Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default foreman v liston sparring sessions

watched a sonny liston documentary and it showed a few seconds of liston and foreman sparring, which i hadnt seen before, only photographs of it

not that i am one of the ones on here who reads too much into who won sparring sessions....but out of curiosity is there longer video footage available of them sparring ?
doug.ie is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
AREA 53
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: foreman v liston sparring sessions

I gather Sometimes the tale gets mis-credited to Prospect Foreman, but i understand it was actually Prospect Big Mac Foster who Ko'd Liston in sparring, the younger Liston used to spar with with Amos "Big Train' Lincoln, i think it was cornerman Milt Bailey who described a sparring session where Liston landed a big upper-cut on Amos, which knocked his Headguard flying...and for a split second or two the watchers thought that he had actually knocked Amos's Head off !

A young upcoming Cassius Clay once led Ingemar Johannsen a merry dance in sparring, but was also given something of a lesson himself in Left Jabbing when sparring with Ernie Terrell

I am sure there is many a fascinating stories and recollections to be told when these young Pups met the Top Dogs.
AREA 53 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i heard today on a podcast that clay in 61 used to run circles around willie pastrano in sparring......but again, sparring stories dont hold much weight with me
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
watched a sonny liston documentary and it showed a few seconds of liston and foreman sparring, which i hadnt seen before, only photographs of it

not that i am one of the ones on here who reads too much into who won sparring sessions....but out of curiosity is there longer video footage available of them sparring ?

I'm sure there is. I bet if someone managed to contact the director or editor of that documentary then it wouldn't be too hard to find the rest. There has to be more to that brief few seconds shown in the doc.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
outtieDrake
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

according to foreman , he said liston was the only guy who ever made him step back and become pressured.
outtieDrake is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
i heard today on a podcast that clay in 61 used to run circles around willie pastrano in sparring......but again, sparring stories dont hold much weight with me
An older Liston was floored by Ray Patterson in Sweden.Here is the link.

As you say, its sparring not fighting.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
mcvey is online now  Top
Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
I gather Sometimes the tale gets mis-credited to Prospect Foreman, but i understand it was actually Prospect Big MFoster who Liston in sparringac Ko'd , the younger Liston used to spar with with Amos "Big Train' Lincoln, i think it was cornerman Milt Bailey who described a sparring session where Liston landed a big upper-cut on Amos, which knocked his Headguard flying...and for a split second or two the watchers thought that he had actually knocked Amos's Head off !

A young upcoming Cassius Clay once led Ingemar Johannsen a merry dance in sparring, but was also given something of a lesson himself in Left Jabbing when sparring with Ernie Terrell

I am sure there is many a fascinating stories and recollections to be told when these young Pups met the Top Dogs.
I have a ring magazine in the attic that's quotes archie moore saying sonny liston gave a foster a beating in their sparring session.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREA 53 View Post
I gather Sometimes the tale gets mis-credited to Prospect Foreman, but i understand it was actually Prospect Big Mac Foster who Ko'd Liston in sparring, the younger Liston used to spar with with Amos "Big Train' Lincoln, i think it was cornerman Milt Bailey who described a sparring session where Liston landed a big upper-cut on Amos, which knocked his Headguard flying...and for a split second or two the watchers thought that he had actually knocked Amos's Head off !

Like when Mitch owned Larry.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
An older Liston was floored by Ray Patterson in Sweden.Here is the link.

As you say, its sparring not fighting.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Thanks for that McVey,seriously.But I find that really hard to believe,even later in Listons career.The last man to beat him,Leotis Martin,wouldn't have stood a chance at his peak,but in his later days Liston beat Chuck Wepner,who I think would have beat Patterson.I remember Patterson in GB.Won some,lost some ,against some good lads.None anywhere near Sonnys class.Maybe he slipped?
TED 822 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum