Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 03-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314
Default Pacquiao vs JMM IV survey...

...yeah, yeah, I know this has been discussed to death, but I don't spend that much time in the general, so...

1. What was your prediction going in?

2. Do you view the rivalry as Pac having JMM's number, or JMM having Pac's number?

3. If JMM hadn't landed that shot in the 6th, how would the rest of the fight have played out?

4. Where did you watch?

5. Any interest in seeing a fifth fight?
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681
Default Re: Pacquiao vs JMM IV survey...

1. JMM

2. JMM has Pacquiao's number. In many people's minds, JMM is 3-1 Pacquiao.

3. JMM would have landed it in the 7th

4. Home

5. NO
MVC is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
yOyOyO_26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2355

1. Marquez Decision
2. JMM got Pacs number
3. JMM ko 7
4. BoxingGuru
5. Yes, i think it will look like the 4th though
yOyOyO_26 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict

vCash: 314

JMM by UD.

2. Do you view the rivalry as Pac having JMM's number, or JMM having Pac's number?
Pac is far more popular, and arguably more accomplished...I think you'd have to view it as JMM having his number, like Norton had Ali's. JMM is an itch that Pac just can't scratch. However, one could just as easily view it vice versa.

3. If JMM hadn't landed that shot in the 6th, how would the rest of the fight have played out?
I think JMM would have started fighting smarter, the fight would have slowed down, and Juan would have pulled off a decision win.

4. Where did you watch?
At a friend of a friend's house...bunch of Puerto Ricans.

Not at all.
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Smokin' Joe
~ Dinamita Irlandés ~
East Side Guru

vCash: 1276

1. Juan on points.

2. Juan has Pacquiao's number. 3-1 Juan.

3. I definitely think Juan would have put Pacquiao down (Not out, that's a one in a thousand punch) again at some point in the fight and won a close decision.

4. At home, drunk.

5. No interest in fight 5, but it'll happen for monetary reasons. Would rather see either man fight Rios and/or Bradley.
Smokin' Joe is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

1. What was your prediction going in? Marquez W 12

2. Do you view the rivalry as Pac having JMM's number, or JMM having Pac's number? Marquez having Pacquiao's number styli, but Pacquiao still able to defeat him via knockdowns or outworking him.

3. If JMM hadn't landed that shot in the 6th, how would the rest of the fight have played out? Pacquiao stops him.

4. Where did you watch? At home in Florida.

5. Any interest in seeing a fifth fight? Very much.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 162

Prediction: Pacquiao SD in a fight JMM deserved

Who has whose number? Clearly, JMM has Pac's number. No other way to view their rivalry.

If JMM didn't land that KO shot, he would have landed it sometime soon after.

Watched it at home.

I'd rather they both retired. I'd rather they each fought Tim Bradley. But a fifth fight would be the next most desired fight for each of them.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
ptm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

1. What was your prediction going in? Pac by TKO

JMM had Pacs number but Pac still had a good chance to beat him as well.

Toss up. He coulda landed it later or Pac coulda landed more shots & wore him down. I had Pac up 4-2. If no one else got knocked down or KO'd, then I think Pac woulda got a clear Dec. (if the fight played out like the first 5.9 rounds.

4. Where did you watch?

I was there.
Got the full brunt of the emotion of the moment.
Right after, Juans fans rubbed it in thoroughly and rudely but it's all good, that was alot of pent up emotion just waiting to explode and when it did, wow, I gotta say it was an unbelievable amount of energy to feel.
I give JMM full respect for all the fights.

Very interested. imo It's still the biggest fight to be made in Boxing right now. I'd go again in a heartbeat and will still root Pac on. Even though I would favor Juan to win in this one.
ptm is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Marquez did'nt show up to have the fight go to the cards so its kill or be killed.
Marquez was zoned in to land thunder and he likely would have landed something big down the line had it not happened in the 6th.

Boxing politics forced Marquez' hand and that type of a gameplan by Marquez gives Pacquiao the only chance to be competitive round by round in the fight.

If there was any doubt by anyone who the better fighter is, Marquez feeling forced to fight Pacquiao's fight, knocks him out at his own game!
divac is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

i chose manny by knockout, i knew it wasnt going the distance, picked juan to win the 3rd fight, but this forth fight i knew somebody was getting kod, an juan pulled itt off
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 887

1. What was your prediction going in? Marquez by decision. I didn't see a knockout by either Marquez or Pacquiao in a fight at 147 happening.

2. Do you view the rivalry as Pac having JMM's number, or JMM having Pac's number? I think Marquez has done better over the 4 fights.

3. If JMM hadn't landed that shot in the 6th, how would the rest of the fight have played out? He would have weathered the storm and started to find his counters, on the way to a clear decision.

4. Where did you watch? My bedroom.

5. Any interest in seeing a fifth fight? No, Marquez won the fight in such a clear manner. Yea it might have been close, but with a knockout like that, and at that point in the fight. It's clear who the better boxer is.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtony80 View Post
...yeah, yeah, I know this has been discussed to death, but I don't spend that much time in the general, so...

4. Where did you watch?

1. Another boxing clinic by JMM (either he gets robbed again or finally gets the nod) -OR- JMM finally slows down with age and Pac knocks him out.

2. JMM regularly calls Pac on the phone and Manny answers, "Hi, Daddy."

3. JMM would still win. I knew this because he survived Pac's onslaught. If MP can't finish a wounded JMM then Pac himself is going to get finished. Kill or be killed was the name of the game.

4. Streamed it on my computer. And no, I don't regret it, just like I don't regret making predictions before a fight. Based on circumstances it was the perfect call at the time. If I knew or had a strong feeling it was going to be an epic brawl w/o controversy I would have paid for it.

5. Few months ago I would have said no. Yesterday I said yes. Today I'm indifferent. I would like to see JMM fight someone like Rios or Bradley. But if it's Pac again I guess I wouldn't mind seeing another war. Loser should definitely RETIRE.
gyll is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

1. I thought Marquez would win going in, but I knew anything could happen.

2. I think it's obvious Marquez has Manny's.

3. You can't take one segment out of the fight and pretend it never happened. The universe is a chain of events with all of the links depending on each other.

4. Watched it in a bar, great atmosphere.

5. No. There are better fights to make, and if Manny wants to recover his career for a final stretch, he shouldn't fight Marquez. It would probably just look like the 3rd fight, with a cautious Manny too nervous to create openings while Marquez just outboxes him with leads and counters.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #14
Beenie
Evolve already!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1389

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtony80 View Post

Pac by stoppage

Quote:
JMM has Pac's number (though I score the series 3-1 Pac)

Quote:
Although the momentum was with Pac, it was liable to shift at any point which has been the case anytime these two have been pitted against one another - so it's awfully difficult to say how things would have concluded.

Quote:
4. Where did you watch?
At my pop's house with some fam and friends.

Quote:
Not really, at least not an immediate rematch. I'd like to see each guy matched against non tuneups in their next bouts respectfully and possibly face each other down the road if the clamor calls for it again.
Beenie is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 1001

Marquez to win it by decision

I view it as two elite p4p monsters the same size being eachothers perfect foil for close fights. Marquez's IQ and skill matching prime Pacs freak ability and ferociousness.

Hmmm.... I think Pac would have won rounds until the 8th or 9th until JMM catches him with another bomb of a right hand and puts Pac down again, one that he gets up from (much like the first KD). I would then say JMM wins the rest of the rounds but not sure how he holds up considering he was bleeding immensly.

4. Where did you watch?
Friends house

Not really, given the other fights they both could be in. I was fairly sure JMM was gonna win this fight, because, when you have two guys who are evenly matched in their prime like Pac and JMM were, one because of his physical ability and the other because of his skill and IQ, as they both age, the guy who relies on being a physical freak of nature will slowly slip in competetiveness against his nemesis, the one that relies on his skills. Because while the skills remain, the raw physical talent that had them even begins to fade at a higher pace then does the skill.... so JMM, imo, will start to dominate more and more in these matchups as his skills, counterpunching, and IQ begin to take over where Pac was once able to keep even with when he was in his prime.

I think people put too much stock in this fight (as great a fight as it was)

We saw these two fight close to their primes, and that was their 2nd fight. Thats all I need to see how evenly matched these two are.

This fight was an important chapter of their rivalry, but doesnt tell the whole story. (I think of it as a slightly different, less extreme version of Jones vs Hopkins rivalry, if that makes sense. Skills will eventually overcome talent as that talent starts to fade)

And would a 5th fight be 'fun'? Yes of course.

But

* Pac needs to retire soon and doesnt need the possible multiple KD fight Marquez would bring him. People simply dont realise how many miles Pac has on him. If he can exit the sport without taking another jarring head shot that puts him down for a knockdown, thats what he needs to do. I have no desire to see him back in with Marquez in a fight that in my eyes he will almost certainly lose, where every big shot from Marquez has me hoping its not putting Pac down again.

The man needs to start thinking about his health now. That is no joke.

* For Marquez. As fun a fight as Pac would be for him, fights with
- Matthysse
- Rios
- Garcia
- Broner

are all awesome, fun fights, that I think would have the fans excited.

And are all fights that mean more to me right now, then would a 5th fight with Pac.

-----

Anyways, all just imo.

Nice thread
kirk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum