Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

> Archie Moore said he hit harder than Marciano (who comes in at number 14) i mean he was a real hitter, how the hell did he get overlooked...
He broke a guys collar bone with a punch and gave Joey Maxim his only KO defeat in his whole career in one round.
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

I know he KO'd Joey Maxim, which is very impressive.
Who else did he KO ?
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I know he KO'd Joey Maxim, which is very impressive.
Who else did he KO ?
It isnt a list of who has KO'd the most top ranked boxers though, its just a list of 100 greatest punchers, and if he hits harder than Marciano and can knock out Joey Maxim who had an iron chin in one round then he deserves to be on the list in my opinion
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
It isnt a list of who has KO'd the most top ranked boxers though, its just a list of 100 greatest punchers, and if he hits harder than Marciano and can knock out Joey Maxim who had an iron chin in one round then he deserves to be on the list in my opinion

I don't know, I'm just asking. What then is the criteria for the list ?

I doubt quotes from Archie Moore are listed among the main criteria, but I certainly sit up and take notice when Archie speaks.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,125
vCash: 500
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

They overlooked a lot of guys. Aurelio Herrera, Lem Franklin, Dal Hawkins, Sheppard.

Sheppard also took out Tony Shucco, Buddy Walker, Mose Brown, Eddie Blunt and a host of others. He hurt or floored most of the people he fought. More of an incredibly hard puncher than a great puncher or finisher.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
I don't know, I'm just asking. What then is the criteria for the list ?

I doubt quotes from Archie Moore are listed among the main criteria, but I certainly sit up and take notice when Archie speaks.
Oh okay, well surf-bat was spot on, they must have seen though the only guy who knocked out Maxim, Walcott Charles ect ect couldnt do it but Sheppard did it in one i thought thatd give him a chance and then maybe theyd go over his record
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 AM   #7
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,125
vCash: 500
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

“I don’t know why but the front of my thighs hurt for a week after that bout. Felt like I got hit with a baseball bat. To this day whenever my ears start ringing I think that maybe Sheppard had something to do with it.” – Archie Moore


“I never knew anyone could hit that hard.” – Rusty Payne




"Harry Bobo was nailed on the button during a training session with Curtis Sheppard. It was as hard a punch as any man ever threw and ever afterwards through the years, Bobo occasionally complained of headaches. Most people do not realize that Sheppard was the hardest puncher the ring has ever produced. He could smash human bones with a single, crushing delivery."
--Eddie Kapphan, Trainer



I haven't come across any quotes from Joey Maxim in regards to his first round KO loss to the "Hatchetman", but I'm sure he would concur with all of the above. So would Charley Burley, who was wrecked by a body blow in a sparring session with Sheppard.


Eddie Kapphan, who managed both Sheppard and Harry Bobo, thinks that the sparring session in which Curtis knocked Harry out cold may have led to his premature death years later. According to Kapphan, from that point on Bobo had complained of headaches and had been having them really bad just before his death.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 AM   #8
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?



Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I was just being too lazy to check his record. The guy was a beast of a puncher in terms of making an impression.
I don't know if these lists ever give a clear criterion. "Greatest puncher" is very open to interpretation.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
“I don’t know why but the front of my thighs hurt for a week after that bout. Felt like I got hit with a baseball bat. To this day whenever my ears start ringing I think that maybe Sheppard had something to do with it.” – Archie Moore


“I never knew anyone could hit that hard.” – Rusty Payne




"Harry Bobo was nailed on the button during a training session with Curtis Sheppard. It was as hard a punch as any man ever threw and ever afterwards through the years, Bobo occasionally complained of headaches. Most people do not realize that Sheppard was the hardest puncher the ring has ever produced. He could smash human bones with a single, crushing delivery."
--Eddie Kapphan, Trainer



I haven't come across any quotes from Joey Maxim in regards to his first round KO loss to the "Hatchetman", but I'm sure he would concur with all of the above. So would Charley Burley, who was wrecked by a body blow in a sparring session with Sheppard.


Eddie Kapphan, who managed both Sheppard and Harry Bobo, thinks that the sparring session in which Curtis knocked Harry out cold may have led to his premature death years later. According to Kapphan, from that point on Bobo had complained of headaches and had been having them really bad just before his death.
Wow those quotes are crazy, i cant believe he got to Burley... Definatley has to be one of the hardest punchers to step in the ring.
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Do you know if anything happened when he sparred Baer and Louis?
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #11
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,641
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Eddie Kapphan, who managed both Sheppard and Harry Bobo, thinks that the sparring session in which Curtis knocked Harry out cold may have led to his premature death years later. According to Kapphan, from that point on Bobo had complained of headaches and had been having them really bad just before his death.
Unfortunately, a lot of guys got messed up in sparring, especially in those days. I don't know if things have changed, but you could always work as a world class sparring partner without having to pass a medical. Probably nothing's change.
Of course, back in those days, you could get fights anywhere, no one wanted to know about your headache.

Likelihood is - and correct me if you know otherwise - Bobo probably fought and sparred several times after getting clouted by Sheppard, which wouldn't have helped matters.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #12
thistle1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 1000
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

because in reality there could be 500 greatest punchers...

list can only account for so many and they are NEVER totally accurate!
thistle1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,263
vCash: 475
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Because its greatest puncher and not hardest puncher.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,125
vCash: 500
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Unfortunately, a lot of guys got messed up in sparring, especially in those days. I don't know if things have changed, but you could always work as a world class sparring partner without having to pass a medical. Probably nothing's change.
Of course, back in those days, you could get fights anywhere, no one wanted to know about your headache.

Likelihood is - and correct me if you know otherwise - Bobo probably fought and sparred several times after getting clouted by Sheppard, which wouldn't have helped matters.
I haven't got the incident pinpointed, so hard to say. But I do know that Bobo's career was truncated when he was forced to retire due to eye trouble. So maybe not as much as others have. But overall you're right. I'm sure he kept going and that it didn't help much.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Re: How is Curtis Sheppard not in the 100 Greatest Punchers List?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Because its greatest puncher and not hardest puncher.
But still seriously Holyfield chalky wright ect above him he broke a guys collar bone and he didnt even punch him there...
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013