Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Four Kings Book

I just finished reading The Four Kings by George Kimball about Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler. I loved it, it was a great read but I seemed to detect a little bias against Duran. He seems to be rather down played in the book. They didn't really cover enough about his triumph in the brawl in montreal IMO and seemed to hold SRL, Tommy Hearns and Marvin hagler in a higher regard. Maybe its just me but I dont think the book gives Duran his due personally, anyone else read the book? Like I said it was a great read I loved it but that would be my only criticism. thoughts on the book? on duran?
Ricky42791 is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000
Default Re: Four Kings Book

I'm about to give it another spin-through.

This isn't the first time I've heard Kimball accused of showing bias in it, but usually it's said that he skews pro-Hagler rather than anti-Duran.

I found it to be quite even-handed.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Oh will probably still read it but dont like him being biased towards anybody in the book
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

I thought it was a good read. He used well known facts. The book is going to be most favorable to Ray since he beat everyone of them. Duran lost to all of them, so just on that I am not sure it is biased. Duran won one fight out of 10 superfights, and then he lost the rematch and rubbermatch. Showing too much praise for one win would seemed biased in his favor.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Haha its probably because I AM BIASED for Duran and don't think he gets enough credit in the book lol I really like all of the fab four though it really showed their differently personalities and boxing styles and how they all came together. Definitely a great read. I've got Hands of Stone on the way. I'm sure Duran gets all the praise in the world in that book.
Ricky42791 is online now  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

Great book. Cant remember it being too biased but been a while since I read it.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky42791 View Post
Haha its probably because I AM BIASED for Duran and don't think he gets enough credit in the book lol I really like all of the fab four though it really showed their differently personalities and boxing styles and how they all came together. Definitely a great read. I've got Hands of Stone on the way. I'm sure Duran gets all the praise in the world in that book.
not enough books are written about boxers and by the boxers. It would be great to see how they felt before fights and if they were honest.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032

i got a chapter to go,great book,is there a video about of the howard cossell wig incident????
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Oh will probably still read it but dont like him being biased towards anybody in the book
He isn't.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

I enjoyed it. No particular bias towards anyone in my opinion.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

I've read this, hands of stone, SRL's autobiography, and Hitman: The Thomas Hearns story.

Four Kings was very good with the facts and figures that Kimball had clearly researched, it gave a good idea of the aftermath of each fight. I also liked the amateur backstory at the beginning. But ultimately it didn't really go into much detail about the fighters themselves. I thought SRL-Duran 1 & 2 got plenty of coverage in the book, I wouldn't say there was bias against Duran

Hands of Stone was a great read, and really did Duran's story and epic life justice. So much information about Duran's youth and life outside of the ring. All it was missing was narrative with Roberto's own perspective on how he felt about his big fights, and the great fighters he faced.

Sugar Ray Leonard's autobiography was my favourite, it was a really honest and personal account from Ray's own perspective. I loved reading about his preparation, including his thoughts and feelings leading up to his biggest fights. And the chaos of his life outside the ring

Hitman:The Thomas Hearns story was a good read, but it is more a narrative of his career, with newspaper quotes thrown in here and there. Doesn't really say much about the man himself.

I'd love to read a Marvin Hagler autobiography, but a guy like Marvin doesn't seem the type who'd be interested in writing one

All in all I'd recommend all of these books
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

4 Kings was a shoddy affair IMHO & they could'nt even get a genuine DURAN image for the cover. This book is an undisputed SRL ****sucking fest. Just look who's on top on the cover SRL whacking a Duran look alike. It oooozed smultz. A one way trip of the beautification of SRL for sainthood.
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranimal View Post
4 Kings was a shoddy affair IMHO & they could'nt even get a genuine DURAN image for the cover. This book is an undisputed SRL ****sucking fest. Just look who's on top on the cover SRL whacking a Duran look alike. It oooozed smultz. A one way trip of the beautification of SRL for sainthood.
I'm currently reading Four Kings and I couldn't help but notice that the dude supposedly getting whacked by Leonard didn't even look like Duran. Poor indeed.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The Four Kings book cover that I got in the US has all 4 fighters standing with their hands raised after a win.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonic View Post
The Four Kings book cover that I got in the US has all 4 fighters standing with their hands raised after a win.
Same here. Red jacket; four pics of equal dimensions.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum