Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Did Arguello really spark Legra in the 1st round?/Did Marcel cheat Arguello?

Or is his then trainer getting things a bit muddled?

From the posthumous Arguello biography;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved Warrior:The Rise And Fall Of Alexis Arguello
"Against Jose Legra, Alexis hit him so hard in the second round that the guy collapses, and he bounced completely off the canvas" said Varela.
Do we have a report that Arguello stopped Legra in the 1st? Apologies but I didn't renew my newspaperarchive subscription this year. I've got footage of bouts listed as 'KO' before and found them to sometimes be erroneously listed, with the fighter actually being pulled out between rounds.

By the way the same guy is also quoted later on as saying Marcel didn't make the weight for his defence against Alexis...but from what I can gather he wasn't there and is telling it second hand. EDIT: Apparently he was in Panama as he threw Alexis' trainer out in the mid-rounds and took over...billy bullshit perhaps?? HOWEVER Arguello weighing in at 122 has always seemed a bit suspect to me, and with Marcel fighting at super feather around this time and this being his last fight....where the scales a bit dodge? If Marcel was 129-130 that would make Arguello 126 or so, which seems plausible actually.

The book is very biased from what I've read, but it does say that Marcel quit boxing due to his Mum asking him to. Take it with a pinch of salt but it's as plausible an explanation as we've heard, she musta' just wanted to see his 5'7 ass give basketball another shot
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475
Default Re: Did Arguello really spark Legra in the 1st round?/Did Marcel cheat Arguello?

I don't know. He was 124 a few fights later. But that's conceivable that they might do something like that. That's by Christian Giudice right? Its odd he would be so biased seeing as how even handed he was with Duran. I think he learned Spanish just too.do these bios so any information would be presumably 1st hand if not necessarily accurate. And I think if you retire before the bell it counts as a KO for the previous round. Although everything I've seen lists that as KO 1 so...
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Default Re: Did Arguello really spark Legra in the 1st round?/Did Marcel cheat Arguello?

A few interesting (can't see footnotes listed so again, take 'em with as much as you want) tidbits on Marcel;

Was offered either Olivares as a mando', or a rematch with Spider Nemoto for $150,000 in Japan to come out of retirement. Dunno' where this has come from but Nemoto said after their first fight, the only time he was stopped I think, can't be arsed to check his boxrec page even though I'm on the page about his fight with Marcel

""I felt that his punches were very powerful, the hardest I ever felt. I felt like I was fighting a heavyweight." -Shig Nemoto (from Boxrec, don't remember this being fleshed out before would like it if the person that did it had listed the f'n source!)

Anyway, shows lora that Marcel was also Naz-esque in his ability to crush

Marcel's under performing in the middle rounds was an attempt by him to throw the fight, something he refutes. A non-starter this, you can see from the fight this man was never trying to throw the fight, not by getting stopped or by losing on the cards.

BORKED

Anyway, Nemoto did later go the 15 with Pedroza, sorry it skits out towards the end

BORKED

The legend rayrobinson333 also came up with a few fights of Nemoto on youtube, be sure to check 'em out if you care to.

Marcel's trainer, Ramon Dossman, was hired as Arguello's trainer for the few bouts leading up to Olivares.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I don't know. He was 124 a few fights later. But that's conceivable that they might do something like that. That's by Christian Giudice right? Its odd he would be so biased seeing as how even handed he was with Duran. I think he learned Spanish just too.do these bios so any information would be presumably 1st hand if not necessarily accurate. And I think if you retire before the bell it counts as a KO for the previous round. Although everything I've seen lists that as KO 1 so...
Whoa! If it is him maybe I've just a section that was biased and the whole thing might be very even handed. Just that the account of the Marcel fight seemed to keep dropping insurmountable barriers in front of Alexis and had Marcel putting his feet up with a cup of tea...I thought, oh, it's one of those but it's not shocking, will probably get it. You know the characters that crop up in boxing books

'I heard about it from Louie, he was with the fighter...he's down there, covered in snow and piss and everybody but him is allowed to warm their hands in the fire. The Champ was floating past in a toasty blimp wearing a dressing gown.'

That ex-trainer came across a bit like that.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

What's all this borked nonsense about?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

You on a phone? Shit outta' luck mush.

And LittleRed ever hear of Olivares, around the time of the Arguello fight, being on everyone's list of greatest featherweights? First I've ever heard anyone mention it.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
salsanchezfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Is that...............is that the FULL Marcel-Arguello fight??
salsanchezfan is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsanchezfan View Post
Is that...............is that the FULL Marcel-Arguello fight??
There might be a round missing, can't remember, but pretty sure that's everything out there of it
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #9
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post

And LittleRed ever hear of Olivares, around the time of the Arguello fight, being on everyone's list of greatest featherweights? First I've ever heard anyone mention it.
Yeah I am on my phone, how can ya tell
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

'Cause since the server upgrade I get BORKED more often than not when viewing on my phone.

Only jokin', I'm looking over your shoulder.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Delete misread
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:

****ed if I have. Maybe he meant bantamweights? Or maybe potentially?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Or is his then trainer getting things a bit muddled?

From the posthumous Arguello biography;

Do we have a report that Arguello stopped Legra in the 1st? Apologies but I didn't renew my newspaperarchive subscription this year. I've got footage of bouts listed as 'KO' before and found them to sometimes be erroneously listed, with the fighter actually being pulled out between rounds.

By the way the same guy is also quoted later on as saying Marcel didn't make the weight for his defence against Alexis...but from what I can gather he wasn't there and is telling it second hand. EDIT: Apparently he was in Panama as he threw Alexis' trainer out in the mid-rounds and took over...billy bullshit perhaps?? HOWEVER Arguello weighing in at 122 has always seemed a bit suspect to me, and with Marcel fighting at super feather around this time and this being his last fight....where the scales a bit dodge? If Marcel was 129-130 that would make Arguello 126 or so, which seems plausible actually.

The book is very biased from what I've read, but it does say that Marcel quit boxing due to his Mum asking him to. Take it with a pinch of salt but it's as plausible an explanation as we've heard, she musta' just wanted to see his 5'7 ass give basketball another shot
at the beginninbg of the second the commentator says that Marcel weighed in at 125 and 3 quarters and Alexis 122 and 3 quarters.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
What's all this borked nonsense about?

A couple days ago - I was thinking the same thing.

the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
at the beginninbg of the second the commentator says that Marcel weighed in at 125 and 3 quarters and Alexis 122 and 3 quarters.
Yeah, but those were the official weights. If Marcel was weighing a bit over it would make sense if it was about 4lbs.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum