Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: who wins and how and why?
gavin tko ko 0 0%
gavin pts 28 42.42%
vassell tko ko 27 40.91%
vassell pts 11 16.67%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #31
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592
Default Re: FRANKIE GAVIN VS DENTON VASSELL who wins

I personally believe Vassell has the potential to be at least European level, he just doesn't get any fights with Hatton.

He has left the Hatton promotions so he might get more opportunities now.
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #32
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Relatively undersized at the weight, looked poor under pressure before, gets lazy & hit sometimes...

All very sheer fabric on which to support a theory of his skills failing him and leaving him ground down and stopped.

Have we seen Gavin take a ride to Queer Street? Truly ever looking as though he were drowning and helpless?

I see Gavin's movement and punches in bunches proving more of a bother for Vassell than Vassell's pressure and power should be for Gavin.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #33
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
He did not struggle with Woodhouse. This is a recurring myth. Your analysis is based on something no one has managed with Gavin. By the end of most of his fights Gavin is usually putting it on his opponent, not the other way round.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #34
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by emallini View Post
Your overrating Gavin. Against Woodhouse he was getting outworked and pressured in some rounds. Frankie goes on the defensive for too long and has very average power. His AM career has no bearing on a 12 round title fight as we have seen so many times before with decorated am fighters.
I think folks are overrating Denton, myself.

I don't project Frankie conquering the world or anything, but he should eke a path into contention at least...whereas Vassell has pretty much found his ceiling IMO and would need a fair bit of luck to don a Euro belt.

So which is it, then - he goes on defensive too much or he'd be there for Vassell to hit and wear down?

No question he's the lighter hitter and corporeally weaker of the pair - but he is also quite obviously the superior boxer, quicker-handed, and with greater propensity to make adjustments and think outside the box.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #35
Special
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1141

Quote:
He did not struggle with Woodhouse. This is a recurring myth. Your analysis is based on something no one has managed with Gavin. By the end of most of his fights Gavin is usually putting it on his opponent, not the other way round.
It is quite clear that he did struggle with Woodhouse, he lost quite a few rounds in that fight although he did clearly win. Gavin himself admits he had problems with Woodhouse at times.
Special is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #36
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
It is quite clear that he did struggle with Woodhouse, he lost quite a few rounds in that fight although he did clearly win. Gavin himself admits he had problems with Woodhouse at times.
Right, but if we're going to harp on that let's revisit the rounds Ushona took off Vassell.

Woodhouse is inferior to Vassell, yes, but I hope we're all in agreement that Ushona is commensurately inferior to Gavin...
Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #37
enpe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I wouldn't read anything into the Woodhouse fight, if you are judging Gavin look at his amateur career and last 4 fights, anything where he has been trained in Birmingham by Tom Chaney, for the Woodhouse fight his diet was beans on toast, crisps and coke. Now he's moved back to Birmingham he makes the weight properly and looks a far better fighter. I also see no issues with his power, it might not be one punch KO power but it's enough to hold opponents off, 11 KOs in 15 is a decent record, especially if you look that the points wins were Peter McDonagh, who no one stops, Young Mutley, when he had flu and still won every round, Curtis Woodhouse, which was an off night and Junior Witter who has a solid chin and will drag the pace of the fight down so far and is so awkward that he won't get worn down and stopped late, even when he has aged.
enpe is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #38
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special View Post
i scored that fight 9 -3 to Gavin , i think too many were swayed by the commentary and were too glued on what Woodhouse was doing and at the same time picking at the negatives with Gavin. This was Gavin at his worst, who to me clearly won.

Woodhouse vs Welborn would be interesting....
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #39
DaveyboyEssexUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by enpe View Post
I wouldn't read anything into the Woodhouse fight, if you are judging Gavin look at his amateur career and last 4 fights, anything where he has been trained in Birmingham by Tom Chaney, for the Woodhouse fight his diet was beans on toast, crisps and coke. Now he's moved back to Birmingham he makes the weight properly and looks a far better fighter. I also see no issues with his power, it might not be one punch KO power but it's enough to hold opponents off, 11 KOs in 15 is a decent record, especially if you look that the points wins were Peter McDonagh, who no one stops, Young Mutley, when he had flu and still won every round, Curtis Woodhouse, which was an off night and Junior Witter who has a solid chin and will drag the pace of the fight down so far and is so awkward that he won't get worn down and stopped late, even when he has aged.
Gavins key is how he makes opponents expend up their energy by making them miss and at the same time weakening them with his combos its a double whanmmy effect
DaveyboyEssexUK is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #40
Arnie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
His Diet wasn't beans on toast it was chicken and rice every night I know because my mother cooked it for him! What crap he put through his mouth was down to him self, he knew how to diet because I took him to Kerry Kay's and he wrote out diets for him to follow also all that time on GB squads I think you get told right and wrong foods to consume, so when he didn't follow them it wasn't down to anything other than Frankies own dedication. Nothing to do with beans on toast that's a load of shit.
Arnie is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #41
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't read anything into the Woodhouse fight, if you are judging Gavin look at his amateur career and last 4 fights, anything where he has been trained in Birmingham by Tom Chaney, for the Woodhouse fight his diet was beans on toast, crisps and coke. Now he's moved back to Birmingham he
Eats Nando's..
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #42
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Eats Nando's..
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #43
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
But he does!
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #44
enpe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
His Diet wasn't beans on toast it was chicken and rice every night I know because my mother cooked it for him! What crap he put through his mouth was down to him self, he knew how to diet because I took him to Kerry Kay's and he wrote out diets for him to follow also all that time on GB squads I think you get told right and wrong foods to consume, so when he didn't follow them it wasn't down to anything other than Frankies own dedication. Nothing to do with beans on toast that's a load of shit.
Not blaming you as a trainer, ultimately a fighter's diet is down to himself, Gavin has admitted he used to eat beans on toast and drink coke, I think he's just more settled in Birmingham with Tom Chaney who knows him well and how to get the best out of him.
enpe is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #45
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
finally people talking sense. his problems have been nobodies fault but frankies. the olympics and the poor start to a pro career.
Jonsey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum