Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
badlefthook84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default How do you see Martinez-Golovkin going.

I think Golovkin beats him. Either way, he'll decision him or knock him out. Im glad in one way that even though he battered Rosado he didn't knock him out. Every Golovkin thread on here is about his power and i think the americans in particular get hung up on it. He is very skillfull, his footwork, never off balance, finds his range with ease. As for JCCJ, Golovkin would annihilate him..straight in front of him. Oh and Max Kellerman is a ****ing clown, talk about tact!
badlefthook84 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Default Re: How do you see Martinez-Golovkin going.

Golovkin looked a little ponderous at times and was massively favoured by Rosado waiting so much. I think GGG would make for a fun fight, but I wonder how he'd deal with a fighter who can move and engage as fluidly as Martinez does. I see Sergio pulling out a close one.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000

I'll wait and see how Martinez looks against Murray but if he's still near to his best I'd narrowly favour him over GGG. However I can't see the fight happening. What chances do people give GGG ever managing to secure a fight against a top middle? They had to bring in a LM last night who was decent and brave but completely out gunned!
Geale ran like the wind towards Mundine and then he'll probably take on the winner of Sturm-Soliman next. Quillin? Macklin or Chavez Jr?
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
KidJackal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2323

Depends how Martinez looks against Murray and how the injury affects him. If he's not at his best I think Golovkin takes him out late on, if he is at his best I see it being close on points with Martinez more likely to win. Golovkin is a beast in my eyes and i feel Martinez is the only middleweight who can stop him. He's got it all. Power, ring general ship, cuts off the ring well, hes no slouch by any means he is quite quick, doesn't panic and patiently breaks down his opponent. Any middleweight other than Martinez is getting eaten up by Golovkin imo.
KidJackal is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

I think we are getting a little carried away by Golovkin. He's not beaten anyone spectacular in the ring, and just because people are avoiding him doesn't give him extra credit. Most of his rep comes from sparring stories.

But I love watching him fight and I really do hope he's everything he could be.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJackal View Post
Depends how Martinez looks against Murray and how the injury affects him. If he's not at his best I think Golovkin takes him out late on, if he is at his best I see it being close on points with Martinez more likely to win. Golovkin is a beast in my eyes and i feel Martinez is the only middleweight who can stop him. He's got it all. Power, ring general ship, cuts off the ring well, hes no slouch by any means he is quite quick, doesn't panic and patiently breaks down his opponent. Any middleweight other than Martinez is getting eaten up by Golovkin imo.
Agree with this except to say I think hed eat Martinez up also.Admired Rosado when he said hed fight Golovkin again!!Cant see any middle giving him an argument,except Quillin.Might have to go up and fight Ward,who seems to be running out at his own weight.
TED 822 is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
KidJackal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by TED 822 View Post
Agree with this except to say I think hed eat Martinez up also.Admired Rosado when he said hed fight Golovkin again!!Cant see any middle giving him an argument,except Quillin.Might have to go up and fight Ward,who seems to be running out at his own weight.
I think it's a bit much to say he'd eat up ***y Serg at this point, he's proven elite. Golovkin looks the part and is definitely top end of world class in my eyes, I don't know how he'd deal with being in there with someone as proven as Martinez.
KidJackal is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
badlefthook84
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It's going to take a very good fighter to beat him in my opinion. Whoever beats him is going to need exceptional and clever footwork. Golovkin will beat runners all day, he knows how to close distance and his balance is that good that when he steps up close and the other guy leads first, he can move the head and shoulders back ever so slightly whilst still having his feet planted and set to punch, very similar to Tszyu.. Throws that left hook with some menace too, actually turns his wrist into it.
badlefthook84 is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I'd take Golovkin, no issue. It'd be a very tough fight, Martinez poses him some awkward stylistic problems, but at the same time Golovkin causes Sergio a lot of problems too. Sergio gives Gennady movement, speed, unorthodoxy he's never seen. I could see Golovkin eating some punches big time but I think he's schooled enough not to get caught square like PWil. Then you gotta look at the fact Golovkin is a ridiculously bad guy to give impetus too. He's like Cotto at 140 was, he was a guy you didn't want to give ground too, you don't want to give him confidence in a fight because he likes to see a guy going backwards and on the ropes, thats when he gets leverage into shots.

I just think Martinez ain't superman, if there is one guy where he could be broken down and look his age at last, its against someone who can take a punch, give a better one, and is relentless but not reckless. Reckless ain't the way, thats how you get sparked out by Martinez's sneaky power, but Golovkin isn't a huge risk taker.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
pathmanc1986
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

If Golovkin can take the sting of Martinez' punches I think Golovkin beats him. Martinez imo doesnt have the boxing fundamentals to not take GGG's jab every so often and I see Golovkin taking him apart with the shorter, more text book punches.

To temper the Golovkin hype however, I think last night showed me that the talk of Golovkin going up against Ward and walking through him is nonsense. Ward would win a
pretty wide decision, albeit in a very boring fight.

Golovkin. Great to watch of course and hopefully over the next 2/3 years maybe we could see Golovkin, Chavez if he doesnt outgrow the weight, Barker, Macklin, Geale, Lee, Murray, Angulo, maybe Canelo Alvarez, Quillen and the random Pirog fight each other regularly. Shaping into a good division.
pathmanc1986 is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathmanc1986 View Post
If Golovkin can take the sting of Martinez' punches I think Golovkin beats him. Martinez imo doesnt have the boxing fundamentals to not take GGG's jab every so often and I see Golovkin taking him apart with the shorter, more text book punches.

To temper the Golovkin hype however, I think last night showed me that the talk of Golovkin going up against Ward and walking through him is nonsense. Ward would win a
pretty wide decision, albeit in a very boring fight.

Golovkin. Great to watch of course and hopefully over the next 2/3 years maybe we could see Golovkin, Chavez if he doesnt outgrow the weight, Barker, Macklin, Geale, Lee, Murray, Angulo, maybe Canelo Alvarez, Quillen and the random Pirog fight each other regularly. Shaping into a good division.
It's an interesting fight, I think. Martinez's speed and movement, plus the way he's able to beat up his opponents - he slices them to pieces - means he'll provide big problems for Golovkin. GGG benefited from Rosado's reluctance to open up too much. He could stalk without paying for it, and land shots while Rosado waited for counter opportunities.

But, as you say above Ero, that jab is a great tool. And one thing GGG has is consistency and patience. He'll gladly let Sergio have the early rounds just to be in position for the ***y one's mid-fight lull.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #12
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Golovkin presses well, stays in punching position. Is sharp on feet when he needs to be. Tough and punches hard, Throws good set up punches, has variety which will trouble most fighters.

He said he doesn't like movers, i could see that last night. He just likes sparking guys . He talks about lucky punch all time . But he knows what to do with movers.

Martinez would have success, Golovkin would take shots but give them back. Martinez can be hit his defence is his feet and offense. So can Golovkin can punch and so can Martinez. Different types of power.

Facinating fight. I wouldn't read alot into last night Rosado boxed well but also didn't give much openings for GGG to land his ''lucky punch''.

Golovkin would cut down Martinez Movement, I think he'd win in a war. Late stoppage. Pace of the fight would suit Golovkin who likes to set after his man from get go.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412

Martinez UD hes too awkward
As soon as Golovkin tries to close the gap Martinez will clinch or try and spin off
the whole time Golovkin is not close Martinez will be throwin jabs and one two's
Martinez's stamina is dodgy so i could see Golovkin hurtin him late
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
boxzone
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

GGG maybe is not as techincal to fight one of the best boxers IMO to ever existed. He defiantly has a chance with his power don't get me wrong but as previous have said here he has not been in with noone special to be honest. Whether thats his fault or his own then thats tough to be honest. Lets be honest if he could draw a name in the top quality boxers we would see if he is as good as people make out.

I think JCCjr fight would be a fantastic fight for both fighters which GGG wins to be honest as JCCjr does not do enough and is very lazy. He lets rounds slip by due to his lazy style.
boxzone is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
pong
Belt holder
ESB Addict

best fight to be made at mw. martinez would be faster,more unorthodox and hit harder then anyone GGG has fought. GGG would have some success while he stalks martinez but his non existent head movement allows sergio to catch him cleanly with straight backhands snapping his head back before spinning out and moving. sergio wins a close decision, really depends when this fight is made sergio is getting older and says he has only 3 fights left so we mightened ever get this fight
pong is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum