Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #76
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760
Default Re: Was it Johnson's workrate or his power that caused Calzaghe to duck him?

Quite honestly though the arguments of Calzaghe fanatics go so many different ways it makes me ****ing dizzy..

On one side, Roy wasn't shot, he got knocked out by Johnson because Roy stepped up to elite competition despite Johnson losing to previous Roy victims..

Then on the other, Johnson was not worthy of Calzaghe at any time, because Calzaghe beat fighters that beat Johnson...

All fighters have delusional fans, I think Calzaghe's are the worst at twisting logic to support Joe whenever they see fit...

It is funny though, they discredit fighters like Roy and Hopkins to the point where it should take away from Joe's wins over the old guys, then in the next argument praise Joe for the amazing feat..

You can't have your Calzaghe cake and eat it too.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #77
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744
Default Re: Was it Johnson's workrate or his power that caused Calzaghe to duck him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsoulja View Post
He fights all these British champs, then calls out the British MW champ, but when the British SMW champ asks for a showdown he wants no part of him.
The BBC article linked earlier in this thread about Calzaghe trying to get a fight with Middleweight Champion Eastman is dated April 2003 and the British Super Middleweight Champion in April 2003 was a man called Matthew Barney - and as far as I know Barney never called out Calzaghe - Froch had yet to win the title when Calzaghe was attempting to get Eastman.

Do you have evidence of Barney calling out Calzaghe?
MAJR is online now  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #78
realsoulja
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
The BBC article linked earlier in this thread about Calzaghe trying to get a fight with Middleweight Champion Eastman is dated April 2003 and the British Super Middleweight Champion in April 2003 was a man called Matthew Barney - and as far as I know Barney never called out Calzaghe - Froch had yet to win the title when Calzaghe was attempting to get Eastman.

Do you have evidence of Barney calling out Calzaghe?
Calzaghe wanted no part of Froch when he was the British SMW champ who was calling him out

Calzaghe called out Howard Eastman who was the British MW champ, whilst coming of a win against Tocker Pudwill.

The above are factual truths. I dont kbow why you want to discuss Barney for.
realsoulja is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #79
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Delete.

Can't post article from the Scene. It was basically Frank Warran claiming Joe would always make excuses to pull out of fights, and it eventually came to a point where Frank had to pay opponents money up-front just incase Joe wouldn't turn up. Showtime called him 'No Show Joe'. Apparently, he wanted to cancel the Lacy fight, too. Frank and Joe's dad, Enzo, had to convince him to go ahead with it.
this literally made failey cry, you just crushed his dreams
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #80
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

delete
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #81
MAJR
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 744

Quote:
Calzaghe wanted no part of Froch when he was the British SMW champ who was calling him out

Calzaghe called out Howard Eastman who was the British MW champ, whilst coming of a win against Tocker Pudwill.

Well, it appeared to me that you were talking of one incident, because the only way I see the relevance of Calzaghe's attempts to fight Eastman to Froch calling Calzaghe out would be if it happened at the same time, but that's not the case.

Whether or not Calzaghe attempted to fight the British Middleweight Champion in 2003 - regardless of who he beat before doing so - has little bearing on what he was doing in 2006 or beyond, and has nothing whatsoever to do with however he dealt with Froch.

In fact, Calzaghe attempting to arrange a fight with Eastman has so little relevance to him deciding not to fight Froch that - if it was not your intention to criticise him for ignoring the British Super Middleweight Champion's challenge so that he could instead attempt to fight the champion from a lower division - I have to wonder why you brought it up in the first place.
MAJR is online now  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #82
ELECTRIC GURU
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJR View Post
Well, it appeared to me that you were talking of one incident, because the only way I see the relevance of Calzaghe's attempts to fight Eastman to Froch calling Calzaghe out would be if it happened at the same time, but that's not the case.

Whether or not Calzaghe attempted to fight the British Middleweight Champion in 2003 - regardless of who he beat before doing so - has little bearing on what he was doing in 2006 or beyond, and has nothing whatsoever to do with however he dealt with Froch.

In fact, Calzaghe attempting to arrange a fight with Eastman has so little relevance to him deciding not to fight Froch that - if it was not your intention to criticise him for ignoring the British Super Middleweight Champion's challenge so that he could instead attempt to fight the champion from a lower division - I have to wonder why you brought it up in the first place.
Its because he is a Hopkins fanboy and the last thing he see's in his mind before he goes to sleep and the 1st thing he see's when he wakes up is the haunting figure of Joe Calzaghe. He knows thats where all roads lead to.
ELECTRIC GURU is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #83
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict

i dont know about ducking, but Johnson is a difficult proposition for anyone... and possibly outweighed reward for risk in Calzaghe's management, if they did have considered in fighting him.

You couldnt expect to stop Johnson, and you'd have to contend with his workrate - a pretty difficult proposition and a spoiler from time to time
Skilletscuz is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 06:51 AM   #84
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Quote:

He didn't want the tough fights he made it perfectly clear, yet some of these fanboys think Johnson is unworthy (but pudwill is worthy) Froch....no but Salem? hell yes

What's worse is the Calzaghe nuthugger brigade thinking he was a SMW Oscar De La Hoya fighting only the best names hence didn't have time for the smaller fish but Joe's whole career was the opposite ie he made a career out of fighting the likes of Branny Sobo and Tocker Pudwill.
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #85
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Froch brought little to the table at the time. Calzaghe was trying to unify with Kessler, not beat a little known British champ
Quote:
So what did Eastman do when called out?
I do remember hearing something about Eastman being offered, though if it was the time of Calzaghe beating Pudwill who had taken a world champ the distance (who was also a late sub for Tate who pulled out), Eastman certainly didnt show he was looking for the best by fighting 12-4-0 Osman
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
He didn't want the tough fights he made it perfectly clear, yet some of these fanboys think Johnson is unworthy (but pudwill is worthy) Froch....no but Salem? hell yes
Pudwill was a late sub for top 10 rated Tate, who pulled out. This was long before Froch was on the scene.
Do you not understand that Johnson was losing SMW fight one after the other against unranked opponents

Quote:
What's worse is the Calzaghe nuthugger brigade thinking he was a SMW Oscar De La Hoya fighting only the best names hence didn't have time for the smaller fish but Joe's whole career was the opposite ie he made a career out of fighting the likes of Branny Sobo and Tocker Pudwill.
Very ignorant post as the 2 names you mention were both subs.
Shows how little you know on the subject.
Calzaghe beat a whos who of SMW fighters who would face him and Johnson wouldnt be on that list

Do you forget that Johnson twice lost eliminators where Calzaghe agreed to fight Johnson if he won. Calzaghe would have had to fight Johnson if Johnson could have beaten Sheika

They would have fought in 2004 if Johnson had waited instead of fighting Jones. Johnson told Dan Goosen to forget about Joe. Yet he came running back to Calzaghe when Joe became a superstar after whooping Lacy.

BBC Tuesday, 8 June, 2004

But Johnson is adamant Calzaghe has lost his chance, saying: "The fight is off. I'm not interested in fighting Joe Calzaghe any more.Johnson refused to wait for the fight to be rescheduled on 04,fact.

Calzaghe agreed to fight Johnson in September 06 on the condition that Johnson beat Woods in their 3rd fight. However Johnson lost and missed his chance. Calzaghe was ringside for this fight.
Why do people leave out this information when discussing this issue?

and I have a hard time believing Calzaghe would duck an old journeyman like Johnson to fight a younger, much more dangerous Mikkel Kessler!!! and yes Calzaghe WAS injury prone. he was notorious for hand problems.....Many of his fights including Lacy had to be rescheduled. He still ended up fighting them. He wanted to reschedule the Johnson fight but like i saidJ ohnson said he was "done" with Calzaghe.

everybody was beating johnson before he popped up on the hbo screen and knockout that over hyped HBO fighter jones jr

also not once throughout calzaghes reign was johnson ranked in the ringmag top 10!!
bailey is online now  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #86
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 86

Some boxers fight stiffs but Joe tried to fight an actual stiff during his padded SMW run.

His camp tried to get him a fight with Darrin Morris , a fighter who had been dead and buried for two years. As long as he wasn't top 10 ranked , they didn't care who the opponent was.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #87
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
Some boxers fight stiffs but Joe tried to fight an actual stiff during his padded SMW run.

His camp tried to get him a fight with Darrin Morris , a fighter who had been dead and buried for two years. As long as he wasn't top 10 ranked , they didn't care who the opponent was.
Can you show me a source where that fight was pursued?
I understand that somehow a fighter who had passed away got moved up the rankings, but can you show me where that fight was pursued
Old 01-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #88
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Can you show me a source where that fight was pursued?
I understand that somehow a fighter who had passed away got moved up the rankings, but can you show me where that fight was pursued
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #89
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
That doesnt say anything about the Calzaghe team trying to pursue that fight and just says what was already known about a fighter who had passed away somehow going up in ranking, but not about Calzaghes team wanting the fight
Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #90
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELECTRIC GURU View Post
Its because he is a Hopkins fanboy and the last thing he see's in his mind before he goes to sleep and the 1st thing he see's when he wakes up is the haunting figure of Joe Calzaghe. He knows thats where all roads lead to.
It makes some posters very insecure how so many roads lead to Calzaghe, but most of them do.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum