy Williams years before Peter did. But yeah, the Peter KO was kinda scary.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #229
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily call it a great win. That's semantics though.

Henry Akinwande pretty much destroyed Jeremy Williams years before Peter did. But yeah, the Peter KO was kinda scary.
My point was that Williams got up from the Akinwande stoppage fairly quickly. I think he might have even beat the count. Against Peter he was out cold. And then everyone was on Peter's jock as being the guy who would finally clean out the division of the Eastern Euro robots. Not exactly analogous, but the reaction was similar.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #230
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
My point was that Williams got up from the Akinwande stoppage fairly quickly. I think he might have even beat the count. Against Peter he was out cold. And then everyone was on Peter's jock as being the guy who would finally clean out the division of the Eastern Euro robots. Not exactly analogous, but the reaction was similar.
Yeah, Sam Peter should have done more with his career.

I have no idea what the reaction to Jack Dempsey v Battling Levinsky was though.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #231
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

It's great in that he destroyed a hof fighter in a way noone else did. The flipside of Dempsey being small means he can't be criticised for beating light heavyweight fighters as the weight difference is minimal.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #232
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

What is so hard to understand about Ali not having a stellar build up to his title shot BUT THEN GOING ON to beat ATG and have a awesome career. Compared to Dempsey ALSO not having a solid run up to his title shot and THEN NOT DOING JACK SHIT once he got the title. Those scenerios are worlds apart. We can't credit Dempsey as being some world beater, when in fact, he wasn't a world beater. Some mythical belief on what he could've done if it wasn't for this or that, is just conjecture at its finest with proof at its thinest.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #233
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
What is so hard to understand about Ali not having a stellar build up to his title shot BUT THEN GOING ON to beat ATG and have a awesome career. Compared to Dempsey ALSO not having a solid run up to his title shot and THEN NOT DOING JACK SHIT once he got the title. Those scenerios are worlds apart. We can't credit Dempsey as being some world beater, when in fact, he wasn't a world beater. Some mythical belief on what he could've done if it wasn't for this or that, is just conjecture at its finest with proof at its thinest.
Dempsey defended the title successfully 5 times.
5 times in a 7 year reign is pathetic activity, but still it's more than "JACK SHIT".

If you're going to make comparisons, why exaggerate ?
It's not hard to show that Ali's resume and reigns are better, so why the need to diminish Dempsey's work even further ?
I don't get it.

I think Dempsey KOing Fulton in 1 round alone is a lot more impressive pre-title credentials than what Cassius Clay had going in to the Sonny Liston fight also.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #234
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

I reckon I'd struggle to name 5 guys with a better pre title run all things considered. He certainly wasn't a brilliant champion though.

He barely set himself apart from Wills as it was, going Hollywood whilst Wills continued clearing house was poor form.

Atleast Willard was genuinely perceived as peerless with wills, Fulton and Dempsey competing to be his standout challenger. Dempsey never really set himself apart from the field like that.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #235
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

That's not said with great conviction btw I'm happy to be proved wrong about the view of Jack during Hollywood.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #236
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I reckon I'd struggle to name 5 guys with a better pre title run all things considered. He certainly wasn't a brilliant champion though.

He barely set himself apart from Wills as it was, going Hollywood whilst Wills continued clearing house was poor form.

Atleast Willard was genuinely perceived as peerless with wills, Fulton and Dempsey competing to be his standout challenger. Dempsey never really set himself apart from the field like that.
Are you saying Jess Willard was perceived as being more of a champion than Jack Dempsey was ?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #237
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Are you saying Jess Willard was perceived as being more of a champion than Jack Dempsey was ?
Dare I say it, but by fighting Dempsey, did Willard perhaps prove himself, ahem, more of a man?

That crash you just heard was Burt dropping his omelette on the rug and making an OAP dash for his laptop.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #238
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Careful McGrain.. He's too old to have his emotions toyed with like that... lol
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #239
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Really though, I wish people would just accept that Dempsey was more the product of the media than any other fighter in history. As I stated, if you read some of the articles about him, you would think he could take on Germany all by himself. The exaggeration about his abilities are all there to be seen, and then perpetuated by a select few who keep talking about it. However, when you look at the facts, they can't be denied. His pre title run wasn't stellar.. even good.. His title reign was even worse. THAT is what we are left with, and that doesn't jive with the "Greatest HW to EVER live" "Best I ever saw" blah blah blah
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #240
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
No but whilst champion he was perceived as further above his peers than jack was. Is that not fair to say?

I don't think Willard was in any way greater than Jack. I just think his absence is easier to justify due to his status.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum