Leonard 12 16.67%
Same tier 15 20.83%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #106
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475
Default Re: duran v leonard greatness comparison.

Mag you're a Texan?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #107
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Mag you're a Texan?
Yeah I live in Texas, but originally from California. Live in the Dallas area..
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #108
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=duranimal;14620699]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
He really sells Leonard short with that nonsense. Aside from Benitez, he hadn't taken out any world beaters (as if it didnt prove enough), but putting numerous contenders on his record as quickly as he did looks good on him and gives him stronger case for what he may be, the second greatest welterweight of all-time. He was thoroughly built for the division with the skills and ability to match like very few others.

Then again, he's most interested in discrediting Duran above all else.[/quote]

If MAG was a medical proffesor lecturing students on the evolution & causes of syphilis he'd find a way to include Duran

When you look back at SRL's rise to prominence it's truly remarkable, he was the Golden Boy, so much was expected of him, the pressure was huge, the heights were dizzy & the potential fall abyssal.

He fought near on every month, where the flying **** do you see that today!!! There was absolutly no hiding place for him, all roads led up & the road got steeper & steeper, no place for a feint heart here, he had to be as mentally strong as there could possibly come to navigate that route at that speed, mega pressure on the shoulders of such a young man.

He was the compleat package in the madison ave sense, but to navigate yer way to the top back then in such a short time took collosal mental resolve juxtaposed with the well concealed vicious killer instinct. There was **** all green about SRL once he was in position to challenge Benitez, Angelo Dundee made sure of that!!!

He could have fought Hearns in 78/79 but Dundee ****ed that idea off rapid. Dundee new when SRL was ready for Benitez or Cuevas & in just over 3 years from Olympic Gold you've got the finished polished article with the whole superstar $$$$$$ earning world in front of him.

There was no gimmi's for Leonard on the up, his rise was breathless & expected, he was under the magnifying glass big time & beating Benitez in the manner he did sez it all. Skill/Grit/Brains & a well concealed pychotic will to win.

There were plenty of the old school scribes who though him just a media creation, a phoney, but you get that from all previous incumbant generations. Plenty saw through the Princess Diana fluttering eyelash pouting lips persona hence the dislike of the man at the time by some. But he earned his shot at Benitez & to get there in just over 3 years is incredible, he was indeed the finished article, a Champion indeed. Until he ran into a better one in Montreal

SRL was 1st & foremost, Start 2 Finish a mega $$$$$$$ generating machine & to get those big $$$$ back then you'd better be able to produce the goods. He was done no favours! He became champion because he was good enough to become one & yer don't beat the likes of Benitez by fluke.
I like Duran. I always think about greats beating greats. It is simple to me, yet hard for a great to beat another great. You guys talk like Ray was a veteran in June of 1980 when he first fought Duran. He was still a young fighter going to the top.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #109
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I think I'm giving him credit for what he was able to do before he even fought Duran -- why pretend the guy didnt ripple through the division like the beaming talent he was? Those wins over the 'ordinary' contenders count for sonething MAG. It gives his resume some bulk beyond the big names he has.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #110
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Yeah I live in Texas, but originally from California. Live in the Dallas area..
Ah. Its a, nice city.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #111
DoctorIron
Journeyman

vCash: 500

Roberto Duran was a tuff champion.
a Rich Man's Gatti if you will.

Good power, big heart, decent foot work, semi decent jab and a passable inside game.

I rate Duran on the same tier as that of Frank Bruno, except Duran had more luck.

If Bruno knew how to finish or landed that punch 20 seconds earilier against Prime Tyson. He would have had a Leonard like Victory on his resume as well.

Sugar Ray Leonard on the other hand is God .
DoctorIron is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #112
DoctorIron
Journeyman

As for Duran moving up to MW to beat Barkley.

Times change man. The 90's and current MW Era is much much deeper.

Sure Duran could beat one Dem slugger Barkley. But can he beat Gennady Golevkin if it was GGG that night?

Or Peter Quillien? It's one thing to take shots from Barkley, another to take shots from Golevkin.

If Duran moved up in today's era.. I think he will end up flat on his back.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #113
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIron View Post
Roberto Duran was a tuff champion.
a Rich Man's Gatti if you will.

Good power, big heart, decent foot work, semi decent jab and a passable inside game.

I rate Duran on the same tier as that of Frank Bruno, except Duran had more luck.

If Bruno knew how to finish or landed that punch 20 seconds earilier against Prime Tyson. He would have had a Leonard like Victory on his resume as well.

Sugar Ray Leonard on the other hand is God .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIron View Post
As for Duran moving up to MW to beat Barkley.

Times change man. The 90's and current MW Era is much much deeper.

Sure Duran could beat one Dem slugger Barkley. But can he beat Gennady Golevkin if it was GGG that night?

Or Peter Quillien? It's one thing to take shots from Barkley, another to take shots from Golevkin.

If Duran moved up in today's era.. I think he will end up flat on his back.
This post is outrageous! You spelled tough, 'tuff'. Madness!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #114
DoctorIron
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
They're absolutely on the same tier, so to speak. I still view Duran as the overall greater fighter despite Leonard's resume of opponents beaten is superior, in my opinion. Duran's beaten some truly great opponents and his reign of terror over the lightweight division is the stuff of legends, really.
Re-matched the only man to ever beat him, stopping him within the distance twice in two spectacular performances, the third being an utter masterclass and a maelstrom of intelligent pressure and offense.

Beat the hell out of Ken Buchanan, also. It goes a long way to note his incredible weight-jumping prowess, stepping up to take Hagler the distance, drop Iran Barkley and beat him in a thriller, and batter up-and-comer Davey Moore in a one-sided destruction.

Meanwhile, Leonard cleans house at the welterweight division, defeating such men as Benitez, Hearns, Green, Price, Duran, etc. Moved up a weight class to overcome Ayub Kalule, also. Just a great fighter and a list of who's who in the welterweight division at the time.

I'm sure some will say that Hands of Stone lost to the greatest boxers he ever fought, of course. Overlooking perhaps the greatest win in the Fabulous Four's entire careers over a prime Sugar Ray Leonard, and the fact that almost all of his losses came when he was past his prime fighting in weight divisions he shouldn't be competing in.
You can't be more wrong man.
He wasn't past his prime when he fought Tommy Hearns. Duran made weight prefectly and told the world
'im in the best shape of my life'

He was past his prime in 1989 onwards. Fighters age differently man.

Bernard Hopkins was still eilte fighting Pavlik at age 43.

Now I'm not saying he was still 'prime' against Barkley. No I'm not,but he was definitely still elite. The truth is the Barkley fight open my eyes to his limitations.

Duran can't deal with movement or combination punching. He got a good jab for a tiny guy and he is a tuff inside fighter.. but tuffness just can't get you past the World Class fighters .

Tuffness gets you only so far. Roberto Duran is like Buster Douglas in that they both had one great moment and people forever focus on that moment for the rest of boxing history.

I rate Duran though as a good belt holder and I think he will be a top 5 fighter in today's 147 division.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #115
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I think I'm giving him credit for what he was able to do before he even fought Duran -- why pretend the guy didnt ripple through the division like the beaming talent he was? Those wins over the 'ordinary' contenders count for sonething MAG. It gives his resume some bulk beyond the big names he has.
yeah but if people give fighters a top 10 ATG ranking for the mediocre guys, then where does Virgil Hill rank, who I think is underrated because he lacked the charisma Duran had. But Virgil beat some good guys. Or Hopkins or Jones. Tyson in his heavyweight reign, yet not many guys rank Mike lower than 25.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #116
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesta View Post
A guy like Ray should not be KO'd by a past prime feather fisted former featherweight, even if he was shot.

What he really needed at that stage in his career to validate his legacy was a Pat Lawlor-type fighter to quit against.
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 11:28 PM   #117
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
What he really needed at that stage in his career to validate his legacy was a Pat Lawlor-type fighter to quit against.
Known as No Mas II: I Can Quit You.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #118
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Leave Gennady out of this!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #119
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Leave Gennady out of this!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I want to believe GGG writes KO on his gloves. But I know its a Photoshop.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:20 AM   #120
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

yeah, no. That was actually JeanPaulValley's avatar... McGrain annihilated him in some heated Lennox Lewis debate and I dont think hes been back since.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum