Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Just got my hands on a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Super excited to try them out and break them in. Pair of 14oz I had some real decent 16oz Triumph United gloves, I used them for both sparring and bag work, but after a while I felt like I wasn't turning my punches over on the bag because it was just so big. People in my gym also just sparred with what they trained with (which was obviously 14oz) and I felt I was at a bit of a disadvantage in speed and power. I bought these as an incentive to start training again. Got hyped so I thought I'd share.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675
Default Re: Just got my hands on a pair of Cleto Reyes gloves

I never figured CR made gloves with the velcro straps. I'd only seen them properly equipped with laces. Same with Winning and Grant.
How's the stitching work and padding? Is the wrist support firm?
They look awesome
JDK is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Know a few guys we train with that have hurt their hands in them - if you have had any history of hand issues, be prepared to break out some epson salt!
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I have those in white...once you break them in they are great
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
I never figured CR made gloves with the velcro straps. I'd only seen them properly equipped with laces. Same with Winning and Grant.
They look awesome
The velcro is another reason I opted for them, it was such a pain to have someone lace me up every time I wanted to hit the bags. Haven't opened them yet, I'm gonna wait until I head to the new gym I'm trying to check out or get my friend to do the mitts for me. I'll let you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentMatt View Post
Know a few guys we train with that have hurt their hands in them - if you have had any history of hand issues, be prepared to break out some epson salt!
Hurt them where, on the knuckles? Haven't had any issues so far with my hands but thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_40 View Post
I have those in white...once you break them in they are great
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Ive considered getting reyes myself please let me know how they are! i'd like a full review!
Ricky42791 is online now  Top
Old 03-14-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
I TuCKeR 93 I

vCash: 1176

Yep same^
I TuCKeR 93 I is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #8
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I used a pair of their laceups for bagwork...Huge hand pocket but I put sponges under my wraps so it was awesome. They tend to land squarely on the bag. Tough to explain but you know what I mean if you've used them.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
smilin assassin
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

ive been out injured now for over a year with my wrist as they still aint got to the bottom of my injury. i put it down to having little hands that could not with stand my punching power. stupid i know but i had reyes gloves and they were not the gloves for weaker hands.
smilin assassin is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
They look awesome
That's the question to ask.

I have a white pair of Velcro 8oz I use on the pads. I love the way they feel, but they are definitely not as supported as my other gloves in the wrist area. My wrist on occasion rolls very easily in these gloves. Mine are only 8oz but the padding isn't as dense as other gloves and I find they are not as durable in general. The leather is beautifully soft but that means it scars and breaks down pretty quick. I can't imagine using them on a bag if the wrist support is the same on a pair of 14s and I imagine the leather wont last so long with regular use on the bag.

I'm a Muay Thai guy so in the past have used Twins alot but tend to use Boon most of the time these days (beautiful gloves!), but i just love the way the Reyes feel on the pads. They tend to mould to my hands really well, you can feel the quality, but other gloves are definitely more durable and better supported.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #11
DS-Southpaw

vCash: 681

I got these in white and 18oz (I'm a heavyweight 6'5", 242lbs / 1m95, 110kg).

I got them about 2 months ago and train with them 3-4 times a week. They replaced my Everlast Protex2 sparring gloves ( as they fell apart after 7 months ).

Anyways the protection is good enough for me (expected a bit more from 18oz gloves) and have a lot less complaints from my sparring partners now (wore 16oz previously).

I like that it has an elastic band inside that keeps the glove tight around the wrist/palm area.

Stitching etc. looks good and the leather looks great as well (especially in white).

The only negative so far is that the goat leather smell makes me nauseous when I shell up.
DS-Southpaw is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Makingweight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cleto Reyes the shape,weight distribution & feel are rated more as a punchers glove always have been.That is to fight with they fit very tight & mould around the knuckle.

Not so much so on general bag work & may well have a shorter shelf life usage wise than other similar price range gloves.It obviously depends on weight of glove you buy & purpose.Top quality glove.
Makingweight is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #13
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-Southpaw View Post
I got these in white and 18oz (I'm a heavyweight 6'5", 242lbs / 1m95, 110kg).

I got them about 2 months ago and train with them 3-4 times a week. They replaced my Everlast Protex2 sparring gloves ( as they fell apart after 7 months ).

Anyways the protection is good enough for me (expected a bit more from 18oz gloves) and have a lot less complaints from my sparring partners now (wore 16oz previously).

I like that it has an elastic band inside that keeps the glove tight around the wrist/palm area.

Stitching etc. looks good and the leather looks great as well (especially in white).

The only negative so far is that the goat leather smell makes me nauseous when I shell up.

thats a positive for me...
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 AM   #14
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

Quote:
They look awesome
I know you've been waiting for my review, I've had a lot of work to do but I should be able to get on the bag soon. The stitching is real nice and tidy. The leather is smooth as well. One thing I noted was the stiffness of the glove, could barely close a fist, but that's due to not being broken in.

The leather does smell a bit different, but I'll get used to it.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #15
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
I know you've been waiting for my review, I've had a lot of work to do but I should be able to get on the bag soon. The stitching is real nice and tidy. The leather is smooth as well. One thing I noted was the stiffness of the glove, could barely close a fist, but that's due to not being broken in.

The leather does smell a bit different, but I'll get used to it.

they're great gloves, only problem i have is that my 12oz feel a bit heavier than my other 14oz's. I think it's because of the wrist padding.
r1p00pk is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing