Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
sgarcia805
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default GGG vs Martinez WILL NEVER HAPPEN! Fat Dan

Do you agree or disagree???Fat Dan makes some valid points. Sergio just had knee surgery, who knows if he recovers well, as mobility is a big part of his game. 2013 Martinez is already booked up for him, Murray fight, & then Chavez Jr rematch late in the year. 2014 he will be close to 40, will his promoter put him in then, as he was reluctant to before(Who the F knows GGG)?? Doubt it. Sad because its one of the top5 fights to be made in boxing, but I doubt it hapens, boxing for ya.
sgarcia805 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
split_decision
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: GGG vs Martinez WILL NEVER HAPPEN! Fat Dan

GGG is the FUTURE
split_decision is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
Kurushi
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 871

After Murray and JCCJr, GGG would be an awesome fight to finish Sergio's career on. Either he goes out on a high or he hands over the baton. I think the fight could happen. Could be decided by what GGG achieves this year.
Kurushi is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Maravilla should NOT face Golovkin. It's too high risk, and there's no need.

Sergio has proven all he needs to prove, and deserves to retire with a strong legacy. Let him have 1-2 more nice paydays, (an easy rematch with Jr, and maybe Geale) then buy a nice little villa in the South of France.

Golovkin, despite his age, is part of "the next generation" of fighters. A changing of the guard. If Martinez retires before facing him, it will not be seen as a duck.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
kirk
C1
East Side VIP

vCash: 8835

Martinez was/is great (imo) but his time has come..... between his injury and his age, I just hope he can retire as the middleweight champion.

I think him rematching Jr is a huge waste.... I hope they reconsider that.

Would much rather see him take on GGG in one of his last fights then to give a guy he beat for 35 minutes out of 36 a rematch.

Martinez vs GGG : A huge middleweight fight, and potentially a passing of the torch.

Its also a shame that Martinez will probably retire without having gotten a shot at a career changing fights like against Canelo or Mayweather at 154. (Maybe he could have fought Canelo though, reports are they offered him a fight, not sure how true that is, have a hard time thinking martinez or his team wouldnt jump all over that)
kirk is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

That Dan guy is just a guy who talks about boxing rumors and possible fights and is big on twitter. Not much of a professional and not into boxing technique at all. I miss the guys like Gil Clancy or Al Bernstein who really know boxing.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
purephase
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
That Dan guy is just a guy who talks about boxing rumors and possible fights and is big on twitter. Not much of a professional and not into boxing technique at all. I miss the guys like Gil Clancy or Al Bernstein who really know boxing.
Yep most boxing columnists today are simply glorified gossip mongers who just so happen to write about boxing.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1965 View Post
that dan guy is just a guy who talks about boxing rumors and possible fights and is big on twitter. Not much of a professional and not into boxing technique at all. I miss the guys like Gil Clancy or Al Bernstein who really know boxing.
True Dat.

FWIW, Al Bernstein said, earlier this year, that he'd probably be coming back to Showtime.

I sure hope so.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 01-25-2013 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Kevin Willis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase View Post
Yep most boxing columnists today are simply glorified gossip mongers who just so happen to write about boxing.
Hey, come on! Steve Kim occasionally hits the heavy bag at wildcard.
Kevin Willis is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Maravilla should NOT face Golovkin. It's too high risk, and there's no need.

Sergio has proven all he needs to prove, and deserves to retire with a strong legacy. Let him have 1-2 more nice paydays, (an easy rematch with Jr, and maybe Geale) then buy a nice little villa in the South of France.

Golovkin, despite his age, is part of "the next generation" of fighters. A changing of the guard. If Martinez retires before facing him, it will not be seen as a duck.
FilipMNE is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
FilipMNE
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk View Post
Martinez was/is great (imo) but his time has come..... between his injury and his age, I just hope he can retire as the middleweight champion.

I think him rematching Jr is a huge waste.... I hope they reconsider that.

Would much rather see him take on GGG in one of his last fights then to give a guy he beat for 35 minutes out of 36 a rematch.

Martinez vs GGG : A huge middleweight fight, and potentially a passing of the torch.

Its also a shame that Martinez will probably retire without having gotten a shot at a career changing fights like against Canelo or Mayweather at 154. (Maybe he could have fought Canelo though, reports are they offered him a fight, not sure how true that is, have a hard time thinking martinez or his team wouldnt jump all over that)
100% sure its bull**** Sergio would school and stop Canelo no way Canelos team really offered that fight.
FilipMNE is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
purephase
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMNE View Post
100% sure its bull**** Sergio would school and stop Canelo no way Canelos team really offered that fight.
Yep, Canelo fans have simply translated Alvarez saying in a throwaway interview that he'd like to fight Martinez as evidence that an actual offer was presented and turned down.
purephase is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
Manfred
Champion
East Side Guru

Iv'e done my share of hatin on Sergio but I don't wanna see another JCC jr fight. Id like to see him tune up on that bum from GB and then get ready for a last hurrah with the triple G. Then he can fade into the sunset with his ass well toasted.
Manfred is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #14
kas117
Undisputed Shit-Stirrer
ESB Senior Member

GGG fans why the hell should Golovkin get or even deserve a shot at Martinez over Geale, the number 2 middleweight in the world who has had to fight his way up the rankings including beating the previous #1 Ring ranked Felix Sturm (Martinez was champion)? Golovkin has beaten **** all yet you all scream that he should be the first in line to fight Martinez despite having beaten no one of note and beating up light middleweights. Nothing wrong with Golovkin as a person, he is good, strong fighter who brings excitement to his fights but his fans have to be the dumbest group of people with an exception to a few.
kas117 is offline  Top
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfred View Post
Iv'e done my share of hatin on Sergio but I don't wanna see another JCC jr fight. Id like to see him tune up on that bum from GB and then get ready for a last hurrah with the triple G. Then he can fade into the sunset with his ass well toasted.

Wow. What did Martinez do, **** your girlfriend or something?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum