Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #46
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Roy Jones Jr in talks with Steve Collins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind Reader View Post
Collins' ring walk would be epic.. "In the air tonight" would be a fitting song.
Ha!
Loudon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #47
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

general zod,

Quote:
There was an interview that Jones gave before the Calzaghe fight (been searching for ages but I can't find it anymore), where Jones himself would admit that he had no intention of fighting Collins because he called him out in the ring instead of taking time out and asking him nicely
I don't think he ever really wanted to fight him either. But why would he have given Levin the green light to set everything up?

Quote:
Murad has always been a scumbag.
I've heard all sorts about Murad over the years. It's the same with King. They can make fighters a lot of money, but they can rob them too, as your links have proven. He may have been skimming off the top, and he may not have. But Roy thought it was good business bringing him in. He got Roy the Ruiz fight and made him a lot of money.

Quote:
Murad's reason for why the Tyson fight fell through makes no sense and is at complete odds with Tyson's account.
I've heard two accounts from Murad, and one from Shelly Finkle many moons ago, saying that a contractual dispute with Showtime prevented it. The only thing I've heard from Mike, was something about King being involved.

Quote:
He tried to put that Tarver fight off for as long as he could. Tarver was forced to go to the WBC to force Jones to give him a rematch
I know he did, and my opinion is, he did it to get under his skin. If Tarver had've beaten Harding, Roy would have fought him. Harding won, and Roy fought Harding. If he'd have been that reluctant to face Tarver, he wouldn't have lost all of that weight to go back in 2003, and he wouldn't have fought him in a rematch. If he'd have been that desperate not to fight him, he wouldn't have.

Quote:
Jones abused his HBO contract and forced them to buy a lot of fights they just did not want. It's the reason why they have now completely changed there contracts. If you just fight mandos then they drop your purse.
You could say that he abused his contract a little, but the fact remains, he was willing to fight DM and a rematch with Hopkins, and he also fought relevant fights against good fighters. I don't have to list them all, you know who they were. He fought on HBO over 20 times. So I agree, but he wasn't reluctant to just fight nobodies. He certainly didn't abuse his entire contract.

Quote:
Levin did not just one day decide to up and leave. It was a string of things over the years that forced him to do that. He said himself it got to the point where Jones openly saw him as his enemy. What else did Jones hope to achieve except pushing Levin out?
Like I say, people make mistakes in life. Levin had every right to walk away. You're right, he did push him out. But that's how Roy felt at the time. I'm not trying to excuse his actions. What I'm saying is, I don't think Roy intentionally wanted to upset him. He just did what he thought was right at the time, like when he brought Murad on board. I would think that Roy has a lot of regrets when he looks back over his career.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #48
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Part 2.

Quote:
At the end of the day its not always about belts

Collins was also ranked by the Ring, something which cannot be said for a lot of Jones' smw title defenses. By mid 96 Toney would state that HBo were unhappy with Jones's opponents.
I agree, but Roy only had about 6 fights at the weight. There's no way he could have unified the division. When that became apparent he moved up. It doesn't matter if Collins was ranked high by the ring. What would Roy have gained? You can bet your life, had Roy beaten him, he wouldn't have got a lot of credit. I admire Collins for chasing Roy. But he had no major title, and didn't bring in any money. He was famous in Britain for beating Eubank and Benn, but I don't believe he was big in the U.S. They respected him, and they'd seen him when he was young against Reggie etc, but he wasn't a big name, and there was no real demand for the fight.

Quote:
Toney also did not want to deal with King, but he had to to make the Jackson fight happen. It was agreed upon, before HBO decided to kill it.

Whitaker was in the same boat when he wanted to fight Chavez. The same goes for Lewis who wanted to unify with Holyfield.

This is boxing at some point have to deal with people you don't like.
I'm sure you could give me a hundred examples, but they didn't want to deal with him back then. Roy listened to them when he was younger. As he got older, he broke away from Stan as we've discussed, and he brought Murad on board and dealt with King when he was older. We know he's dealt with Don a few times, but he did so cautiously.

I absolutely love these debates, and it's great debating with an extremely intelligent person such as yourself, who knows a hell of a lot about the sport. But sometimes you're too harsh on Roy. You know I'm a huge fan, but I do try and be objective. He's made many mistakes, and he's avoided certain fighters, but again, you're too harsh at times.

When he went against Stan, you said it was a slap in the face. You also said that he drove him out, by bringing in Murad etc. But when I say Stan and Fred didn't want to deal with Don, which is a fact, you then give the examples above, implying that he maybe should have gone against their wishes. You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
The only person who claims that is Jones. The same Jones who has now given us three contradicting stories for why the fight could not happen
I've heard all the accounts. But we know that the Levin's didn't want to deal with King.

Quote:
Maybe and maybe not.
There have been plenty of fights made where King got 1 or no options on the winner. Lewis-Holyfield comes to mind.
I'm sure there's other examples too. But I'm also sure that there's examples where he did.

Quote:
Not really true.

He was offered the Hill fight after McCallum and turned it down giving a string of excuses. He only took that fight when Hill was past prime and coming off a loss.
Again I think you're being harsh.

After McCallum, he fought Montell Griffin in March 1997. According to your links that you provided last week regarding Collins chasing Roy, Roy said he was looking to fight Virgil afterwards. The comment was made whilst preparing for Griffin. Now we know what happened when he fought Griffin. I don't know what went through his mind, but he hit Griffin while he was down and got disqualified. Now after the disqualification, the only thing on Roy's mind was a rematch.

While Roy was preparing for the rematch, Hill fought DM. He lost on a points decision. So if he hadn't have been stupid against Griffin in the first fight, he was open to fighting Hill. But you're saying that he had no intention of fighting him, until he lost?

When was Hill past prime? He may have been past his best, but just because DM beat him on points, it doesn't mean he was past his best or shot etc. Was he past his best against Maske before he lost to DM? He lost to DM on points, and then Roy destroyed him in 4 rounds. Nobody can say that wasn't a very good win, just because he lost to DM on points in his previous fight.

You say that Roy turned down Hill after McCallum? What if Roy had fought Hill early in 97, instead of Griffin? Would you have said he'd have been past his best at that point?

Do you think he was past his best before DM?

Or do you think he was past his best because DM beat him?

Do you think a younger version of Hill would have beaten DM?

Was there a significant difference between the version of Hill that Roy turned down early in 1997, to the one he actually fought in April 98? He'd only had the one fight in between.

You can't say that Roy waited for him to lose before agreeing to fight him, when he'd got the rematch with Griffin lined up.

Do you think then, if Hill had've beaten DM, Roy wouldn't have been willing to face him?

We know that Roy was willing to fight DM.

Quote:
Refused to give Rochigiani his more than deserved shot
True. I've heard him say that he didn't like his style, and it would have made for a bad fight. Do you think hat Roy feared him in anyway?

Quote:
Refused to give Toney a rematch even though HBO wanted it and stubbornly refused to fight Nunn. He also turned down the Guthrie fight.
Why would he have wanted a rematch with Toney? He'd beaten him when he was undefeated at 26, in embarrassing fashion.

I don't believe Toney really wanted a rematch. His chance to mention a rematch was after their first fight. He never said he'd like to meet Roy again somewhere down the line.

I've heard him say he'd take one in interviews, but I think that was just his pride talking. When asked if he'd take it, he said yeah, but really what was he going to say? He was never going to say he couldn't beat him etc. I never saw him really push for one.

When did HBO want it?

We've discussed Nunn many times.

He may have turned down Guthrie, but it's not like it's a glaring omission from his resume. It's not as though he was beating elite level guys. Roy's fought fighters better than him.

Great debate.

Last edited by Loudon; 02-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #49
shadow111
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Isn't it funny that people are criticizing Roy for not taking certain fights via hindsight? Sure, looking back at it a Dariusz Michalczewski vs Roy Jones fight would have been amazing and probably should have happened. Or even a RJJ vs Steve Collins fight in 1997.

But it's not as if boxers can see into the future. Many of us also wonder what would have happened had Roy stayed at Heavyweight in 2003. How about Lennox Lewis? Could the Roy that beat John Ruiz have have beaten the Lennox Lewis that fought Vitali Klitschko? I think most people would say that would probably be a toss up fight. (considering Roy was naturally a smaller guy then Lewis, but still had speed and power at HW) had he not drained himself to go back down to Heavyweight, could he have beaten Lewis or either Klitschko? That's a whole debate in it of itself.

But lets think about Mayweather for a second when comparing him to Roy Jones in his prime.

Pacquiao is clearly past his prime now. just look at videos of his fights in 2008 compared to his fight against Marquez in 2012. He doesn't have the same physique he had in 2008. His body looks older, he's lost that half step he had. whether it was PEDs or whether he was just younger and more focused, when Pacquiao was at his peak (around 2008-2009), everyone wanted to see Mayweather vs Pacquiao. And the fact is it didn't happen.

Did Mayweather duck Pacquiao any more then Roy Jones "ducked" Steve Collins or Dariusz Michalczewski? Pacquiao was more popular in America in 2009 then Steve Collins or Michalczewski. I doubt many people really even knew who Steve Collins was outside of europe at that time.

Now fans want to see Mayweather fight either Guerrerro or Canelo. And just a few days ago Floyd said that Devon Alexander is the front runner to fight him in May. Who wants to see Mayweather vs Alexander? I don't. Alexander is an average counter puncher. he doesn't bring the aggression or the tactical skill that a Canelo or Guerrero would bring to Mayweather. Styles make fights and Alexander vs Mayweather just doesn't get you as excited as those other fights. So, you have to look at the fact that boxers control who they fight and Mayweather is just as elusive if not more then Roy Jones was in selecting his opponents. Matchmaking has always been a tough business. you got to deal with promoters like Don King and you don't know who to trust, you worry that the promoter will sell you out just using you to make a living. That's why when you reach the top of the sport, like Roy Jones did and like Mayweather did, you have the ability to call your own shots and fight whoever you want.

We can look back and say Roy Jones should have fought that guy or this guy, this is what boxing fans dream about, those matches that never happened. But really you could say Mayweather is just as elusive (not fighting the best) as Roy Jones was. or even worse. (Pacquiao was a bigger draw then either DM or Collins)

Roy Jones once said that there was even talk of a Roy Jones vs Tyson fight in the early 2000s. But really Tyson was way past it at that point and Roy Jones would have probably stopped Tyson just like Lennox Lewis did. So I'm glad that that fight didn't happen because it would have been a way past his prime Tyson against a tail end of prime Roy Jones. Late 80s Tyson vs early 2000s Roy at HW, well Tyson may just have been able to hurt Jones. It's hard to say.

I hope this post adds to the great debate here.
shadow111 is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #50
vast
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow111 View Post
Isn't it funny that people are criticizing Roy for not taking certain fights via hindsight? Sure, looking back at it a Dariusz Michalczewski vs Roy Jones fight would have been amazing and probably should have happened. Or even a RJJ vs Steve Collins fight in 1997.

But it's not as if boxers can see into the future. Many of us also wonder what would have happened had Roy stayed at Heavyweight in 2003. How about Lennox Lewis? Could the Roy that beat John Ruiz have have beaten the Lennox Lewis that fought Vitali Klitschko? I think most people would say that would probably be a toss up fight. (considering Roy was naturally a smaller guy then Lewis, but still had speed and power at HW) had he not drained himself to go back down to Heavyweight, could he have beaten Lewis or either Klitschko? That's a whole debate in it of itself.

But lets think about Mayweather for a second when comparing him to Roy Jones in his prime.

Pacquiao is clearly past his prime now. just look at videos of his fights in 2008 compared to his fight against Marquez in 2012. He doesn't have the same physique he had in 2008. His body looks older, he's lost that half step he had. whether it was PEDs or whether he was just younger and more focused, when Pacquiao was at his peak (around 2008-2009), everyone wanted to see Mayweather vs Pacquiao. And the fact is it didn't happen.

Did Mayweather duck Pacquiao any more then Roy Jones "ducked" Steve Collins or Dariusz Michalczewski? Pacquiao was more popular in America in 2009 then Steve Collins or Michalczewski. I doubt many people really even knew who Steve Collins was outside of europe at that time.

Now fans want to see Mayweather fight either Guerrerro or Canelo. And just a few days ago Floyd said that Devon Alexander is the front runner to fight him in May. Who wants to see Mayweather vs Alexander? I don't. Alexander is an average counter puncher. he doesn't bring the aggression or the tactical skill that a Canelo or Guerrero would bring to Mayweather. Styles make fights and Alexander vs Mayweather just doesn't get you as excited as those other fights. So, you have to look at the fact that boxers control who they fight and Mayweather is just as elusive if not more then Roy Jones was in selecting his opponents. Matchmaking has always been a tough business. you got to deal with promoters like Don King and you don't know who to trust, you worry that the promoter will sell you out just using you to make a living. That's why when you reach the top of the sport, like Roy Jones did and like Mayweather did, you have the ability to call your own shots and fight whoever you want.

We can look back and say Roy Jones should have fought that guy or this guy, this is what boxing fans dream about, those matches that never happened. But really you could say Mayweather is just as elusive (not fighting the best) as Roy Jones was. or even worse. (Pacquiao was a bigger draw then either DM or Collins)

Roy Jones once said that there was even talk of a Roy Jones vs Tyson fight in the early 2000s. But really Tyson was way past it at that point and Roy Jones would have probably stopped Tyson just like Lennox Lewis did. So I'm glad that that fight didn't happen because it would have been a way past his prime Tyson against a tail end of prime Roy Jones. Late 80s Tyson vs early 2000s Roy at HW, well Tyson may just have been able to hurt Jones. It's hard to say.

There never was ANY hindsight regarding Collins. Collins begged to fight him and Roy just ran. I suppose it was too much risk fighting a guy he cannot ko.
vast is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 AM   #51
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

Arran is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #52
Smashgar
McMustache Nuthugger
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 356

Oh Jesus, Brits still butthurt that nobody gave a shit about their nineties stay-at-home WBO heroes. Look man, that wasn't even a real belt back then. When DLH won a WBO belt back in the day, Lampley stood there on HBO and reminded the audience that it wasn't a "real" title, and HBO was sucking Oscar's dick.
Smashgar is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 AM   #53
shadow111
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
How about Lennox Lewis? Could the Roy that beat John Ruiz have beaten the Lennox Lewis that fought Vitali Klitschko? I think most people would say that would probably be a toss up fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arran View Post
well, Lennox Lewis fought Vitali 3 months after Jones fought Ruiz. That was around the time where Roy decided to drain himself and move back down to Light Heavy. But lets say Roy decided to stay at HW for one more fight at heavyweight with Lewis before Lewis retired.

At that time Roy was still essentially undefeated, with his only loss being the DQ to Griffin. Roy was still seen as unbeatable. At that time, Lewis had the WBC IBF and IBO heavyweight belt after retaining against Klitschko. Jones had the WBA heavyweight belt after defeating Ruiz.

Lewis vs Jones could have been a true unification fight in late 2003. how awesome would that have been? While Jones had never been stopped at that time, Lewis had already been stopped twice. Lennox Lewis was a great heavyweight, and maybe would be favored against Jones. But by that time Lewis was past his physical peak. In fact he was down on all 3 scorecards to Vitali when the fight was stopped via cuts.

Jones had the clear speed advantage, even at HW, while Lewis would have the superior jab. Had Jones stayed at heavyweight, what was a bigger fight for Roy then a unification fight at Heavyweight with Lewis? Jones could have became the undisputed heavyweight champ if he could defeat Lewis. instead Lennox retired and Jones moved down, and all the belts were vacated. Jones was 3 and a half years younger then Lewis. What could have been! Maybe Lewis retiring had something to do with Roy moving back down to LH. Wasn't Jones considering staying at HW for a while?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #54
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashgar View Post
Oh Jesus, Brits still butthurt that nobody gave a shit about their nineties stay-at-home WBO heroes. Look man, that wasn't even a real belt back then. When DLH won a WBO belt back in the day, Lampley stood there on HBO and reminded the audience that it wasn't a "real" title, and HBO was sucking Oscar's dick.
stay at home heroes? Like Ward, Mayweather etc? ...and Roy Jones until he was forced to leave in search of fights.
Arran is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #55
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
well, Lennox Lewis fought Vitali 3 months after Jones fought Ruiz. That was around the time where Roy decided to drain himself and move back down to Light Heavy. But lets say Roy decided to stay at HW for one more fight at heavyweight with Lewis before Lewis retired.

At that time Roy was still essentially undefeated, with his only loss being the DQ to Griffin. Roy was still seen as unbeatable. At that time, Lewis had the WBC IBF and IBO heavyweight belt after retaining against Klitschko. Jones had the WBA heavyweight belt after defeating Ruiz.

Lewis vs Jones could have been a true unification fight in late 2003. how awesome would that have been? While Jones had never been stopped at that time, Lewis had already been stopped twice. Lennox Lewis was a great heavyweight, and maybe would be favored against Jones. But by that time Lewis was past his physical peak. In fact he was down on all 3 scorecards to Vitali when the fight was stopped via cuts.

Jones had the clear speed advantage, even at HW, while Lewis would have the superior jab. Had Jones stayed at heavyweight, what was a bigger fight for Roy then a unification fight at Heavyweight with Lewis? Jones could have became the undisputed heavyweight champ if he could defeat Lewis. instead Lennox retired and Jones moved down, and all the belts were vacated. Jones was 3 and a half years younger then Lewis. What could have been! Maybe Lewis retiring had something to do with Roy moving back down to LH. Wasn't Jones considering staying at HW for a while?
he fought the easiest and smallest HW for a reason, if lewis had landed one bomb he would still be asleep now.
Arran is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #56
shadow111
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
he fought the easiest and smallest HW for a reason, if lewis had landed one bomb he would still be asleep now.
maybe but Lewis never had to fight a heavyweight with the kind of speed that Roy Jones had. Roy wouldn't go in there and bang with a guy the size of Lewis. He would dance around the ring and try to land one shot at a time, probably a lot of counter right hands. Roy would use head movement to try to get around the Lewis jab and come back with shots of his own.

Lewis could hurt Jones, but Jones could also hurt Lewis if he timed him right. Lewis had a habit of leaving his hands down by his waist and left himself open at times. Even Holyfield years earlier had some success against Lewis and even stunned him once in their 2nd fight.

Lewis would be a much tougher test for Jones then Ruiz, obviously, Jones could win a lot of rounds by being elusive and superior hand and foot speed.

Is it true that Lewis turned down $35 million to fight Jones?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #57
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vast View Post
There never was ANY hindsight regarding Collins. Collins begged to fight him and Roy just ran. I suppose it was too much risk fighting a guy he cannot ko.
What risk? There was no money involved, no major title, he wasn't a mandatory.

Lets be real here. Collins was a warrior, with an iron chin, and he was a hard man. But technically he wasn't great, and his claim to fame was beating Benn and Eubank twice who were somewhat faded.

It's ridiculous to think that Collins would have had any chance of beating Roy, or that Roy was fearful of him. Roy fought and beat better fighters than Collins. He went upto heavyweight at 34.

If he was scared of Collins in his mid 20's, do you seriously think he'd have gone upto heavy in his mid 30's?

Do you think a Steve Collins fight was a bigger risk than Fighting Ruiz at 220 pounds coming off of recent wins against Holyfield?

Last edited by Loudon; 02-11-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #58
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
maybe but Lewis never had to fight a heavyweight with the kind of speed that Roy Jones had. Roy wouldn't go in there and bang with a guy the size of Lewis. He would dance around the ring and try to land one shot at a time, probably a lot of counter right hands. Roy would use head movement to try to get around the Lewis jab and come back with shots of his own.

Lewis could hurt Jones, but Jones could also hurt Lewis if he timed him right. Lewis had a habit of leaving his hands down by his waist and left himself open at times. Even Holyfield years earlier had some success against Lewis and even stunned him once in their 2nd fight.

Lewis would be a much tougher test for Jones then Ruiz, obviously, Jones could win a lot of rounds by being elusive and superior hand and foot speed.

Is it true that Lewis turned down $35 million to fight Jones?
Lewis was the master of keeping a fighter at range with his left, jones wouldn't have got near hm. one flush punch and he would be sleeping. i would have more respect if he had been fighting real fights rather than bums most of his career. Jones was happy to show off and look flashy...but only when fighting mexican street sweepers. the fact is he did duck collins (i dont even like collins) as i remember all them years ago he chased roy to the ends of the earth and he still said no.
Arran is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #59
Arran
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
What risk? There was no money involved, no major title, he wasn't a mandatory.

Lets be real here. Collins was a warrior, with an iron chin, and he was a hard man. But technically he wasn't great, and his claim to fame was beating Bennand Eubank twice who were somewhat faded.

It's ridiculous to think that Collins would have had any chance of beating Roy, or that Roy was fearful of him. Roy fought and beat better fighters than Collins. He went upto heavyweight at 34.

If he was scared of Collins in his mid 20's, do you seriously think he'd have gone upto heavy in his mid 30's?

Do you think a Steve Collins fight was a bigger risk than Fighting Ruiz at 220 pounds coming off of recent wins against Holyfield?
once again...his HW stint was a thing of beauty...but it was one fight, against a guy with 4 losses who was barely a HW himself, he was a small podgy guy who beat nobody apart from one win (and loss) over Evander.
Arran is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #60
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
stay at home heroes? Like Ward, Mayweather etc? ...and Roy Jones until he was forced to leave in search of fights.
The major title holders in the 90's were either American, based in America, or regularly fought in America. Nothing much has changed today. America will always host the majority of the worlds biggest fights.

None of the fighters above had any reason to leave home.

Last edited by Loudon; 02-14-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Loudon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum