Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default How Do You counter The Counter Jab ?

I was watching somebody spar yesterday and well he was a first timer sparring a guy that had a decent amount of experience and the more experienced guy wouldn't throw anything and just wait for him to jab and then catch or parry and then jab right away himself and i havnt sparred him yet myself but it got me thinking of what i would do against him since it got the other guy not commiting to his jab and hesitating to throw it. Im thinking about it cause i'm all jabbing and havnt had a guy that just waits until you throw the jab, so far i'm going to throw lead rights and lead left hooks but i like working off the jab mainly what would you do against this guy? (his guard is both hands up by his face with his palms facing inwards pretty much like this)[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I was also thinking about throwing overhand rights to pass around his left glove
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: How Do You counter The Counter Jab ?

most guys parry isnt perfect...so you fake the jab and than dip to your left and fire a straight right hand into his face. also just have some head movment to follow up your jab..get comfortable changing levels and jabbing to the body..than changing levels and jabbing to the face....
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
daly5050
Journeyman

Be careful assuming that he will always counter the jab.

You can catch his jab, so it goes you jab he catches, he jabs you catch easiest way to do this is probably put your right glove in a position to catch his jab as you throw your own, depending on how far he commits to his jab you can try throwing a left hook as you catch his jab and you might catch his coming in. Again, don't assume he will always throw his jab after catching yours.

A jab to the body is also effective here, because he can't catch & counter that.

Also you can jab knowing he is going to catch and counter it. Throw your jab, and then change levels and fire a straight right to the body, this should make his jab fly over your right shoulder.

Try and mix it up and be unpredictable, after he gets countered a few times he should become hesitant and throwing that same counter jab.
daly5050 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #4
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daly5050 View Post
Be careful assuming that he will always counter the jab.

You can catch his jab, so it goes you jab he catches, he jabs you catch easiest way to do this is probably put your right glove in a position to catch his jab as you throw your own, depending on how far he commits to his jab you can try throwing a left hook as you catch his jab and you might catch his coming in. Again, don't assume he will always throw his jab after catching yours.

A jab to the body is also effective here, because he can't catch & counter that.

Also you can jab knowing he is going to catch and counter it. Throw your jab, and then change levels and fire a straight right to the body, this should make his jab fly over your right shoulder.

Try and mix it up and be unpredictable, after he gets countered a few times he should become hesitant and throwing that same counter jab.
good advice..another thing he can do is switch the jab to a hook..of course you have to be able to hook off a jab..but if you can do that than its a good weapon.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #5
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

also..the new guy likely steps in too far with his own jab..maybe even leans in..probably why he is so easy to counter.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
also..the new guy likely steps in too far with his own jab..maybe even leans in..probably why he is so easy to counter.
Yeah he got dropped coming in too much looked like a knockdown but i didnt really think it was because he was hit with just a jab, but after he said he was dazed by it so i guess it was a proper knockdown.
Thanks for the advice though I was thinking about the right to the body on the day actually and really like that idea,
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Also what do you guys think about lead rights and lead left hooks seeing as he tends to do well going off other peoples jab? Good idea or not?
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Also what do you guys think about lead rights and lead left hooks seeing as he tends to do well going off other peoples jab? Good idea or not?
i think if the guy always parrys the jab and counters it with a jab than you can shot the right...

but first you want to fake your own jab...pump it to about the mid way point..than bring it back fast slip to your right with your left hand doing a cover guard and shot the right straight down the middle......

if he is parrying the jab at the center..you can turn it into a lead hook on contact
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #9
daly5050
Journeyman

Quote:
I don't think so.. unless ALL he does is counter the jab, which I doubt.

Basically you are saying you are going to abandon your jab because you are scared he will counter it, what happens if he starts countering your right hand and left hook too?

Of course you can mix it up a bit to keep him guessing but I would suggest sticking with the jab shoot it high then low, double it up ect but don't just abandon it for no real reason.
daly5050 is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #10
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daly5050 View Post
I don't think so.. unless ALL he does is counter the jab, which I doubt.

Basically you are saying you are going to abandon your jab because you are scared he will counter it, what happens if he starts countering your right hand and left hook too?

Of course you can mix it up a bit to keep him guessing but I would suggest sticking with the jab shoot it high then low, double it up ect but don't just abandon it for no real reason.
Oh i meant just include it so im not just jabbing the entire time trying to go off what hes doing the whole time, i dont want what he does to dictate how it goes the whole time so i want to be the one leading and have him worrying about what i'm going to do thats just why i thought of the lead right and left hook
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #11
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If the guy can catch the jab every time that means the other guy isn't jabbing well, he's telegraphing it or throwing it to a rhythm. Jab to the body, feint, lead with different punches, use your footwork to change angles etc. there's a million things you can do.
dealt_with is online now  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 AM   #12
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

double jab, he pats down the first jab, then gets hit with the second. If you miss both jabs, take up the space, move forward and pressure, throw another jab. Keep him thinking
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
oskari

Quote:
I was watching somebody spar yesterday and well he was a first timer sparring a guy that had a decent amount of experience and the more experienced guy wouldn't throw anything and just wait for him to jab and then catch or parry and then jab right away himself and i havnt sparred him yet myself but it got me thinking of what i would do against him since it got the other guy not commiting to his jab and hesitating to throw it. Im thinking about it cause i'm all jabbing and havnt had a guy that just waits until you throw the jab, so far i'm going to throw lead rights and lead left hooks but i like working off the jab mainly what would you do against this guy? (his guard is both hands up by his face with his palms facing inwards pretty much like this)[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I was also thinking about throwing overhand rights to pass around his left glove
To me that seems like a session of limited/technique sparring..
oskari is offline  Top
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskari View Post
To me that seems like a session of limited/technique sparring..
well they are newer fighters and he is newer to fighting and he is looking for some input
Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

There are many ways to counter a jab.

Catch and counter with your own jab, slip and hook to body, duck and right to the body, side step and hook to the head...

Me, I became a master at the right hand over the jab, and I mean master. I drilled this move and fell so in love with it, it became my pet counter; It is muscle memory for me to throw a right hand over a jab. Some times this gets me in trouble, other times, it scores me easy knockouts.

Having a pet, or rote, counter to a jab is something a boxer should have. Never JUST defend the jab. If you see it coming well enough, or if it's too slow or too sloppy, your body should have something in the wings to make the other guy pay.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing