Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Thoughts on MSG Bill

A decent show, set a nice bench mark for the rest of the year IMO.

The first fight:

Martinez vs Burgos: Burgos won 118-110 on my card, Felt he beat Martinez up at long range, mid range and short. Martinez didn't have any major success and is always there to be taken to body. Burgos abliged and worked him over. But Burgos was impressive bar a few sloppy rounds he managed the fight well. Was the general, showed some fine offensive variety as well as defensive smarts. He looked the champion and never looked in any bother.

He fought to a smart plan, kept fight centre ring early and let his punches go and bullied the bully that is Martinez. For me there's no way Martinez even warranted a draw there last night. I hope there's a immediate rematch but all in all Burgos is a very class operator and i hope will get the world title he's deserves. Martinez is there for the taking, won't be a long reign unless he gets more of those decisions..

Golovkin vs Rosado: I was actually impressed by Rosado's defensive boxing. He stayed calm, troubled a few times but showed himself as a capable learning fighter who can come again. Didn't show much in terms of attack but he was gusty and hung in there. GGG did what he had to do, just kept the pressure on and busted the lad up. Golovkin doesn't like movers he said this after a sparring session with Tony Harrison. That's something he will have to come to terms with. He's a smart fighter for all the lack of head movement,Ward was right he's subtle defensively. Stays in position, sharp on feet and uses the lead hand to blind fighters as they attack if in transition.

Thought Billy Briscoe was sheer class, like that dude. A real Philly guy learning the ropes. That is a guy you want in your corner, cares for his fighter and stopped his boy getting badly hurt. Father Rosado take note! .

Salido vs Garcia: The Garcia's i didn't like the ending, was hoping Mikey would show us a bit more in the deeper waters. Salido was landing a little more but i saw what Robert was doing he saw chance to get Mikey to scorecard and gain his first world title. Let's be honest it won't be Mikey's last.

The plan was class, Mikey showed a little bit of everything. Salido never recovered from first knockdown IMO. He was hurt, he couldn't settle and when he did settle down he was 10 points down on the card. Garcia was razor sharp, and Robert gave good advice. He's going to be around a while that kid. Wasn't sure of him, but now i am! .

Oh and Andre Ward. Likes sound of his own voice and opinions but must say very impressive performance on the mic IMO.

What's your thoughts?. And where do these guys go next.

Back off to watch Chelsea vs Arsenal. Please don't let em back into it!!.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Thoughts on MSG Bill

Watching the Burgos-Martinez fight at the moment. One of Hasegawas better scalps.
GGG looked decent but I despair of him ever getting a meaningful opponent.
Garcia looked great, lovely footwork, balance, accuracy and power. Aesthetically he's a pleasure to watch.

Ward seemed at home as a commentator. If the injury ****s his career up then this is a good back up gig.

A side note from a different bill, Gabriel Campillo looked like an old man in getting ko'd in 3 rounds by the Russian Kovalov. Legs looked totally stiff. Probably should call it a day.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Damn i didn't know the result from last night, was worried for him TBH.

Curtis Stevens! What a way to come back .
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Watching the Burgos-Martinez fight at the moment. One of Hasegawas better scalps.
GGG looked decent but I despair of him ever getting a meaningful opponent.
Garcia looked great, lovely footwork, balance, accuracy and power. Aesthetically he's a pleasure to watch.

Ward seemed at home as a commentator. If the injury ****s his career up then this is a good back up gig.

A side note from a different bill, Gabriel Campillo looked like an old man in getting ko'd in 3 rounds by the Russian Kovalov. Legs looked totally stiff. Probably should call it a day.
They were saying he only got into the US (from Spain) three days before the fight.

That said, Kovalev was impressive. Did what he had to do, definitely one to watch out for at LHW. Rangy, aggressive fighter. Really good at cutting the ring off.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
Damn i didn't know the result from last night, was worried for him TBH.

Curtis Stevens! What a way to come back .
Sorry to spoiler you mate!

The Russian is a welcome addition to the LH scene and definitely one to watch. But Campillo did look awfull in there. Shuffling about like a pensioner.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris View Post
Sorry to spoiler you mate!

The Russian is a welcome addition to the LH scene and definitely one to watch. But Campillo did look awfull in there. Shuffling about like a pensioner.
It cool glad i didn't watch now, Sounds like the lads very promising. I did see Campillo in dressing room and he looked battle worn. But fair play to the Russian got the job done.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

**** me Burgos-Martinez was a bad, bad robbery! I had it 10-2 Burgos and the closest you could possibly have it is 8-4. Surprised there hasn't been more bitching about it.

And the ref for Stevens-Ayala nearly got Ayala killed.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Yeah i had it 10-2. Burgos seemed fine in changing rooms. Odd really it was a major robbery IMHO.

Yeah Ayala was done from first KD, Should of waved it off.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

I can't believe there hasn't been more fuss made of the Burgos-Martinez decision, it was a real shocker IMHO. I've seen closer fights get a lot more criticism.

Garica did great, Salido was just never in it.

Ward impressed me as well, talks a bit too much but still a great first (?) nights commentary. Very knowledgable on the technical side of things.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

On Burgos/Martinez - there were some shocking cards from journos on twitter. I saw a number of even cards or Burgos just nicking it by a round or so.

Maybe the lack of coverage is because it was the first fight on a three fight show. Most of the talk has been about Golovkin. Happens with PPV undercards as well. Dodgy decisions in the earlier fights are quickly forgotten as the main event dominates the news agenda.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Yeah maybe Ish. If it was the one big fight of the weekend then maybe it would have gotten more coverage. Awful cards though, Burgos couldn't miss with that left to the body.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

Martinez got a questionable decision on the Pac/Marquez undercard as well. Wasn't anywhere near as bad as this one but he should have lost then as well. That didn't get much press as well.

Burgos' promoters have called for a rematch and hopefully he gets one.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

You think its just lazy scoring for coming forward?
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Haven't seen Garcia-Salido yet, looking forward to watching it tomorrow. Mikey is going to be a star I'm sure
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

You could maybe make that case for the Beltran fight but not against Burgos. Even the most inexperienced of judges should have been able to see that he kept getting tagged on his way in and hardly landed anything in return. The clean, effective punching was only coming from one fighter and that definitely wasn't Martinez.

Without wanting to going down the conspiracy theorist route Martinez was the Top Rank promoted, Puerto Rican fighting in New York. Burgos doesn't have a major promoter.
ishy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum