Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685
Default Cruisers v Heavys

Who wins the following 5 v 5 tournament (placings have been taken off boxrec)
Henandez v Povetkin
Tarver v Fury
Huck v Solis
Lebedev v Helenius
Wlodarczyk v Banks

This is the 5 best cruiserweight fighters v the 6-10 best heavyweights.

Do the Heavys whitewash as we should expect?

Also it might also be interesting to see how someone like the top 5 light heavys might perform also when you consider that one of them has already beaten the number 4 ranked heavyweight! Are weights really any more important nowadays than what they have always been?
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054
Default Re: Cruisers v Heavys

Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I guess the question is, looking at this, would you really back the 5 on the right to beat the 5 on the left.

What does this mean? I am not sure, but i think that it would be fair to say that the current top 10 heavyweights are not the current top 10 fighters in the world. I guess you could extend that to say that when the Klitchskos are cleaning out the division they are not really cleaning out the top 10 fighters in the world because those guys are simply not competing (even if they beat the top 10).

But I didnt want to get hijacked by a Klitschko v Old fighters thread. I was just interested to investigate what i thought a very interesting point about the current state of the new age Superheavyweight division and wondering whether anyone else saw these pick em fights the same way, or if the weight discrepancies were too much in favour of the big guys. Also, i wonder whether the same competitiveness would apply with other divisions. I imagine that the crossover competitiveness would become even more as they drop.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

I think the lack of post's in reply to this thread is quite telling
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 827

Not sure why this is in he classic.

Henandez v Povetkin
Tarver v Fury
Huck v Solis
Lebedev v Helenius
Wlodarczyk v Banks

Winners in Bold
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

This shouldnt be on classic i think
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

A few years back, I posted a thread that matched the 10 best fighters in history under 200lbs, against the ten best over 230.

Most people gave the guys unde 200 the edge.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
A few years back, I posted a thread that matched the 10 best fighters in history under 200lbs, against the ten best over 230.

What were your match ups?
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Not sure why this is in he classic.

Henandez v Povetkin
Tarver v Fury
Huck v Solis
Lebedev v Helenius
Wlodarczyk v Banks

Winners in Bold
Very interesting picks. Particularly since the only heavyweight you have losing a fight is one of the current world champions.

I can see why you might give the heavies such an advantage but you would have to acknowledge that many of those fights could go either way. Looking at the list, i think that the Tarver v Fury fight would be particularlly interesting and telling for what i suggested. Although Tarver is obviously old, which doesnt bode well, his best weight is probably a light heavy weight and his opponent is probably the ultimate modern heavyweight, in that he has side and that body building physique, but not really any sort of above average skills. Due to the age, i think i would agree with you that Tarver would lose, due to his age and recent inactivity but it would have been very, very interesting if they fought straight after the Danny Green fight. I do stilll thing that he would have to start as underdog even then though because it is not proven that he can take the heavyweight punch (not that he cant just that we dont know). It would be ineresting if yet another fighter (following Adamek) failed against Chad Dawson but was successful in going up in weight. I wonder where that would leave Dawson in the scheme of things.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post

Muhammad Ali (lavorante fight)
Joe Louis (Arturo Godoy fight)
Evander Holyfield (Carlos De Leon fight)
Rocky Marciano
Jack Dempsey

I think that is a pretty good team of at least 5. with plenty of fighters and depth to take the next five spots.

I am not sure how the over 230s would look. Probably something like Klitchsko, Klitchsko, Lewis, Bowe, Willard but they would start to look a bit ordinary after that.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
But I didnt want to get hijacked by a Klitschko v Old fighters thread. I was just interested to investigate what i thought a very interesting point about the current state of the new age Superheavyweight division and wondering whether anyone else saw these pick em fights the same way, or if the weight discrepancies were too much in favour of the big guys.
Only Helenius and Fury are " super heavies ". I define a super heavy as one who is over 225 pounds in shape, at least 6'3", and has at least a 78" reach.

Henandez v Povetkin >>Povetkin on points
Tarver v Fury >>>Fury on points
Huck v Solis >>If he's in shape, Solis
Lebedev v Helenius >>>Helenius via KO, he hits a ton.
Wlodarczyk v Banks >>> 50/50
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Only Helenius and Fury are " super heavies ". I define a super heavy as one who is over 225 pounds in shape, at least 6'3", and has at least a 78" reach.

Henandez v Povetkin >>Povetkin on points
Tarver v Fury >>>Fury on points
Huck v Solis >>If he's in shape, Solis
Lebedev v Helenius >>>Helenius via KO, he hits a ton.
Wlodarczyk v Banks >>> 50/50

your predictions, solis in shape is a big if so surely you goota go with huck not much skill I know but he is going to give 100% and that has got to give him an edge all the rest I agree with I think so it could well be 3-2 to the heavies
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Very interesting picks. Particularly since the only heavyweight you have losing a fight is one of the current world champions.

I can see why you might give the heavies such an advantage but you would have to acknowledge that many of those fights could go either way. Looking at the list, i think that the Tarver v Fury fight would be particularlly interesting and telling for what i suggested. Although Tarver is obviously old, which doesnt bode well, his best weight is probably a light heavy weight and his opponent is probably the ultimate modern heavyweight, in that he has side and that body building physique, but not really any sort of above average skills. Due to the age, i think i would agree with you that Tarver would lose, due to his age and recent inactivity but it would have been very, very interesting if they fought straight after the Danny Green fight. I do stilll thing that he would have to start as underdog even then though because it is not proven that he can take the heavyweight punch (not that he cant just that we dont know). It would be ineresting if yet another fighter (following Adamek) failed against Chad Dawson but was successful in going up in weight. I wonder where that would leave Dawson in the scheme of things.
Henandez v Povetkin: Povetkin is on browed time. I'd pretty much take any top 10 heavyweight and top 5 Cruisserweight to beat him. I'd take everyone listed in this thread expect Tarver to beat him.
Tarver v Fury: 1. Furry's a gaint with decent skills 2. Tarver is getting old.
Huck v Solis: Not overly impresed by either, so I went with the bigger guy.
Lebedev v Helenius: Helenlus might be a stiff but he's not horible. I'd like to see Lebedev beat someone who's not on the yesterday's champions tour.
Wlodarczyk v Banks: While I think that emotion had a lot to do with Banks recent win over Mitchel. He's a smart and clever boxer, who was weitten off after he lost to Ademek.
ripcity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum