Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Vaas Montenegro
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Default Protein intake for people with one kidney?

I read this article, (linked below) from Lyle Mcdonald, where he states the following:

"A common criticism of high protein intakes/diets is the concern that they are damaging to the kidneys. This belief seems to stem from the fact that, in individuals with preexisting kidney damage, protein intake often has to be reduced to prevent further development of the disease. Incorrectly, this has been turned around to suggest that high-protein intakes are damaging to the kidneys"

I'm really getting hooked on lifting, and therefore sorting my diet out, trying to get around 1g/lb of bodyweight. I don't want to risk my health though. I only have one kidney.

Have there been done studies or articles on the matter?

Any input will be greatly appreciated, as it's something I'm really worried about!

Article: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
oskari
newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaas Montenegro View Post
I read this article, (linked below) from Lyle Mcdonald, where he states the following:

"A common criticism of high protein intakes/diets is the concern that they are damaging to the kidneys. This belief seems to stem from the fact that, in individuals with preexisting kidney damage, protein intake often has to be reduced to prevent further development of the disease. Incorrectly, this has been turned around to suggest that high-protein intakes are damaging to the kidneys"

I'm really getting hooked on lifting, and therefore sorting my diet out, trying to get around 1g/lb of bodyweight. I don't want to risk my health though. I only have one kidney.

Have there been done studies or articles on the matter?

Any input will be greatly appreciated, as it's something I'm really worried about!

Article: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Speak with your nephrologist, they know what's up. Also you can go without adding much protein, if you have a normal western diet you should be getting more or less enough protein as it is. Focus on working hard and getting surplus energy. And refrain from doing high repetition sets to failure, no reason to risk kidney damage from rhabdomyolysis..
oskari is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Your body actually more or less adapts to how much protein you get. A habitually high protein diet (2-3g/kg/day) upregulates enzymes involved in protein breakdown which essentially means that you need to keep consuming a high protein diet or you may lose muscle mass. That's likely the reason that scientists and nutritionists say that a strength athlete/bodybuilder only requires 1.4-1.7 g/kg/day while the average bodybuilder would probably scoff at anything less than 2g/kg/day. Don't go any higher than that 3 g/kg/day, 1gram per pound means that you're taking in 2.2g/kg/day. That 3g/kg/day is for people with two kidneys to avoid potential kidney damage, so I'd be careful with just one.. You need carbs and fats for reducing cortisol and producing testosterone etc. There's a lot more to gaining muscle than just eating protein, carbohydrates spare protein as well and positively influence genetic expression in response to resistance training.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
Vaas Montenegro
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskari View Post
Speak with your nephrologist, they know what's up. Also you can go without adding much protein, if you have a normal western diet you should be getting more or less enough protein as it is. Focus on working hard and getting surplus energy. And refrain from doing high repetition sets to failure, no reason to risk kidney damage from rhabdomyolysis..
Thanks for the answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Your body actually more or less adapts to how much protein you get. A habitually high protein diet (2-3g/kg/day) upregulates enzymes involved in protein breakdown which essentially means that you need to keep consuming a high protein diet or you may lose muscle mass. That's likely the reason that scientists and nutritionists say that a strength athlete/bodybuilder only requires 1.4-1.7 g/kg/day while the average bodybuilder would probably scoff at anything less than 2g/kg/day. Don't go any higher than that 3 g/kg/day, 1gram per pound means that you're taking in 2.2g/kg/day. That 3g/kg/day is for people with two kidneys to avoid potential kidney damage, so I'd be careful with just one.. You need carbs and fats for reducing cortisol and producing testosterone etc. There's a lot more to gaining muscle than just eating protein, carbohydrates spare protein as well and positively influence genetic expression in response to resistance training.
I weigh 72 kg, so 100g protein a day would be enough to get stronger on?

And you wrote: "That 3g/kg/day is for people with two kidneys to avoid potential kidney damage, so I'd be careful with just one.."

By that, do you mean, that I should be careful just taking in 1g/kg/day protein?
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaas Montenegro View Post
Thanks for the answer



I weigh 72 kg, so 100g protein a day would be enough to get stronger on?

And you wrote: "That 3g/kg/day is for people with two kidneys to avoid potential kidney damage, so I'd be careful with just one.."

By that, do you mean, that I should be careful just taking in 1g/kg/day protein?
Yeah that should be fine, the most important thing is getting enough calories in total and lifting obviously.

I'm just saying that I'd be careful with just one kidney, I'm not sure if there is much scientific literature looking at the issue so I'd err on the side of caution, especially when it's likely that the extra protein would make no difference.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Vaas Montenegro
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Yeah that should be fine, the most important thing is getting enough calories in total and lifting obviously.

I'm just saying that I'd be careful with just one kidney, I'm not sure if there is much scientific literature looking at the issue so I'd err on the side of caution, especially when it's likely that the extra protein would make no difference.
Really appreciate you taking your time to help here

are you saying that the extra protein likely wouldn't make a difference in getting strong? I've have always heard 1g/lbs as minimum.
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaas Montenegro View Post
Really appreciate you taking your time to help here

are you saying that the extra protein likely wouldn't make a difference in getting strong? I've have always heard 1g/lbs as minimum.
No the extra protein would get used as energy or stored as fat if you're on a calorie surplus, as I mentioned before taking in that extra protein may do more harm than good. If you're working out you need a little extra protein but your body adapts and uses that protein better at the same time, the protein you take in gets used more efficiently. Aim for that 100-120 grams a day and that should be enough to support anything you do, if you also take in enough carbs and total calories.
I've heard that 1gram per pound of bodyweight recommendation regurgitated over and over again as well, I don't think it's based on anything other than the idea of 'just in case' or 'I heard you should' rather than anything scientific based.
If you're training to get stronger the gains you make will be based more on neural factors and smart training than anything else. So hype yourself up and lift heavy or take some CNS stimulants before you workout if you're that way inclined, and rest well.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,291
vCash: 277
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaas Montenegro View Post
Thanks for the answer



I weigh 72 kg, so 100g protein a day would be enough to get stronger on?

And you wrote: "That 3g/kg/day is for people with two kidneys to avoid potential kidney damage, so I'd be careful with just one.."

By that, do you mean, that I should be careful just taking in 1g/kg/day protein?
Strength is a function of the nervous system for the most part, at a very high level amount of muscles helps but only because they can perfectly contract all of their muscle fibres and recruit motor units:

Here is a guy 88kg (194lbs) squating 210 (461lbs) for 10.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

That is real strong and as you can see he is not a huge dude.
196osh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Vaas Montenegro
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
No the extra protein would get used as energy or stored as fat if you're on a calorie surplus, as I mentioned before taking in that extra protein may do more harm than good. If you're working out you need a little extra protein but your body adapts and uses that protein better at the same time, the protein you take in gets used more efficiently. Aim for that 100-120 grams a day and that should be enough to support anything you do, if you also take in enough carbs and total calories.
I've heard that 1gram per pound of bodyweight recommendation regurgitated over and over again as well, I don't think it's based on anything other than the idea of 'just in case' or 'I heard you should' rather than anything scientific based.
If you're training to get stronger the gains you make will be based more on neural factors and smart training than anything else. So hype yourself up and lift heavy or take some CNS stimulants before you workout if you're that way inclined, and rest well.
Your help's really appreciated. I had gotten into my head (espcially from reading Lyle Mcdonalds' articles) that it was more or less impossible to get strong with that little protein. Feel like a black cloud has been lifted from my mind
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Vaas Montenegro
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 196osh View Post
Strength is a function of the nervous system for the most part, at a very high level amount of muscles helps but only because they can perfectly contract all of their muscle fibres and recruit motor units:

Here is a guy 88kg (194lbs) squating 210 (461lbs) for 10.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

That is real strong and as you can see he is not a huge dude.
Yeah I know strength is a function of the nervous system. I Just always thought that protein helped the nervous system in some way.... Actually I have zero idea what protein does!

And clarence is badass!
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Alex001
newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Sufferer of kidney stones my doctors advised me to cut my protein intake.
Alex001 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
doylexxx
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,351
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

as a doctor once said

"a normal diet should contain all the protein vitamins and minerals that you need"


Whats a normal diet ?

"oh thats diet that contains all the protein vitamins and minerals that you need"

most "normal diets" DO NOT have thsi and thats the problem, people think they get enough

nevermind a "western diet"

rofl
doylexxx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #13
Vaas Montenegro
newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
as a doctor once said

"a normal diet should contain all the protein vitamins and minerals that you need"


Whats a normal diet ?

"oh thats diet that contains all the protein vitamins and minerals that you need"

most "normal diets" DO NOT have thsi and thats the problem, people think they get enough

nevermind a "western diet"

rofl


hahah sup KOOL
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #14
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylexxx View Post
as a doctor once said

"a normal diet should contain all the protein vitamins and minerals that you need"


Whats a normal diet ?

"oh thats diet that contains all the protein vitamins and minerals that you need"

most "normal diets" DO NOT have thsi and thats the problem, people think they get enough

nevermind a "western diet"

rofl
That may be true in regards to some vitamins and minerals but certainly not when it comes to protein, you'd have to just about be starving yourself to not get enough protein from a western diet.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
therm
newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Default Re: Protein intake for people with one kidney?

Do You know Przemysław Saleta? The guy has only one kidney and using some heavy roids. Im not placing him as an example but if u re excersising and eating healthy food (this means no artificial vitamins and protein shakes containing lots of junk) u should have no worries. Im not a doctor but if Saleta is okay You should be fine also. Just choose vegs instead of supplements and fresh meat or cottage chease in place of whey protein.
therm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013