Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157
Cool ***ESB's Official MMA Prediction League: Rules and Questions Thread***

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This thread will serve to host the weekly and monthly scores for everyone participating in the MMA Prediction League.

Everyone is free to participate. Each week or month - the host will start a new thread with the latest event cards. Once the new MMA Prediction thread is posted - you are free to list your choices for winners on that thread. After the event is complete, the weekly host will tally the scores and post them back in this thread. The host will post the current event tallies for everyone that participated - as well as posting the ongoing tallies for the calendar year 2009. It is the host's responsibility to post the score for the individual event as well as adding to the total so that we can track it easily through the rest of the year.

The scoring breaks down as follows:

4 points for picking winner.
3 points for picking the round (and winner - obviously).
3 points for picking UD/SD, KO/TKO or submission.

For a possible total of 10 points.
Quote:
+3 points bonus for naming the exact submission used to secure the victory.

Here are some typical submissions for anyone that is not familiar with Jiujutsu - but would like a chance to earn bonus points.

Basics:

armbar (see Frank Mir vs Tim Sylvia or UFC 2 Royce Gracie vs Jason Delucia - standard arm lock submission)

straight armlock
(see Pride 10 Sakuraba vs Renzo Gracie. Usually applied against an opponent that has grabbed one from behind. Figure four grab is applied to one arm - then spun out to the side to lock the arm straight to break the arm at the elbow.)

guillotine choke
(Pride 20 Ken Shamrock vs Don Frye 1 - this is the standard choke with an opponent in the front with his head down)

rear naked choke
(BJ Penn vs Matt Hughes 1 - this is the standard choke from behind utlitzing both arms around an opponent's neck)

bare handed choke
(see Affliction 1 Fedor choking T. Syliva or Anderson Silva vs Henderson)

triangle choke
(UFC 4 Royce Gracie vs Dan Severn standard choke using the legs)

shoulder lock/kimura
(see Fedor vs Randleman - this armlock was named after the Japanese fighter Kimura when he broke Helio Gracie's arm with this lock)

Americana/figure four armlock/key lock
(It's used so often I can't even think of a standout example because it's the most basic armlock from the cross body position)

kneebar
(Frank Mir vs Brock Lesnar or UFC 8 Ken Shamrock vs Kimo 1)

straight ankle lock
(usually just referred to as "ankle lock")(see Andre Arlovski vs Tim Sylvia 1)

heel hook ankle lock
(most dangerous twisting ankle lock that breaks the ankle and dislocates the knee. See Ken Shamrock vs Pat Smith in UFC 1)

neck crank
(standard wrestler submission pulling the head forward - although variations include twisting the head sideways. See UFC 12 Mark Coleman vs Dan Severn)

alligator roll choke
(applied by using front headlock and rolling into it to tighten the choke. See Randy Couture vs Mike Van Arsdale or Nogueira vs Heath Herring 2)

clock choke/barnyard
(this choke has many names. I can't remember specific fights for examples on this one yet. Maybe someone will remember and remind me. Mario Sperry vs ________ in Pride. Drawing a blank.)

intermediate/advanced submissions:

gogoplata (advanced choke using legs and arms. See Nick Diaz vs Gomi)

omoplata
(advanced shoulderlock utlizing the legs. Maneuver is applied from the bottom and spinning out to the side. Will have to site specific example later. Drawing a blank for now.)

That's all there is to it. Now go find the latest thread and make your choices for this week!

If you are unfamiliar with the fighters or MMA in general - use the fight finder over at Sherdog to research each fighter's record and then scout out their fights on MMA-Core if you have the time.

Have fun with it. And remember, Gina loves you.

**ESB'S Official 2009 MMA Prediction League Totals for 2009:

Top Ten:

1) LB3000 - 692
2) AJAX - 655
3) sugarngold - 642
4) Grievesy - 638
5) rekcutnevets - 569
6) solidchin - 561
7) LHL - 385
One Punch KO - 379
9) beebs - 357
10) quebecwarrior - 338

And the rest:

11) 2fastbyfar - 261
12) Rattler - 198
13) Monoxide - 188
14) immie - 176
15) wholesomefolsom - 167
16) Outerdrake - 163
17) jrow - 146
1 yogster740
19) Mazallan - 81
20) flexb - 72

21) 196osh - 67
22) BewareofDawg - 45
23) Vitor Belfort - 43
24) codeman99998 - 42
25) Koa - 34
26) BigT - 29
27) chimba - 29
2 tripod - 25
29) hrak - 16
30) BIGTIMETIMMY - 15

31) scurlaruntings - 10
32) radab - 10
33) Dinamite Kid - 8
34) IntentionalButt - 4
35) beecho1988 - 4
36) KINGLAMAFAO - 0
37) Kestrel - 0 - Deserves bottom spot for predicting Rogers to KO Fedor.

Last edited by sugarngold; 02-04-2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Added FINAL TOTALS for 2009.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

Default Re: ***ESB's Official 2009 MMA Prediction League: Hosts, Scores & Tallies***

I'm going to host this weekend's UFC predictions. Please post here if you are interested in hosting one week.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

Default Re: ***ESB's Official 2009 MMA Prediction League: Hosts, Scores & Tallies***

Here are some typical submissions for anyone that is not familiar with Jiujutsu - but would like a chance to earn bonus points

EDIT: Submissions list added to OP.

Last edited by sugarngold; 05-11-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarngold View Post
Here are some typical submissions for anyone that is not familiar with Jiujutsu - but would like a chance to earn bonus points.

armbar
guillotine choke
rear naked choke
bare handed choke
triangle choke
gogoplata
omoplata
shoulder lock/kimura
Americana/figure four armlock
kneebar
straight ankle lock
heel hook ankle lock
neck crank

Thanks. I should know most of these given how long I've been following the sport (since UFC was illegal in most states and only available on VHS at blockbuster ) but there was a pretty wide gap between those early mixed-discipline days and when I started getting back into it (circa GSP-Penn). And even still, I've never been a hardcore fan who trolls the net hungry for knowledge (like with boxing). I think this place is actually the only resource - other than actually watching WEC, EliteXC and UFC cards...and talking to random meatheads who feel the need to strike up conversations about MMA because I'm a Caucasian with a shaved scalp - that I've ever gleaned any information about the sport.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Q: can't something that would be ruled a TKO in boxing be considered a submission in certain situations in MMA? Like if someone taps out under fire from strikes, that's technically a sub and not a knockout, right?

I seem to remember that happening at least once or twice.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 05-08-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Thanks. I should know most of these given how long I've been following the sport (since UFC was illegal in most states and only available on VHS at blockbuster ) but there was a pretty wide gap between those early mixed-discipline days and when I started getting back into it (circa GSP-Penn). And even still, I've never been a hardcore fan who trolls the net hungry for knowledge (like with boxing). I think this place is actually the only resource - other than actually watching WEC, EliteXC and UFC cards...and talking to random meatheads who feel the need to strike up conversations about MMA because I'm a Caucasian with a shaved scalp - that I've ever gleaned any information about the sport.
No problem. Glad to help. When I get more time - I'll list some examples of these maneuvers from fights so people will become more familiar with them.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #7
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Q: can't something that would be ruled a TKO in boxing be considered a submission in certain situations in MMA? Like if someone taps out under fire from strikes, that's technically a sub and not a knockout, right?

I seem to remember that happening at least once or twice.
You are correct that there have been times when a "tap out due to strikes" has been called a submission - but for our purpose those incidences will be considered TKO's. It's basically the same as turning one's back in boxing.

We're going by the literal definition for submissions in that it has to be a leverage maneuver applied to one's opponent causing a tap out or referee stoppage (as with Tim Sylvia vs Frank Mir when Sylvia refused to tap to the armbar but the ref stopped the fight and rightly so as Sylvia's arm was broken).
Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
Grievesy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 309

Do I post my predictions in this thread or the other one?
Grievesy is offline  Top
Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievesy View Post
Do I post my predictions in this thread or the other one?
Post in the other thread, Grievsey. I'm going to use this one for the scores each month - that way everyone will know their standing through the year.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Do i add a submission to the predictions then?
LHL is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
Do i add a submission to the predictions then?
You can if you like - but it's not required. Predicting the proper submission will garner bonus points. The more points you accrue the more bragging rights you will have and the more you can say "STFU N00b!"
Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

I updated the submissions list. If anyone has any corrections to make or further examples to offer - please feel free to do so and I'll update the list accordingly.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
bulakenyo
Am I a boxing fan yet?
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I liked the vbookie version of this.

I might try joining this league.

I'll probably suck at it.
bulakenyo is offline  Top
Old 05-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #14
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulakenyo View Post
I liked the vbookie version of this.

I might try joining this league.

I'll probably suck at it.
Welcome aboard. Feel free to find the UFC 98 prediction thread and start making your choices. Use Fight Finder to research fighter's records and then scout out Youtube if you have the time.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #15
Grievesy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 309

Youtube isn't that good for UFC fights as they get taken down.

This one is much better:

Grievesy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum