Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

Who would have the best chance?

Why?

Could you make anyone a 50.50 proposition? Or better?
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #2
Clarky Cat
Stalwart
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

They're all too old.
Clarky Cat is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Default Re: Benn, Eubank, Watson, Collins v Ward? Who has the best chance to upset SOG?

H2h at his very best Benn was the best UK super middle ever. He wasn't the most consistent but he was the most complete. At his best he'd beat ward imo
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #4
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Interesting that you'd name him the best when both Eubank and Watson beat him. He's the only guy here that lost to two of the others. You think the extra 8lbs makes a big difference here? Plus the American adventure?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Interesting that you'd name him the best when both Eubank and Watson beat him. He's the only guy here that lost to two of the others. You think the extra 8lbs makes a big difference here? Plus the American adventure?

Benn improved though, certainly from the Watson fight. Have you still not seen him vs Mclellan? Id agree with Benn having the best chance, then Eubank. I loved Watson but Ward is a better boxer, and i think he'd decision Eubank in a snoozefest. Benn at his very very best would give him hell.

Who do you think Mcgrain ?
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Hell yeah I saw it, I saw it on the night.

I think Watson is the most complete out of these guys. Unquestionably the best technician he was also a brute of a man and almost as durable as Eubank all in. But Benn might be the best bet here just because he's such a savage proposition.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #7
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Hell yeah I saw it, I saw it on the night.

I think Watson is the most complete out of these guys. Unquestionably the best technician he was also a brute of a man and almost as durable as Eubank all in. But Benn might be the best bet here just because he's such a savage proposition.

Sorry mate that was it you aint watched it since, fair enough. I agree Watson was the most complete out of the 3 , he had everything really but Ward is a bit special too. I dont think weve seen him in with anyone like Benn before, obviously Froch is very aggressive but Benn was faster and more fluid.Harder puncher too.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
upgrayedd
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
Sorry mate that was it you aint watched it since, fair enough. I agree Watson was the most complete out of the 3 , he had everything really but Ward is a bit special too. I dont think weve seen him in with anyone like Benn before, obviously Froch is very aggressive but Benn was faster and more fluid.Harder puncher too.
I think the fact that Benn was so intimidating counts for something also.
upgrayedd is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

benn didnt do much against watson and malinga a couple of pure boxers. ward easily nullifies him in my opinion and benn is looking for a way out before the end
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
nufc_jay

vCash:

Collins for me
Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolkinchance View Post
benn didnt do much against watson and malinga a couple of pure boxers. ward easily nullifies him in my opinion and benn is looking for a way out before the end

I dont think Ward could take the shots that Watson did in the Benn fight, he ate alot of hard shots, part of the gameplan was for Benn to punch himself out, Ward couldnt do that. Plus he was raw as fcuk then.Both Malinga fights yeah he was awful but in these fantasy match ups its generally meant to be when at their best and he wasnt against Malinga, particulary the rematch.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
I dont think Ward could take the shots that Watson did in the Benn fight, he ate alot of hard shots, part of the gameplan was for Benn to punch himself out, Ward couldnt do that. Plus he was raw as fcuk then.Both Malinga fights yeah he was awful but in these fantasy match ups its generally meant to be when at their best and he wasnt against Malinga, particulary the rematch.
Ward would take Benn apart. Terrible analysis. He can outfight and nullify Benn's offence.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Benn lost to all three of them.

Collins tends to get forgotten. Not that his wins over Benn are worth much at all, but he tends to get overlooked generally by the British fans.
People say he came along and beat up faded/shot versions of Eubank and Benn, but they were often ignorant of the fact that Collins had been campaigning in the world class for just as long as any of them.
He was never really beaten up, never knocked out.
168 possibly suited him best.

I think Collins possibly has the best chance here.
But the other three have great chances too.

In fact, I wonder whether the question should be "Who does Ward stand the best chance of beating ?" because all four would be tougher than the guys he's faced so far.

I wouldn't make him favourite, so "upset" wouldn't apply.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Ward would take Benn apart. Terrible analysis. He can outfight and nullify Benn's offence.

Nice one

Out of interest how would he " out fight " Benn. Note im not saying Benn would win, i was answerring Mcgrains question.I dont think he would beat Ward but he hasnt fought anyone like a prime aggressive Nigel Benn.Watson was an excellent boxer but that wasnt all he had. He hit harder than Ward, was more aggressive and could take a hell of a shot.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122

Waston, but he'd be a distinct outsider nowhere near 50/50

He was the most technically sound of the 4 & was big & strong enough not to be manhandled in the clinches by Ward. Ward would win on points, 116-112 type of margin.

I reckon Collins would be a tougher fight for Ward than Benn & Eubank would be the easiest.
DrMo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum